#21 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14908 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:01 AM

I've not heard of sanding latex paint to prep before the next coat...

You can paint right over it. Did you wait 4 weeks before you put on your second coat? I don't think so...

This. I'd let it dry a day (just out of laziness) and then go right over it. Done it many times.

#22 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:03 AM

This. I'd let it dry a day (just out of laziness) and then go right over it. Done it many times.

Exactly.  Always works.  Modern paints are fantastic.  I actually have to whip out some Kilz (or Zinsser?) for this issue I had in the basement.  I'm not looking forward to it because it's thick and hard to work with and compared to the modern paints, it stinks.  But... I have a specific need for it... some water marks on the white trim.  

#23 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:26 AM

Man I guess I've been a sucker for an old wives tale, I thought a light sanding before painting was mandatory. Even between coats depending on the surface. Alright, you guys made me feel better about going for it. I've got a space heater in there with the fan on, it's a tight space so it's already heated up with a lot of air flow, I'll hit it tonight after work.

#24 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48757 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:28 AM

I do a light sanding and wipe with a damp rag before the first pass. But not between coats unless i've got some streaks or dropplets. 

#25 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:51 AM

I do a light sanding and wipe with a damp rag before the first pass. But not between coats unless i've got some streaks or dropplets. 

The damp rag is good just to get excess powder off the wall after sanding.  For me, I spend a lot of time preparing the wall by scraping any bumps and filling any holes/marks and sanding down.  I feel like you get a lot of mileage out of preparing the wall well prior to painting.  Then if there are still some blemishes, use a higher nap roller like 5/8 or even 3/4... it will hide imperfections.  The other trick I learned is to go from "eggshell" down to "matte", one sheen lower.  The look is really nice and will also hide blemishes although it's probably not ideal for a bathroom.  That said, I painted the basement bathroom with a matte paint and there is a shower down there so I make sure the vent is always on when I use that shower.  Good luck.  

#26 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24372 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:58 AM

The only thing I've ever done is wash down a wall with soap and water before painting it, especially in a kitchen or bathroom.  Kitchens have the grease layer and bathrooms have layers of dried condensation on them.  That's about it.  

#27 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95556 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:59 AM

The only thing I've ever done is wash down a wall with soap and water before painting it, especially in a kitchen or bathroom. Kitchens have the grease layer and bathrooms have layers of dried condensation on them. That's about it.

Same here

#28 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74379 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:02 AM

The only thing I've ever done is wash down a wall with soap and water before painting it, especially in a kitchen or bathroom.  Kitchens have the grease layer and bathrooms have layers of dried condensation on them.  That's about it.  

i guess i'm an asshole, only place i wash down is right around the stove, just paint the over the rest, never had a problem.

#29 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48757 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:04 AM

i guess i'm an asshole, only place i wash down is right around the stove, just paint the over the rest, never had a problem.

Nah. An asshole would smack it with the sledge and say, "HOW ABOUT THAT COLOR??"

#30 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24372 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:05 AM

I'm sure it would be fine for adhesion.  I always do it for a smooth wall, as the grease and condensation traps the dust sticking to the wall.  Then you roll over it and can ball up the dust nerdels. 

#31 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11414 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:24 AM

Sorry, just burn the whole thing down and start from scratch. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users