219 replies to this topic

#141 Thag

Thag

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46451 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:16 PM

As for the song publishing aspect, I’m not sure how to make that happen. The traditional route is to move to Nashville, sleep in your car, get a publishing deal so you can write every day while also working as a bartender, then Hope something eventually happens for you with the publisher

I’m unfortunately way past the point in life that I can give up my day job and move to Nashville for a $30k/yr publishing deal.

So, beyond someone somewhere doing me a favor and sending a copy to Kenny Chesney or whatever, I don’t see a great avenue for me to “make it” as a songwriter or artist.

But nothing could ever happen without first spending the resources to get these songs recorded

Bank in the late 90s we went to a bar in Daytona with two good friends to see an artist they knew, small gig but he had recorded a song from a writer who also wrote songs for Garth Brooks. Her name is Victoria Shaw. She sat at our table with our friends. She wasn't chatty at first but after a few drinks my wife asked her how she started writing songs for people like Garth Brooks. She said she spent years playing bars in Nashville and it is common for bigger acts to come listen to sets and see if there are songs they like. Then after some people started recording her songs she started getting together with other song writers and writing together. She also had her own band. Just someone we spent a few hour with. I don’t think we have ever heard her music that she recorded.

#142 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12707 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:37 PM

I’ve listened to tons of songwriter interviews, especially Nashville writers

Either they grind it out in Nashville to get discovered, or they found a link of someone who knew someone who knew someone to get their music heard

I haven’t heard any stories of anyone getting discovered playing their local bar in Anywhere USA

#143 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18554 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:23 PM

Either they grind it out in Nashville to get discovered, or they found a link of someone who knew someone who knew someone to get their music heard

I haven’t heard any stories of anyone getting discovered playing their local bar in Anywhere USA

Yeah.

We have a friend. Nice young woman. Has *some* talent. Went to the local college and got a music degree.

Somehow, she thinks she's going to get discovered in po-dunk LaGrange, GA playing at the local music house and opening for the traveling set of musicians.

#144 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12707 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:13 AM

The lyrics were very catchy and the guitars were perfect. I had a thought about changing the lyrics in the last stanza from 'stayed out too long' to 'stayed out till dawn'.

That’s clever. I might start doing that live

#145 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12707 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 July 2021 - 06:17 AM

When can I buy a copy?

Assuming the final mixes come back on time and I’m happy with them, I’m going to target maybe Aug 13 or Aug 20 for a release date

Some music industry friends have advised me to release them all as singles since I don’t have enough for an EP. So, I’ll just be releasing Rum Drink for now. Summer needs to be released in the spring, just prior to summer arriving. So, maybe either release them as separate singles, or get a few more recorded in the coming months and release an EP in the spring with Summer as the single to push it

#146 bdutton

bdutton

Comptroller of Gifts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8914 posts
  • LocationIn your head, 24x7

Posted 23 July 2021 - 01:15 PM

That’s clever. I might start doing that live

I want a share of the royalties payable in beer. Good beer too not that lite crap.

#147 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25421 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 23 July 2021 - 03:07 PM

my 2nd cousin was discovered in a Knoxville bar. But that might be close enough to Nashville. I never knew him well he is 11 years older than me. I think all he ever did was play professionally. When he was in his 20s he was part of the house band for the wheeling jamboree. He ended up having a few top 40 songs and 1 number #1. But his career was pretty short, late 80 to mid 90s. He eventually became a minister.

#148 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 23 July 2021 - 03:13 PM

Want to hear more about this chili reception when you get home!

#149 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 74379 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 23 July 2021 - 03:17 PM

It had beans

#150 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12707 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:23 AM

Producer emailed me last night asking for lyric sheets for the background singer ASAP - so hopefully that’s happening today!!

#151 GuitarCozmo

GuitarCozmo

Comptroller of Hair

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6079 posts
  • LocationThe other side of the river

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:46 AM

I'm glad to hear that the reception at home has gone from chilly to proud. I'm happy for you. This is awesome.

#152 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43822 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:49 AM

I'm glad to hear that the reception at home has gone from chilly to proud. I'm happy for you. This is awesome.

Chilly reception
Carolina coastal storm
Warms up by the end

#153 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28859 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:15 AM

This

Chilly reception
Carolina coastal storm
Warms up by the end

A CW song waiting to happen.

#154 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12707 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:45 AM

Proud-ish LOL

#155 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23291 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:37 AM

Get the actual #### out of here. That was awesome my man!!!

#156 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12707 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:08 PM

Get the actual #### out of here. That was awesome my man!!!

Thanks brother!

#157 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12707 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:45 PM

So. . .

A little update here. I finally got the finished mixes back on Saturday night. But I wasn’t very happy with them

The background vocals weren’t mixed to my liking - too loud for my taste. So, after listening to them about a thousand times on a variety of speakers, etc and getting feedback from some musician friends, I told the producer I wanted the vocals remixed.

He said he can’t get to it until at least Friday, so I’m out another week. Kind of sucks, because I was hoping to have it released soon. It’s okay, though, I’d rather have it right and be happy with it.

Other than the vocal issue, the tracks sound great. Nothing really super different than the rough mixes

#158 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 12:50 PM

You should get it the way you want it.  This is your content and it should sound perfect to you.  Do you have to pay anything extra for a remix or is it all included in your original price?

#159 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12707 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:35 PM

You should get it the way you want it. This is your content and it should sound perfect to you. Do you have to pay anything extra for a remix or is it all included in your original price?

Good question. He told me not to pay him until I was happy.

I think unless I’m extremely difficult with repeated changes, he won’t charge extra

#160 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23308 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:49 PM

Assuming the engineer saved his automix files, going back and reducing the backing vocals should be comparatively pretty quick and easy to make happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users