#1 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6460 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:40 AM

Well I made a whoopsie with a paint color that looks terrible in my bathroom. The nice soft terra cotta color I picked looks like psychopath orange in this small space, no natural light. Oh well, time to repaint right? Not so fast, says the internet. I need to wait for this shit to fully cure before I can sand and reapply primer, then repaint. No problem! I can wait, it should only take... 4 ####ing weeks! Holy shit, I can wait that long I guess but do I have to? I'm all set up ready to paint now so this would be a bit of an inconvenience to wait. On the other hand if I can't get the new paint to adhere to this shit that means rushing to get the paint on will be for naught. Any opinions out there?

Edited by siouxbrewer, 26 July 2021 - 06:41 AM.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31796 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:47 AM

I would think a few hours would be fine.

#3 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53713 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:52 AM

I would think a few hours would be fine.

I probably wouldn't go that short. I'd think 24-48 hours unless it's really humid or something like that.

#4 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96547 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:55 AM

I would just treat the base/wrong paint color as my "primer". If you sanded before this you shouldn't need to sand again unless you have globs and streaks to sand out. And there is no need for another coat of primer on fresh paint IMO. I'd wait 24 hours then have at it with the new color.

#5 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40139 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:55 AM

You can go quicker than that.  I have done a lot of painting in this house including something very similar to you... chose the wrong color and then painted over it.  It may have taken my wife 2 days to choose a new color.  I did not sand because I had already sanded prior to doing the first coat and I did not prime over it... I just put two coats of the new color over the wrong color.  That was Benjamin Moore Regal in a MATTE finish (to cover as many blemishes as possible).  Also, it's funny you mention the natural light, etc.  We chose a delicate off-white color that looked nice but down there in the basement it was washed out and looked like a dirty bedsheet.  It made me realize that when you have no natural light, you have to choose your colors differently.  We chose something a little bolder and it came through as we originally intended.  

Edited by ER Pemberton, 26 July 2021 - 06:58 AM.

#6 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6460 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I was worried about this being a bathroom that adhesion to the new (wrong color) paint may be problematic for long term durability. I prepped the surface before putting the psycho orange color down so here's hoping that was sufficient. I just want my bathroom back sooner than later. Sharing one with the wife is fine but it reminds us that we are happiest when we both have our own. 

#7 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40139 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I was worried about this being a bathroom that adhesion to the new (wrong color) paint may be problematic for long term durability. I prepped the surface before putting the psycho orange color down so here's hoping that was sufficient. I just want my bathroom back sooner than later. Sharing one with the wife is fine but it reminds us that we are happiest when we both have our own.

Sincerely.  

Edited by ER Pemberton, 26 July 2021 - 07:04 AM.

#8 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49258 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:19 AM

I'd just change the lightbulbs to daylight.

#9 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6460 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:21 AM

I'd just change the lightbulbs to daylight.

Tried that, but went the other way. Something about the daylight bulbs make this room look crazy orange, it was better when I switched the bulbs to cool light but then I have to look at my face in the mirror so that's not a great idea. 

#10 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49258 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:23 AM

Tried that, but went the other way. Something about the daylight bulbs make this room look crazy orange, it was better when I switched the bulbs to cool light but then I have to look at my face in the mirror so that's not a great idea. 

Haha, at least you tried though. 

#11 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75402 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:28 AM

I would just treat the base/wrong paint color as my "primer". If you sanded before this you shouldn't need to sand again unless you have globs and streaks to sand out. And there is no need for another coat of primer on fresh paint IMO. I'd wait 24 hours then have at it with the new color.

on a color like orange I'd definitely put down a gray tinted primer over it.  but i definitely wouldn't sand it.

#12 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6460 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:31 AM

on a color like orange I'd definitely put down a gray tinted primer over it.  but i definitely wouldn't sand it.

So we decided to just carry the hallway color into the bathroom, it's a soft, sage green and I know it won't cover the orange well. Could I just use some KIlz that I have on hand to cover?

#13 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40139 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:34 AM

So we decided to just carry the hallway color into the bathroom, it's a soft, sage green and I know it won't cover the orange well. Could I just use some KIlz that I have on hand to cover?

If you have enough of the green, just use two coats.  I have never had a situation where two coats did not cover properly but again it might come down to the brand of paint.  I like Benjamin Moore and almost always use it.  Kilz is good to cover water marks/stains and it may also help protect the drywall in humid bathroom conditions but I don't think I would use it here.  Just go with two coats and wash your hands.  It will cover.  

#14 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24538 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:36 AM

I've not heard of sanding latex paint to prep before the next coat...  

You can paint right over it.  Did  you wait 4 weeks before you put on your second coat?  I don't think so...  

#15 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75402 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:36 AM

liek ER said, if you're using a good quality paint like Ben Moore or Sherwin you'll probably be ok.  the kilz will assist in bleed thru tho and its a whole lot cheaper than finish paint.

#16 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6460 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:40 AM

I've not heard of sanding latex paint to prep before the next coat...  

You can paint right over it.  Did  you wait 4 weeks before you put on your second coat?  I don't think so...  

Good point. That was my thought as well, but the internet is full of experts so I thought I'd ask the brain trust.

liek ER said, if you're using a good quality paint like Ben Moore or Sherwin you'll probably be ok.  the kilz will assist in bleed thru tho and its a whole lot cheaper than finish paint.

Also good point

#17 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11074 posts
  • LocationWinter...

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:45 AM

If you're worried about it not being cured, put some heat in the room for a day and it'll bake the moisture out and be good to go.

I wouldn't sand.  I would use killz or similar.  You can get the kilz tinted to be heading in the direction you want to go. 

#18 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49258 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:48 AM

Pressure wash the walls and burn the house down. Then sell it "as is." People will be on their knees begging you for the privilage.

Agree with everyone else, kilz then a coat or two (depending on quality) of the new stuff. 

#19 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40139 posts

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:52 AM

Don't bother with the Kilz unless there is a specific need for it.  It's not necessary.

Pressure wash the walls and burn the house down. Then sell it "as is." People will be on their knees begging you for the privilage.

Also this.  It's important to list it "as is".  Very important.  :lol:  It's like being in a drive-thru and making a point of saying it's "to go".  

#20 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75402 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:52 AM

If you're worried about it not being cured, put some heat in the room for a day and it'll bake the moisture out and be good to go.

I wouldn't sand.  I would use killz or similar.  You can get the kilz tinted to be heading in the direction you want to go. 

i would definitely get the kilz tinted if you go that route.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users