#41 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12896 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 July 2021 - 12:37 PM

grocery stores here have a pretty reasonable variety of stuff. sure there are lots of IPAs but I can still get craft lagers, wheat beers, porters, strong ales, etc. there may not be a ton of examples of every style but they are there.

A “regular” Porter barely exists around these parts. Porters with chocolate, coconut, hot peppers, peanut butter? Sure, they’re everywhere. But a robust Porter? Good luck

I was once on a zoom call with the Sierra Nevada. I asked her “your brewery is IN MY STATE, why can’t I buy your stout or Porter locally.” She told me I could find them at the brewery

Edited by Howie, 03 July 2021 - 12:38 PM.

#42 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44597 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 July 2021 - 12:57 PM

Rest assured, that’s because no one buys those styles. It’s a shame, but it’s the reality.

Homebrewers will once again be the people who keep these styles alive.

#43 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12896 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 July 2021 - 12:59 PM

Rest assured, that’s because no one buys those styles. It’s a shame, but it’s the reality.

Homebrewers will once again be the people who keep these styles alive.

I know. My comment was a retort to the comment above about there being plenty of choices on the shelves

#44 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57005 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 03 July 2021 - 01:15 PM

My local shop has done a kickass job recently of stocking brown ale, stout and porter. And they group them all together. There’s like a 10’ long section of shelf with all dark beers. It’s awesome. Just picked up a porter and two brown ales today. Of course some are flavored but there are plenty normal versions.

#45 Thag

Thag

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46806 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 03:04 PM

Since needing to reduce my carbs, I rarely drink beer anymore. My wife took my to a brewery for our anniversary. I ordered a raspberry beer that was heavenly, really made me miss beer. I then ordered a Kentucky bourbon beer…..it was not impressive and a bit off putting. Hammered that down and stuck with the raspberry. I miss beer when it is exceptional, but for the most part I don't.

#46 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12896 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 July 2021 - 03:20 PM

Since needing to reduce my carbs, I rarely drink beer anymore. My wife took my to a brewery for our anniversary. I ordered a raspberry beer that was heavenly, really made me miss beer. I then ordered a Kentucky bourbon beer…..it was not impressive and a bit off putting. Hammered that down and stuck with the raspberry. I miss beer when it is exceptional, but for the most part I don't.

That’s me with avoiding carbs. I’m drinking a lot of those damn seltzer things, a lot more liquor, and a lot of Miller Lite

My main driver to lose weight is so I can drink more beer

#47 Thag

Thag

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46806 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 03:24 PM

I do more liquor now, but if I found a seltzer I enjoyed, I would be on it. Two carbs per can is pretty impressive. Have any stood out to you with a full flavor?

#48 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12896 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 July 2021 - 04:42 PM

I do more liquor now, but if I found a seltzer I enjoyed, I would be on it. Two carbs per can is pretty impressive. Have any stood out to you with a full flavor?

I prefer the ones that are dry with no artificial sweeteners. Funky Buddha is the best I’ve found

They taste like a Bubly/AHa/etc seltzer with vodka in it

#49 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44597 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 July 2021 - 05:28 AM

Truly is decent. Honestly tho I prefer Polar or whatever and vodka. Make it as strong as you want and the taste is cleaner

#50 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54637 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 July 2021 - 05:55 AM

Truly is decent. Honestly tho I prefer Polar or whatever and vodka. Make it as strong as you want and the taste is cleaner

I assume this is also more economical in terms of booze per $.

I haven't tried this but I suspect the mandarin orange or lemon lime flavors would be good with vodka.

Edited by Mando, 04 July 2021 - 05:57 AM.

#51 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44597 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 July 2021 - 06:01 AM

Maybe. Seltzers are like a quarter a can. Depends on the vodka. Figure a 12 pack is good for a liter. $5 a 12 pack, $20 a liter.

I wanna say a 12 of Truly is like $15 or so

#52 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54637 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 July 2021 - 06:33 AM

Maybe. Seltzers are like a quarter a can. Depends on the vodka. Figure a 12 pack is good for a liter. $5 a 12 pack, $20 a liter.

I wanna say a 12 of Truly is like $15 or so

so 12 truly is 12*12*0.05 = 7.2oz of alchol

1L of 80 proof vodka = 1L*0.4 = 0.4L = 13.52oz of alcohol

so it looks like you need to back the alcohol off by half.  so pretty close to the same price for your prices.

