Photo

How are you guys starting lump charcoal?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 06:57 AM

I plan to take my BGE for it's maiden run here soon.  I have two bags of this lump charcoal (one bag from BGE and the other is something like DAMN GOOD LUMP CHARCOAL).  It was just me and my son for dinner last night and I just made some brats and dogs but I thought I would use the lump charcoal to see what it was about.  I tried using an electric starter and that was a whiff.  My son said "use lighter fluid" and surprisingly I had some.  But instead I grabbed some briquets that I had and got those started and the lump started along with them.  But when I use the BGE the briquets are a no-no.  So use one of these "campfire flares" connected to a propane canister?  I also have these starter blocks that just look like pressed cardboard.  I'm not dismissing them but I don't have a lot of confidence they will work well.  Does a "chimney" come into play at all?  What are the best options for convenience, speed, etc?  Cheers and thanks.  

Edited by ER Pemberton, 22 May 2021 - 06:58 AM.

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43822 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 May 2021 - 07:10 AM

You can use a chimney but I’d recommend not to. Definitely don’t use fluid, that shit will get into the ceramic and you’ll be tainted.

I use these
https://www.amazon.c...K5P7Gp13NParams

Fill up your egg with charcoal and just rip a couple of these up and put them in a few spots around there and light them up. You’ll be grilling in like 10 minutes

#3 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37543 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 22 May 2021 - 07:27 AM

Weed torch.

#4 el Bordo

el Bordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationBako

Posted 22 May 2021 - 07:36 AM

I use these

Fill up your egg with charcoal and just rip a couple of these up and put them in a few spots around there and light them up. You’ll be grilling in like 10 minutes

Yup!

#5 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 07:37 AM

You can use a chimney but I’d recommend not to. Definitely don’t use fluid, that shit will get into the ceramic and you’ll be tainted.

I use these

I guess I have the BGE version of these.  I will keep these in mind.  Yeah, yesterday I was actually cooking on a Smokey Joe because I was just cooking dogs and brats and because I wanted to play with the lump charcoal so... no fluid has been used in the BGE and I plan to keep it this way.

Weed torch.

Yeah, I saw a video of a guy doing that.  My local Ace has been out of propane for a year or so.  Will they have those small propane canisters?

Thanks guys.

Edited by ER Pemberton, 22 May 2021 - 07:37 AM.

#6 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38177 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 22 May 2021 - 07:54 AM

I use a chimney and the Weber wax starters.

#7 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43822 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:01 AM

I guess I have the BGE version of these. I will keep these in mind. Yeah, yesterday I was actually cooking on a Smokey Joe because I was just cooking dogs and brats and because I wanted to play with the lump charcoal so... no fluid has been used in the BGE and I plan to keep it this way.

Yeah, I saw a video of a guy doing that. My local Ace has been out of propane for a year or so. Will they have those small propane canisters?

Thanks guys.

I’m telling you Ken, those squares will do it for you.

With the chimneys, you will likely find it awkward to dump in and honesty it’s an extra step that you really don’t need to do and, won’t save time, probably burn more coal, and makes more of a mess. YMMV

In your BGE? :P

#8 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19828 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:13 AM

I use a chimney but not a BGE.

#9 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7288 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:21 AM

Lump is pretty easy to get started, compared to briquettes. A small, constant flame like the wax or cardboard starter block will do it. A weed burner like Brownie mentioned is the fastest and easiest way. You can also start it with a small torch, then use a fan or blower to get the fire to spread.

A chimney will certainly work, but you'll have burning bits dropping out everywhere so don't carry it across a wooden deck or something like that.

#10 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12707 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:23 AM

I use a chimney and put it on the side burner of my genesis

#11 Hillbilly Deluxe

Hillbilly Deluxe

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2485 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:32 AM

Weed torch.

this

#12 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18554 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:42 AM

Sales flyers from the grocery store.

3-4 Crumbled up pieces of newspaper does the trick.

#13 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:42 AM

I’m telling you Ken, those squares will do it for you.

I will start with these since I have them.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16796 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:04 AM

I use this https://www.amazon.c...YK7FZ8WSCYK3VT3

#15 Promega

Promega

Comptroller of SWMBOs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1745 posts
  • LocationRado

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:06 AM

A chimney with whatever flammable is at hand stuffed in the bottom.  That's it.

#16 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15289 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 09:17 AM

I've tried pretty much everything and what I've been doing is make a charcoal ring around the bottom. Put a wax cube (I'm sure any starter fuel would work) on the bottom of the grate. Push the charcoal near the cube and stack some larger pieces over the top of it across the ring. Open bottom vent full and remove the top vent. Light and close lid. It's fast and easy.

#17 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15736 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 22 May 2021 - 10:55 AM

Same or paper. But not really sure why its so messy for some. Ive never had issues. With that said, a few years ago I moved from lump to Royal Oak Hardwood briquettes. Its lump hardwood formed into briqs using vege oil as the binder. Love that stuff.

Edited by BlKtRe, 22 May 2021 - 10:56 AM.

#18 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 12:02 PM

Same or paper. But not really sure why its so messy for some. Ive never had issues. With that said, a few years ago I moved from lump to Royal Oak Hardwood briquettes. Its lump hardwood formed into briqs using vege oil as the binder. Love that stuff.

Mmm, interesting.  They say "no briquets in the BGE" because it turns to dust where the lump charcoal turns into "pieces" that are easier to clean out.  I will keep this stuff in mind.

Thanks Drez.  So the question is... how long do you stand there torching the stuff before you can walk away and how do you know when you can walk away knowing it will keep going?

Also, FTR... how long should it take for lump charcoal to go from "bag" to "ready to cook"?  15 minutes?  Ish?

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16796 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 22 May 2021 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Drez. So the question is... how long do you stand there torching the stuff before you can walk away and how do you know when you can walk away knowing it will keep going?

Also, FTR... how long should it take for lump charcoal to go from "bag" to "ready to cook"? 15 minutes? Ish?

30-60 second and I will be ready to use in about 20 minutes.

#20 ER Pemberton

ER Pemberton

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39564 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 01:26 PM

30-60 second and I will be ready to use in about 20 minutes.

Thanks brother.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users