Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12896 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:13 AM

Went to a brewery recently that had 3 IPAs on tap - all super cloudy NE styles

I asked the guy if one was maybe more just “hazy” or leans a little more toward a west coast style. He actually said “no, they are all basically the same.” So I confirmed that they would all pour like a glass of orange juice, and he said yes.

I had the Porter instead

I still struggle to understand having three IPAs that you openly say are all “basically the same”

#2 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12896 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:20 AM

I wish the Brut IPA fad would have stuck around instead of the NE IPA

#3 Enid Puceflange

Enid Puceflange

Old Squinty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7196 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:22 AM

If it makes you feel better, when I was a more...ahem...junior drinker, IPA was code for "lower strength session beer" - the local pub had Greene King "Abbot Ale" and "IPA" with the former at 5% and the latter at 3.5%. 

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16970 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:25 AM

I like hazy IPAs, I brew them a lot but they are much drier than the commercial examples.  Mine are hazy because of the amount of dyhops being added.  I will say I am lucky because we have a great selection up here and I can get a great lager and IPA/APA really easily.

I wish the Brut IPA fad would have stuck around instead of the NE IPA

Never had a Brut IPA that I thought was good.  Maybe I just had bad examples.

#5 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15379 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:28 AM

I was hoping the fad would cool down during the pandemic. The wife and I are going to lunch at a brewpub today at a great place that previously crapped up their beer menu with too many hazy IPAs. I'll be curious to see where they're at on that.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16970 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:36 AM

I was hoping the fad would cool down during the pandemic. The wife and I are going to lunch at a brewpub today at a great place that previously crapped up their beer menu with too many hazy IPAs. I'll be curious to see where they're at on that.

I think it only increased over the last year and teh ABV has also gone up.

#7 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15379 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 07:42 AM

Doh

#8 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12896 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:01 AM

To be clear (pun intended), I’m okay with hop haze

I don’t want the ones that look like this
IMG_1187.jpg

I like hazy IPAs, I brew them a lot but they are much drier than the commercial examples. Mine are hazy because of the amount of dyhops being added.

Yeah, they’re also often too sweet for my tastes, and too fruity tasting. I generally prefer a drier IPA

#9 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10089 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:01 AM

I loathe hazy IPA's with a burning passion.

#10 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24897 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:04 AM

I just had a Breckenridge Juice Drop IPA yesterday.  That was actually a perfect example, and great tasting NE IPA.  Would have again.  

#11 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19717 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:12 AM

For all the beer I drink, I've never had one of those super hazy, "juicy" type IPA's. I've made a few with a ton of hops but not exactly a NEIPA. At brew pubs, I usually stick with Belgians and more traditional types of IPA.

#12 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12896 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:17 AM

I think I shared before one brewery I went to that had like six or seven IPAs on tap. All of them were NE style

I bought a four pack of their Oktoberfest, and that was cloudy and hoppy as well

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40279 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:20 AM

I bought a four pack of their Oktoberfest, and that was cloudy and hoppy as well

:crazy:

That should be a hanging offense.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16970 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:30 AM

To be clear (pun intended), I’m okay with hop haze

I don’t want the ones that look like this

Yeah, they’re also often too sweet for my tastes, and too fruity tasting. I generally prefer a drier IPA

I guess mine looks close to that, but body is light and dry.

199203912_10161388253474657_246428809272

:crazy:

That should be a hanging offense.

Yeah .. that is just wrong!

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44597 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:34 AM

Cloudy hoppy oktoberfest? That just isn't right. I like the hazy NE IPAs tho. They aren't going anywhere. It really was the next evolution in hops forward beer. We make a bunch of different ones at work, but they are all different hops. If a place is saying they are all the same, that is just a head scratcher from my end. Maybe the bartender just isn't very well educated about their offerings. Or just lazy.

I agree with Drez regarding Brut IPA. I never had one I enjoyed. Hops need some sweetness the fully express themselves. I am not a fan of lactose in IPA, but mashing high can definitely be a great tool for keeping your FG a little higher and it won't come off as cloying.

It used to be that 1# per barrel was a hefty dry hop load. Now you aren't even in the ballpark less than 3# per. We have some that go almost up to 7. I think 3-4 is a sweet spot. A lot of places are cutting out kettle hops and just going heavier at whirlpool and dry hop. Personally, I think a decent 60 minute charge still packs that bitter that makes you want to come back for more, and 5 or 10 minute hops are great for setting the stage for the whirlpool hops to shine and the dry hops to dance on.

These beers are extremely popular. They aren't going anywhere. Its business. I do lament how they have supplanted other beer styles these days, but with how many breweries there are these days, you are somewhat more beholden to the market if you want to stand out. We actually brew a pretty wide variety of styles, but I am telling you guys, IPAs will be gone in a week or two and the brown ale and porter and stouts will be in the warehouse for months sometimes.

Shake your fists and yell at the floating beer foam in the sky all you want of course. I do the same.

That being said I am going to get to do a whole bunch more fun stuff at work. We have an old 5 bbl system that we are going to set up the tanks from. Make the wort on the big system and then move it down to those tanks. We need to find the time to pour the pad and figure out the logistics but hopefully ill be able to do some lagers. Definitely starting a sour barrel program as well.

#16 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7745 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:46 AM

50/50 mix of a brut and ne ipa.

I call it

An ipa!

#17 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19717 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 02 July 2021 - 02:07 PM

I have enjoyed using the new (to me) tropical hops in my current brews.

#18 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15379 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 02:11 PM

I think it only increased over the last year and teh ABV has also gone up.

It was 50/50 regular vs hazy IPAs. I can live with that. My wife got their best IPA (a regular IPA), and I was in a lager mood and went with the pilsner and maibock.

#19 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49665 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 02 July 2021 - 02:12 PM

Hold your breath, chug your beer, take a bite out of someone's skull, knock the table leg out without dropping the table, stack your teeth with steak, chug another beer, chew, and exhale. 

#20 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54637 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 July 2021 - 02:13 PM

I have enjoyed using the new (to me) tropical hops in my current brews.

I like the look of the gusso beers.  we talk about them in this place called the "beer" subforum.  it's crazy.  you guys should check it out :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users