I can get 1.75L of smirnoff vodka for $17 tho.

the price of truly appears to be the same for me ($15).

I just bought a 12 pack of 12oz cans for $3.50

so making my own something like $3.50 + $10 = $13.50

I could knock down the price more by buying 2L of polar for 99 cents.  that puts a 12 pack at $2.10

$2.10 + $10 = $12.10

or premade for $15.

not too bad for premade.  better than I would have expected.

Edited by Mando, 04 July 2021 - 06:33 AM.

#53 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57005 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 July 2021 - 06:46 AM

Leave it to Mando to do an ROI of alcoholic seltzer.   :lol:

#54 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54637 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 July 2021 - 06:55 AM

Leave it to Mando to do an ROI of alcoholic seltzer.   :lol:

I can't help it.

#55 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44597 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 July 2021 - 06:58 AM

I make strong drinks :P

#56 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34291 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:44 AM

I just flat out refuse to drink anything brewed locally labeled NE, hazy, or juicy IPA. I have to ask if it's not labeled. Maybe 1 or 2 breweries do it decently but I can't stand the sight of it and more often than not it gives me the shits.

I'll take a traditional west coast clear or very nearly clear ipa with bitterness, flavor, and aroma over that other crap, but its tougher to find.

I pretty much drink English, Belgian, and German styles because of the shitty IPA and lack of well brewed American styles locally.

#57 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54637 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:50 AM

I just flat out refuse to drink anything brewed locally labeled NE, hazy, or juicy IPA. I have to ask if it's not labeled. Maybe 1 or 2 breweries do it decently but I can't stand the sight of it and more often than not it gives me the shits.

I'll take a traditional west coast clear or very nearly clear ipa with bitterness, flavor, and aroma over that other crap, but its tougher to find.

I pretty much drink English, Belgian, and German styles because of the shitty IPA and lack of well brewed American styles locally.

what do you think is causing the gastrointestinal distress?  hop particulate?  yeast?  do hefs do that to you too?

can you get a lot of English, Belgian and German styles that are made locally or are you buying imported stuff?

around here I'm not sure there are many people making true (or even attempting to be true) English style beers (is Redhook ESB really authentic?  I dunno.  I used to really like it though).  it seemed like a more common thing back in the early 2000s but now it seems to mostly be gone.  Belgian is more common but not super common.  We do have a few good breweries that make German/continental lagers up here and praise the baby jesus for that.  they are often my savior when I don't feel like having IPA or just want something different.

I can still get some good porters around here which is good.  I've always had a soft spot for smutty robust porter.  just a well made and affordable beer.

Edited by Mando, 04 July 2021 - 07:53 AM.

#58 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12896 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:51 AM

but I can't stand the sight of it and more often than not it gives me the shits.

This is also why I feel like much of it is suspended yeast

#59 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54637 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:54 AM

oh man I just looked at the redhook website and their year round offerings are kind of sad...

big ballard IPA, ESB, Long Hammer IP, Peaches for me IPA and storm surge hazy IPA.

they used to have a lot more stuff than this all the time if I remember correctly and Long Hammer was the only year round IPA.

and double WTF apparently the NH location is gone??? :(  oh man it's cisco now.  booooooo!!!!  I had a lot of fond memories going to that brewery, doing the $1 tour and essentially getting a full pint worth of beer out of it while listening to the old guy who did the tour do his standup routine.  then have a bite in the pub and drink one of my favorite nitro porters.  and then head out to downtown portsmouth for a night on the town hitting up all my favorite spots.

Edited by Mando, 04 July 2021 - 07:56 AM.

#60 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44597 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 July 2021 - 08:07 AM

Ommegang, which since its inception has made (IMO) fantastic Belgian style beers. They have seen sales plummet on those beers and now focus on NE IPA for growth. As far as the suspended yeast, these beers aren't filtered (or shouldn't be anyway) so there will be yeast in there like anything else. I can't speak for other breweries, but we crash the yeast out and package off of a standpipe that's in the bright tank. There's some yeast that will inevitably settle out in the can or keg, but its not really much different than what you would see in bottled or kegged home brew.

We don't make just NE style IPA's tho. Our flagship IPA uses 001 so I don't know if that can really qualify as NE. I wouldn't call it a West Coast IPA either tho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users