#41 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15824 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:49 PM

That’s the very top end. Most people will get the XLT or Lariat which will be under $50k and under $60k, respectively, after the tax rebate.

And you will still need to buy a 2nd battery to match Rivians range. And still have half the drive motors per axle.

Edited by BlKtRe, 14 September 2021 - 07:49 PM.

#42 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38505 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:56 PM

And you will still need to buy a 2nd battery to match Rivians range. And still have half the drive motors per axle.

Those Rivian drive motors are fecking cool!

#43 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3048 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:06 PM

I havent seen a nose that ugly since Karl Malden.

#44 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11245 posts
  • LocationWinter...

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:14 AM

I havent seen a nose that ugly since Karl Malden.

Yeah. They aren't attractive vehicles. Better than the Tesla truck...

#45 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54605 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:23 AM

I think it looks kind of spaceage/modern but I suspect they'll change it to something that will age better in the coming years.  for now it's a good way to get some early brand recognition when they are starting from scratch.

#46 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15824 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 September 2021 - 06:49 AM

I think it looks kind of spaceage/modern but I suspect they'll change it to something that will age better in the coming years. for now it's a good way to get some early brand recognition when they are starting from scratch.

Yea. Reminds me of something on a sci-fi film. Its not my favorite front end for sure but I’m looking at the performance/ build quality which seems pretty good. Im not totally sold on how green EV is right now but this is a great start to the future.

Edited by BlKtRe, 15 September 2021 - 06:50 AM.

#47 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12616 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:15 AM

Hey Brian! How big are these? I looked over the website, looks really cool, but I’m having a hard time picturing. Are they close to full size pickup? Or more like Ranger/Gladiator/Colorado sized? I’d love to start setting $ aside and look in a couple years when the Mrs. pays off the Wrangler.

#48 Enid Puceflange

Enid Puceflange

Old Squinty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7196 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:44 AM

One thing I hadn't realized was the McLaren tie up - seems like a lot of the engineering comes from there.....   

#49 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57000 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:52 AM

Real world range on the Lightning is still TBD (probably TBD on the Rivian, as well, though we'll find out soon).  I'm not sure the 4 motors vs 2 really matters.  The F150 is claiming 563hp/775 lb-ft.  That's more than enough for anyone.

#50 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38505 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:55 AM

Hey Brian! How big are these? I looked over the website, looks really cool, but I’m having a hard time picturing. Are they close to full size pickup? Or more like Ranger/Gladiator/Colorado sized? I’d love to start setting $ aside and look in a couple years when the Mrs. pays off the Wrangler.

I think it’s more the midsize range

#51 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76105 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 15 September 2021 - 07:58 AM

Real world range on the Lightning is still TBD (probably TBD on the Rivian, as well, though we'll find out soon).  I'm not sure the 4 motors vs 2 really matters.  The F150 is claiming 563hp/775 lb-ft.  That's more than enough for anyone.

forget it, he's on a roll.

#52 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15824 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:04 AM

Real world range on the Lightning is still TBD (probably TBD on the Rivian, as well, though we'll find out soon). I'm not sure the 4 motors vs 2 really matters. The F150 is claiming 563hp/775 lb-ft. That's more than enough for anyone.

Everything I’m reading is you will have a choice on range with the Lightning meaning a 2nd battery can be purchased for extended range. From early reports it will take both batteries to meet the range of the Rivian. As you said time will tell. But my bet is the Lightning will cost way more than early reports for performance/options that compare to Rivian. Common sense tells me that having more drive motors equals better performance, towing and payload. We shall find out soon enough though. Exciting either way.

Edited by BlKtRe, 15 September 2021 - 08:05 AM.

#53 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76105 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:09 AM

Everything I’m reading is you will have a choice on range with the Lightning meaning a 2nd battery can be purchased for extended range. From early reports it will take both batteries to meet the range of the Rivian. As you said time will tell. But my bet is the Lightning will cost way more than early reports for performance/options that compare to Rivian. Common sense tells me that having more drive motors equals better performance, towing and payload. We shall find out soon enough though. Exciting either way.

some of the preproduction extended range trucks are showing remaining range in the 400+ area.  meaning the Riv would also need its extended range batt to compete.  

Obviously, this means a Lightning without said cargo should be able to go much further on a full charge. “So this truck in our studio, with no weight in the trunk, was quoting me 367 miles. And from the indicator on the dashboard, the battery was about 80-ish percent full. Which, if I’m doing the math right, that extrapolates out to about 460 miles at 100 percent.”

https://electricvehi...f-150-lighting/

#54 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97670 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:11 AM

I'm skeptical of the accuracy of those range estimates. It will obviously vary quite a bit based on driving style, load, hills, etc, so the amount the truck tells you it has remaining on a full charge before you've even driven it seems like a theoretical maximum at best

#55 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76105 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:14 AM

I'm skeptical of the accuracy of those range estimates. It will obviously vary quite a bit based on driving style, load, hills, etc, so the amount the truck tells you it has remaining on a full charge before you've even driven it seems like a theoretical maximum at best

I tend to agree, especially on a pre-production model.  real world results will show up soon enough.  so let's bag on it anyway.  :P 

#56 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54605 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:25 AM

The F150 is claiming 563hp/775 lb-ft. That's more than enough for anyone.

How dare you!!!

#57 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57000 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:32 AM

How dare you!!!

I'm telling you.  Until you feel that kind of torque from an EV you have no idea.  

#58 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38505 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:36 AM

I think for the average person “range” is a misnomer since you’d just plug it in every night. Charging an EV isn’t like filling up with gas unless you’re on a long road trip.

#59 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57000 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:45 AM

some of the preproduction extended range trucks are showing remaining range in the 400+ area.  meaning the Riv would also need its extended range batt to compete.  

https://electricvehi...f-150-lighting/

There have been a few people who saw the same thing on the Lightning, indicating it may have 400+ mile real world range but I did see one counter point to that which seemed very reasonable.  If they had just ported the Mach-E interface to the demo Lightnings then it may be confused about the range capability due to a much larger battery.  I can understand if Ford sandbagged a little on the predicted range, like saying their target was 300 and the actual EPA range was 310 or 320 but sandbagging 25% doesn't make sense.

I have a day 1 reservation for the Lightning so I can get one of the first trucks off the line but I would jump over to a Rivian if the price was right and I thought I could get it in a reasonable amount of time.  As of now I don't think I'd get a Lightning until middle of next year, at the earliest.  Definitely could be end of year or later depending on production ramp up.  I don't know what kind of order backlog the Rivian has.  Looks like they are asking for $1000 for a pre-order so the line probably has less fence-sitters than the F150 line.

#60 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57000 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 September 2021 - 08:48 AM

I think for the average person “range” is a misnomer since you’d just plug it in every night. Charging an EV isn’t like filling up with gas unless you’re on a long road trip.

Correct, unless you road trip every weekend then 300 mile range will cover you 99.9% of the time.  Even for roadtrips the fast charging doesn't extend the trip an unmanageable amount.  maybe and extra hour or two for a full day of driving.  That's not a big deal, IMO, if you're only doing it occasionally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users