#21 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15102 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 02 July 2021 - 02:15 PM

Hold your breath, chug your beer, take a bite out of someone's skull, knock the table leg out without dropping the table, stack your teeth with steak, chug another beer, chew, and exhale.

I had the brisket sandwich.

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56619 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 July 2021 - 02:29 PM

I don’t mind the hazy ipas, my issue with how the brewing industry has progressed is that there’s so much more mediocre beer than there was a few years ago. It seems even more prevalent with IPAs. It feels like I haven’t had a new, interesting IPA in ages.

#23 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53711 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 July 2021 - 02:35 PM

I don’t mind the hazy ipas, my issue with how the brewing industry has progressed is that there’s so much more mediocre beer than there was a few years ago. It seems even more prevalent with IPAs. It feels like I haven’t had a new, interesting IPA in ages.

my brother feeds me a pretty good stream of commercial IPAs from the local area (NH/MA/ME/VT) and there are a lot of tasty ones out there.

#24 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44135 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 July 2021 - 04:19 PM

I agree with this except new and interesting isn’t a great way to measure beer. For IPA is kinda like wine in that you’re trying to get the full expression of the hops you’re using

#25 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14098 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 05:46 PM

Some were hit or miss but I’m drinking a Brut IPA right now that is delicious. B-43 from Old Nation Brewing. Nice find.

I like just about anything that’s clearly well made.

#26 deejaydan

deejaydan

Comptroller of Spooning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1633 posts
  • LocationFennville, MI

Posted 02 July 2021 - 06:42 PM

I think I'm turning into a grumpy old man.  Haze and sour flavors are flaws in beers.  I guess I get the NE "style", and some of that is okay, but my local has stopped making the regular IPA, and only has hazy now.

And they all but stopped porters and stouts, and have a sour game.  I guess the sour game is good, but that's still a bug, not a feature.

Also in the grumpy old man news... what's up with the traeger grill crowd?  Can't you get it done on a WSM, or a BGE? Meanwhile, get off my lawn.

#27 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53711 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 July 2021 - 06:47 PM

It's only a flaw of it's not on purpose.

#28 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56619 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:15 PM

It feels to me like there’s a small but growing community of brewers doing proper lagers. Could just be a side effect of what’s getting promoted but i hope it continues.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16896 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:26 PM

It feels to me like there’s a small but growing community of brewers doing proper lagers. Could just be a side effect of what’s getting promoted but i hope it continues.

We have some great lager choices in New England.

#30 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53711 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:27 PM

We have some great lager choices in New England.

Sure do.

#31 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15102 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:27 PM

Hazy shouldn't be a style or goal. It's a characteristic of some beers.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16896 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:32 PM

Hazy shouldn't be a style or goal. It's a characteristic of some beers.

Very true. That beer I posted was clear after two days at 36* and before the dryhop. But for a big dryhop it would have been clear. I wonder how many are using stuff like Tanal-A to force haze.

#33 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12353 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:24 PM

It's a great time in beer IMO. Tons of choices and you can find what and who you like. There is a lot of mediocre beer but also amazing stuff. Find breweries you like for the particular style but still be open minded.

#34 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12811 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 July 2021 - 04:55 AM

Very true. That beer I posted was clear after two days at 36* and before the dryhop. But for a big dryhop it would have been clear. I wonder how many are using stuff like Tanal-A to force haze.

Yours looked more hazy to me, not that milky-cloudy look. I have a hard time believing the milky looking ones are all just hop oils rather than yeast in suspension - especially since brewers are adding stuff like oats to the grist to aid in making it hazy

I’ve also heard of breweries using flour in the kettle to make it cloudy.

#35 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53711 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:29 AM

Yours looked more hazy to me, not that milky-cloudy look. I have a hard time believing the milky looking ones are all just hop oils rather than yeast in suspension - especially since brewers are adding stuff like oats to the grist to aid in making it hazy

With enough hop particles it can look like that but for me that period of time is short and then it starts to look more like what HVB posted.

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16896 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:57 AM

The use of flaked oats and wheat actually aid in the beer clearing. I have not heard of flour being used in years. I really don't know what some of these places do now because like you said, some of these beers are thick and milk like. Those are the ones that I do not care for at all.

#37 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12811 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 July 2021 - 06:09 AM

The use of flaked oats and wheat actually aid in the beer clearing. I have not heard of flour being used in years. I really don't know what some of these places do now because like you said, some of these beers are thick and milk like. Those are the ones that I do not care for at all.

I always say those look like milk and orange juice mixed together

#38 brewguy

brewguy

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3803 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 12:01 PM

It's a great time in beer IMO. Tons of choices and you can find what and who you like. There is a lot of mediocre beer but also amazing stuff. Find breweries you like for the particular style but still be open minded.

Between the haze and seltzer drinks, there has been less room on the shelves. For a few years even the corners stores would have a decent selection, but now you need to hit beer places to find any variety on the shelf.

#39 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44135 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 03 July 2021 - 12:10 PM

Between the haze and seltzer drinks, there has been less room on the shelves. For a few years even the corners stores would have a decent selection, but now you need to hit beer places to find any variety on the shelf.

I agree. One thing tho that I have found to be positive for the consumer through all of this is that more importance has been placed on freshness. In the past consumers were just getting what was available. Now freshness is emphasized. I won’t buy beer that’s more than two months in the package and past a month it depends on the style. I don’t like taking a chance when it comes to beer anymore. I’d rather drink vodka soda than old IPA.

Good quality beer is more available than ever, but there are some absolutely atrocious breweries out there who have no clue what they are doing and just pushing their small, localness. That doesn’t make good beer. It’s really a shame. That’s how places like Howie is describing come to be.

#40 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53711 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 July 2021 - 12:21 PM

grocery stores here have a pretty reasonable variety of stuff.  sure there are lots of IPAs but I can still get craft lagers, wheat beers, porters, strong ales, etc.  there may not be a ton of examples of every style but they are there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users