they really are. 

#103 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40707 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 12:30 PM

Bloomberg article HERE on the R1T. I like how they refer to the front trunk as the FRUNK. :lol: The article is critical of the truck but does have some praise for it as well. Rivian won't be lifted to some high status without thorough testing and honest reviews... they can use all of that as necessary feedback which is the breakfast of champions.  Also, I'd love one of these but I'm pretty sure I can't afford it and it would probably take me awhile to get one.  B72, can you just send me one of the RIVIAN badges that go on the truck so I can just stick it to the back of my Rogue?  No one will notice.  :P

Edited by ER Pemberton, 28 September 2021 - 12:54 PM.

#104 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38505 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:03 PM

Bloomberg article HERE on the R1T. I like how they refer to the front trunk as the FRUNK. :lol: The article is critical of the truck but does have some praise for it as well. Rivian won't be lifted to some high status without thorough testing and honest reviews... they can use all of that as necessary feedback which is the breakfast of champions. Also, I'd love one of these but I'm pretty sure I can't afford it and it would probably take me awhile to get one. B72, can you just send me one of the RIVIAN badges that go on the truck so I can just stick it to the back of my Rogue? No one will notice. :P

Yeah, I’m not surprised Bloomberg was overly critical of it but every other article I’ve seen has been really high praise.

I had to 3D scan one of those badges a couple weeks ago and I did kinda want to pocket it but it wasn’t worth my jorb…

ETA: Bloomberg got it all wrong anyway. It was never intended to be a work truck. It’s a luxury adventure vehicle.

Edited by Brian72, 28 September 2021 - 01:04 PM.

#105 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27160 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:17 PM

The term "Frunk" is used all the time.  I started using it immediately upon buying the Boxster.  My friends with Teslas also use the term.  I remember even using that term 15 years ago when I had an MR-2

#106 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57000 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:21 PM

Dang, that camp kitchen option is $5,000?  Wowza.

#107 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38505 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:25 PM

Dang, that camp kitchen option is $5,000? Wowza.

Yeah it’s crazy. It really gets pricey when you add that and the whole overland package.

#108 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40707 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, I’m not surprised Bloomberg was overly critical of it but every other article I’ve seen has been really high praise.

I had to 3D scan one of those badges a couple weeks ago and I did kinda want to pocket it but it wasn’t worth my jorb…

ETA: Bloomberg got it all wrong anyway. It was never intended to be a work truck. It’s a luxury adventure vehicle.

It's weird because the reporter mentioned that the vehicle was nimble on the paths, had great range and really amazing torque and quickness, good capacity for hauling cargo, had lots of innovative toys, etc.  The issue was with uncomfortable seats, the fact that it couldn't accept a plow, the touchscreen shouldn't get wet and they got a flat tire which could have happened on any ride.  He said he hit a sharp rock that pierced the sidewall... that's more about Pirelli than Rivian.  They also didn't like the jack and apparently one the R1T's wipers and windows started to shiver their timbers... apparently something because these were test vehicles and not the production vehicles currently being sold.  They mentioned the steep price as well but the article is mostly positive. 

#109 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76105 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:32 PM

The term "Frunk" is used all the time.  I started using it immediately upon buying the Boxster.  My friends with Teslas also use the term.  I remember even using that term 15 years ago when I had an MR-2

ford was calling it that at the lightning intro as well

and they said the kitchen demand was far higher than they suspected.

#110 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40707 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:32 PM

It does seem a little Thurston Howell III, but for those with extra disposable income, this is pretty slick, you gotta admit:

rivian-camp-kitchen.jpg

#111 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38505 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:38 PM

It's weird because the reporter mentioned that the vehicle was nimble on the paths, had great range and really amazing torque and quickness, good capacity for hauling cargo, had lots of innovative toys, etc. The issue was with uncomfortable seats, the fact that it couldn't accept a plow, the touchscreen shouldn't get wet and they got a flat tire which could have happened on any ride. He said he hit a sharp rock that pierced the sidewall... that's more about Pirelli than Rivian. They also didn't like the jack and apparently one the R1T's wipers and windows started to shiver their timbers... apparently something because these were test vehicles and not the production vehicles currently being sold. They mentioned the steep price as well but the article is mostly positive.

Yeah this reporter was really seemed like he went in thinking this was a work truck and that’s where he failed and I’m not sure what more he expected out of the seats because they are actually really comfy.

#112 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40707 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:43 PM

Yeah this reporter was really seemed like he went in thinking this was a work truck and that’s where he failed and I’m not sure what more he expected out of the seats because they are actually really comfy.

He also specifically mentioned that this truck is aimed at adventurers, hikers, campers, off-roaders, etc. including the fact that a Patagonia guy is on the board of Rivian and that he envisions a "Patagonia Edition" of the R1T.  So... it wasn't designed to plow or be a conference room for contractors on the move.  Weird article, honestly.  But I would go back and say that criticism can play an important role going forward... it should just come from customers of Rivian who consistently mention some things that they would like to see done differently... not a reporter who doesn't understand what the vehicle is designed to do.  

#113 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38505 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 28 September 2021 - 01:45 PM

Exactly

#114 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57000 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 September 2021 - 02:02 PM

But why isn't it a work truck, too?!?!   :angry:

#115 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38505 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 28 September 2021 - 02:11 PM

The same reason the escalades and navigators aren’t work trucks, I guess…

Edited by Brian72, 28 September 2021 - 02:13 PM.

#116 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44593 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 28 September 2021 - 03:27 PM

But why isn't it a work truck, too?!?! :angry:

Don’t act like pimpin ain’t work

It ain’t easy but it’s necessary

#117 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27160 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 28 September 2021 - 04:06 PM

Dang, that camp kitchen option is $5,000? Wowza.

I’ll bet the oven even shuts off when you don’t need it.

#118 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40707 posts

Posted 28 September 2021 - 04:35 PM

HEYO!

#119 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57000 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:38 PM

Trash!

#120 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15824 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 28 September 2021 - 07:53 PM

I can get down with an 800hp minivan. The Renault Espace F1 was one of my favorite Gran Turismo cars.

Now I want to hook up the old PS2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users