#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2021 - 04:42 AM

Knocked temp down to 37F this morning (36 hours into dry hopping). I'll probably go another couple of days to at least let things settle down before transferring to the serving kegs.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2021 - 12:07 PM

Tastes a little muddled right now. Aroma is good but not as much flavor. I'm going to give this at least another day I think. I'll keep testing it. It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2021 - 12:12 PM

One thing I suspect is that the yeast plays a bigger than normal role in the aroma of heady topper. This aroma is much more fruity than I would typically associate with Simcoe/ctz/Amarillo/cent. It's fruity in a fruit punch kind of way and not in a citrus kind of way.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2021 - 01:21 PM

I really like the grain in this. Very pleasant.

Edited by Mando, 13 July 2021 - 01:21 PM.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:09 AM

Kegging this right now. Beer was on the hops for about 2.5 days. First part was on the warmer side. If my primary didn't have all of the yeast cake in it I might consider leaving half the beer on the dry hops to do some side by side comparisons but I think all of that other stuff might start to impact flavor disproportionately.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:57 AM

Wherever I dry hop in the primary I get towards the end and things start moving slowly due to clogging. I find if I let it sit for a while I can get more out so I just pulled half a pint of the stuff near the bottom. Pretty hazy but tons of hop flavor and aroma. I hope the stuff I already kegged is like this.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2021 - 11:19 AM

I just made what is closer to a West coast IPA with new England ale yeast. I expect lightening to strike me down at any second.

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 11:29 AM

I just made what is closer to a West coast IPA with new England ale yeast. I expect lightening to strike me down at any second.

That yeast is supposed to be Conan right.  I still say heady is close to a WC than it is a NEIPA .  I think you are fine!

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 July 2021 - 11:51 AM

That yeast is supposed to be Conan right. I still say heady is close to a WC than it is a NEIPA . I think you are fine!

Phew! It is delicious though. I enjoy the high IBUs for a change of pace. Particularly when they are balanced out by a nice malty backbone. I think this is a good use of the carared and carapils copper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users