#22 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:30 AM

Are there not other factors at play? I haven't gone back but I suspect I could make a really good extract beer now that I have more knowledge and a better process.

That's it exactly.  It's usually not the extract, it's the brewer.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:56 AM

That's it exactly.  It's usually not the extract, it's the brewer.

well in this case porter did the whole shebang so it seems like a pretty even comparison in general.

#24 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 09 August 2021 - 08:22 AM

Back in old Greenboard days Old Fart and I would host extract / AG competitions at his house in VA. I took his extract IPA recipe and did an AG clone of it. It was amazingly close. The only difference was the AG had a bit more mouthfeel to it even though I mashed at 140 F. When it came to the heavier beers like big porters and RIS, his extract versions were lame. However, his IPA was excellent!

I wouldn't even attempt an extract pils.

In the FWIW dept. Years ago at mashout I ran into the head brewer from Victory. Although myself and others tasted otherwise he swore his Prima Pils was 100% pils malt and lagered. We all thought it was a blend with domestic 2 row and "lagered" with WLP001 chico. OTOH their Golden Monkey is freakin' awesome. Occasionally I can get it down here in TN!

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 August 2021 - 08:35 AM

it's incredibly common for pros to use a blend of 2-row and pils from what I've seen.  they are trying to make money after all. 

#26 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22074 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:05 AM

Back in old Greenboard days Old Fart and I would host extract / AG competitions at his house in VA. I took his extract IPA recipe and did an AG clone of it. It was amazingly close. The only difference was the AG had a bit more mouthfeel to it even though I mashed at 140 F. When it came to the heavier beers like big porters and RIS, his extract versions were lame. However, his IPA was excellent!

I wouldn't even attempt an extract pils.

In the FWIW dept. Years ago at mashout I ran into the head brewer from Victory. Although myself and others tasted otherwise he swore his Prima Pils was 100% pils malt and lagered. We all thought it was a blend with domestic 2 row and "lagered" with WLP001 chico. OTOH their Golden Monkey is freakin' awesome. Occasionally I can get it down here in TN!

Golden Monkey is one of my favorites. Been drinking that for years and years.

#27 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 August 2021 - 08:40 AM

Had it at the brewery. EXCELLENT!! Naturally it's better than the bottled version. Would have liked to have a second glass, but not at 8% and I'm driving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users