#2 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:18 AM

Cool story though. Went to cleveland once in college and thought the deco and brutalist architecture was sick. 

#3 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28859 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:23 AM

Cleveland Wannabes

Cleveland Neverwas

#4 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10870 posts
  • LocationWinter...

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:27 AM

A big Meh from me.  I don't see "Indians" as offensive.  Certainly not in the way that "Redskins" was.  But I can see why they wanted to change.  

Guardians is as good as anything I guess.  Neutral, some references to the city's history...  It's good enough. 

#5 Thag

Thag

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46451 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:27 AM

If you have never watched the movie Kill the Irishman…do eeett! Nice piece of Cleveland history.

#6 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38177 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:28 AM

If you have never watched the movie Kill the Irishman…do eeett! Nice piece of Cleveland history.

Great fecking movie!

#7 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15289 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:29 AM

Does this mean they're remaking Major League? 

#8 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:29 AM

The Cleveland Chesters

#9 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:38 AM

I think Chief Wahoo was a bit offensive but I don't think "Indians" is offensive.  Also, I remember someone saying that "Redskins" was a reference to how Indians would paint their face with red war paint before a battle.  That could have been true and it could have been damage control.  So now what about the Chiefs, Blackhawks, Braves, Seminoles, Illini, etc?  :P

Edited by ER Pemberton, 23 July 2021 - 10:38 AM.

#10 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8532 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:38 AM

Should have been the Cleveland Spiders.

#11 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:40 AM

https://www.mlb.com/...me-to-guardians

That'll solve everything!

I assume you're against it.  It's not meant to solve anything.  It's just a small gesture among other small gestures.  

#12 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10870 posts
  • LocationWinter...

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:41 AM

I think Chief Wahoo was a bit offensive but I don't think "Indians" is offensive.  Also, I remember someone saying that "Redskins" was a reference to how Indians would paint their face with red war paint before a battle.  That could have been true and it could have been damage control.  So now what about the Chiefs, Blackhawks, Braves, Seminoles, Illini, etc?  :P

They will all go down eventually I think. 

#13 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74376 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 23 July 2021 - 10:54 AM

I dont think Blackhawks is going anywhere.  it's a reference directly to the tribe that is from the area and pays respect to them.  they dont have a silly mascot that portrays native americans in a bad way.  I've not heard anyone really complains about the blackhawks use of the tribe name.

Illini got rid of The Chief years ago but kept the name since, again, the illiniwek tribe is from the region.

Braves I could see going away.

Seminoles will stay for the same reasons the Illini will stay.  some of their school traditions may have to go tho, we'll see on that.

#14 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39217 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:01 AM

I assume you're against it.  It's not meant to solve anything.  It's just a small gesture among other small gestures.  

Nah, I don't care.

#15 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11414 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:01 AM

The Seminoles, IIRC, have an actual positive relationship with the Seminole nation.  

#16 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:07 AM

I dont think Blackhawks is going anywhere.  it's a reference directly to the tribe that is from the area and pays respect to them.  they dont have a silly mascot that portrays native americans in a bad way.  I've not heard anyone really complains about the blackhawks use of the tribe name.

Illini got rid of The Chief years ago but kept the name since, again, the illiniwek tribe is from the region.

Braves I could see going away.

Seminoles will stay for the same reasons the Illini will stay.  some of their school traditions may have to go tho, we'll see on that.

I thought the same about the Blackhawks and the "greatest logo in sports", "One of the original six" and all that.  It makes sense.  I could see the Braves being safe but that tomahawk chop probably made things more precarious.  That's probably offensive.  I believe I heard the Chiefs fans doing it at a home game too.  That could spell doom.  With the trends we're seeing about respecting all people (like Simpson's voiceover people who did Apu, Dr. Hibbard, etc. and they were white), I think these changes are just a part of the landscape to come.  I can only assume that many years ago these teams chose these names out of respect.  You don't name your team after a group of people you think are inferior or who you make fun of so I believe good intent was originally there.  That tomahawk chop, tho.   :ph34r:

#17 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18554 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:25 AM

I thought the same about the Blackhawks and the "greatest logo in sports", "One of the original six" and all that.  It makes sense.  I could see the Braves being safe but that tomahawk chop probably made things more precarious.  That's probably offensive.  I believe I heard the Chiefs fans doing it at a home game too.  That could spell doom.  With the trends we're seeing about respecting all people (like Simpson's voiceover people who did Apu, Dr. Hibbard, etc. and they were white), I think these changes are just a part of the landscape to come.  I can only assume that many years ago these teams chose these names out of respect.  You don't name your team after a group of people you think are inferior or who you make fun of so I believe good intent was originally there.  That tomahawk chop, tho.   :ph34r:

Well, the Braves came from Milwaukee and moved to ATL in the 1960s. They used to have a mascot named Chief Knock-a-Homma. They got rid of the mascot and the logo some time back but yeah, the Tomahawk Chop needs to go.

Edited by DuncanDad, 23 July 2021 - 11:32 AM.

#18 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74376 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:26 AM

The Seminoles, IIRC, have an actual positive relationship with the Seminole nation.  

I've heard this as well.

#19 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9380 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:29 AM

Guardians of what? Second place in the AL Central?

Edited by Car ChuckRam, 23 July 2021 - 11:29 AM.

#20 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:36 AM

They will all go down eventually I think. 

This

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users