16 replies to this topic

#1 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4781 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:46 PM

Left the house earlier to visit a project site and less than a quarter mile down the road a guy on a bicycle wiped out on a curb, initially I though he’d been hit but no car near him and no sign of impact. Whipped around and he was out cold (no helmet) so I called 911. As I was grabbing the first aid kit out of the jeep another witness got back, she was a nurse and had a far better kit so I let her attend to him while I directed traffic and spoke to 911. She looked up and said he reeked of booze which explained the wipeout.
Cops got there before the ambulance and checked his pack where he had a dozen airplane bottles of booze with another dozen empty. Cop was interested in bagging the “evidence” and the ambulance carted him off.
So yeah, biking while drunk is stupid but it sure seems like the cop was on the trail of a dui/public intoxication charge before the guy even got on a gurney. Kinda pisses me off but also the guy was drunk on a busy road and certainly could have caused a bigger problem if not getting himself killed, on the other hand I don’t really think the guy needs a bunch of legal trouble for only hurting himself when he’s already gonna have a big ass bill from medical services.
Meh, at any rate I just hope the guy is gonna be okay in the end and maybe gets the help to stop doing stupid shit that he needs.

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43822 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:50 PM

Raid the evidence locker

#3 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12338 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:52 PM

He could have swerved in front of a car and got killed causing some messed up emotions for the driver. At the same time give him a slap on the wrist and a warning.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43822 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:55 PM

The defensive driving classes I have taken have all told me there’s no dui for biking. This is NYS but hey…

#5 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:55 PM

Biking drunk, yeah I've done it a time or two. Could have really ruined someones day.

#6 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:59 PM

Admittedly, I bike to a brewery about 6 miles away and have a couple beers and then continue on my bike.  I am not BLOTTO, sloppy drunk and I am also on trails for the most part.  I think a lot of people bike to a location to have a beer or two and then continue.  24 airline bottles of booze though... that's a bit on the nose.  

#7 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48757 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:07 PM

Admittedly, I bike to a brewery about 6 miles away and have a couple beers and then continue on my bike. I am not BLOTTO, sloppy drunk and I am also on trails for the most part. I think a lot of people bike to a location to have a beer or two and then continue. 24 airline bottles of booze though... that's a bit on the nose.

Lightweight needs to know his limits

#8 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7281 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:08 PM

Did it all the time in college. Definitely not anywhere near as bad as a car, but worse than walking drunk. Legal penalty should reflect the potential cost to society - shouldn't be as severe as driving your car drunk.

#9 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:10 PM

It's a DUI in kansas

#10 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:38 PM

My daughter and I got onto a Lime or Bird in her college town (Bloomington, IN) completely hammered.  We were at a tailgate that started around 730am and we stayed through the whole football game and were truly impaired.  Came out of the stadium, went back to the tailgate spot for more beers and then out to the street where we found a couple Limes/Birds laying on the ground and tried to go back to her house.  Whoa.  We were stopped by a very fine officer who asked us nicely to just continue on foot.  We obliged.  And laughed.  

Edited by ER Pemberton, 23 July 2021 - 05:39 PM.

#11 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48757 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 23 July 2021 - 05:49 PM

My daughter and I got onto a Lime or Bird in her college town (Bloomington, IN) completely hammered. We were at a tailgate that started around 730am and we stayed through the whole football game and were truly impaired. Came out of the stadium, went back to the tailgate spot for more beers and then out to the street where we found a couple Limes/Birds laying on the ground and tried to go back to her house. Whoa. We were stopped by a very fine officer who asked us nicely to just continue on foot. We obliged. And laughed.

What sort of sober hallucination is a lime or bird?

#12 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25421 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:00 PM

Something like 1/5 bicycle fatalities have blood alcohol above .08

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39217 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:03 PM

What sort of sober hallucination is a lime or bird?

Electric scooters.

#14 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4781 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:58 PM

Admittedly, I bike to a brewery about 6 miles away and have a couple beers and then continue on my bike. I am not BLOTTO, sloppy drunk and I am also on trails for the most part. I think a lot of people bike to a location to have a beer or two and then continue. 24 airline bottles of booze though... that's a bit on the nose.

I’ll take my bike occasionally to meet friends several miles away but usually end up leaving it locked up downtown and Uber home, it’s usually late, 6-7 miles and an uphill slog to get home though so there’s very little motivation for drunken late night riding.
When I lived by the college years ago it was a common thing to hit the bars by bike though, I can see how 1/5 of bike fatalities are alcohol related.

#15 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24372 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:28 PM

It's a DUI in kansas

MI too. Not sure about CO.

#16 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10870 posts
  • LocationWinter...

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:31 PM

My daughter and I got onto a Lime or Bird in her college town (Bloomington, IN) completely hammered. We were at a tailgate that started around 730am and we stayed through the whole football game and were truly impaired. Came out of the stadium, went back to the tailgate spot for more beers and then out to the street where we found a couple Limes/Birds laying on the ground and tried to go back to her house. Whoa. We were stopped by a very fine officer who asked us nicely to just continue on foot. We obliged. And laughed.

Did they question if you were her date? Or get dad?

I mean... Bloomington...

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13951 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:16 PM

More than likely he was only biking because his license was taken away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users