#1 badogg

badogg

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29277 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:09 PM

So pretty much all animals need a heartworm "med" or flea/tick "med", right?

My dog needs a refill on both of those and guess what? Yeah, the vet won't refill unless we bring her in for an exam and whatever the feck else. Why TF are these prescription?

Don't get me started on"prescription food" too. Fecking robbery...

#2 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:41 PM

Prescription food is straight up nonsense. Just a money maker for vets. Some are worse than regular stuff you get at the grocery store. One vet tried to get us to buy some low carb shit for diabetic cats. It was like 12% carbs when I looked it up. Regular fancy feast is like 4%.

Many dewormers and flea/tick medicines are available online. The most recent ones aren't, and there is some truth to some of the newer ones being better sometimes (efficacy and/or less toxicity), but not always.

Look up the specific active ingredients to find out if you can get them.

#3 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:43 PM

Anyway, yeah, you need to make sure you don't get a flea infestation in your house. For our pets that are mostly indoors, we just use generic Frontline plus. Like 1/10th the cost of the fancy stuff.

#4 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 03 May 2021 - 07:50 PM

On food, I just buy some big bags of chicken rear quarters for 70c/lb. Remove about half the skin, grind them up bones and all, along with some vitamins/supplements (taurine, vitamin b and e, light salt, and some fiber) . Do 25lb batches every few weeks and freeze in 2lb containers.

Cheaper than anything you can buy and they all seem to thrive on it. Don't know if the same thing works for dogs. Been doing it for about 2 years.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34218 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:38 PM

pet meds.com or something like that. We order meds from Australia. Takes a few weeks but it's still cheaper than the vet.

#6 badogg

badogg

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29277 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:43 PM

pet meds.com or something like that. We order meds from Australia. Takes a few weeks but it's still cheaper than the vet.

I really don't mind paying the premium to get it from our local vet, but to hold these necessary meds hostage so the clinic can make some extra revenue is what's bothering me.

#7 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27770 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:57 PM

Chewy.com

#8 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:03 PM

Yeah, that shit pisses me off.

Our horse vet is awesome. Will do all kinds of stuff over the phone/email and never charges. Her visits are way cheaper than the regular pet vet, too.

Cat vet is obnoxious. It's a practice of like 3 mobile vets. They won't call in prescriptions to local pharmacies. Have to use their online vet. Insulin from there was like 400. CVS was 100. Had to bitch before they finally agreed to give me a written prescription. I asked the vet during the last visit how much of a kickback they got. Said it was about 2%.

So,they wanted to cost me $300, to make $8.

I had them give me a year's worth of refills during the visit since they didn't have my $ yet.

Wish my horse vet did smaller pets. Shit, she did xrays and ultrasound, and spent over an hour once. Total bill was like 200.

#9 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92836 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:29 PM

If you give heartworm prevention meds to your dog and they have heartworm already it can kill them. So you are supposed to get a negative heartworm test annually to make sure.

#10 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:34 PM

True, but that's usually only something to worry about in pretty extreme cases. If you are regularly giving preventative meds, it's almost impossible for it to ever be an issue.

#11 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7024 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:36 PM

Dog heartworm medicine is Ivermectin and Pyrantel.  You can buy a several year (lifetime?) supply over the counter for $13.

https://www.tractors...-g?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.tractors...-g?cm_vc=-10005

You should be reasonably sure that the dog doesn't have heartworms- if you've had the dog on the same medicine already it's not going to kill him.  These are meant for a 1200 pound animal, so you need a scale precise to 0.1 or 0.01 g unless you have a huge dog.  But even if you give 2X too much, it won't hurt them.

#12 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7024 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:39 PM

Both of these are gels in a large syringe.  I put a piece of bread, salami, or whatever on the scale and tare it out.  Add the right amount of each gel based on body weight, and see if she even tastes it.  

#13 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18117 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:17 AM

Yeah, it's a racket for sure.

I take our pets to Auburn Teaching Animal Hospital. Great care and I can call in for refills of Maddie's meds. They just want to see her once a year and give me 6 months at a time. Last visit with checkup and 6 months of meds was about 300.

#14 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6384 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:24 AM

I haven't given my dog a heartworm or flea meds in 10 years+. He's 16 and runs around healthy like. He mostly an indoor dog though, but goes out back. IDK

#15 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:05 AM

We have to because Gary will manage to find, kill, and partially devour a rabbit, rock vole, or similar within minutes of going out. Seems they are often infested with fleas and worms and he'll get them, too, if we don't stay on top of it.

For a normal dog like you describe, makes sense that you don't really need to.

#16 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8807 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:48 AM

The heartworm stuff is really a scam for something 95% of dogs don't need.   I did research on what it takes for your dog to get infected,   There's daily temperate windows that the mosquitoes must be inside for a long period before they can even carry it,  then your dog must be bitten by said moquito, etc...   My dogs don't spend all day outside and I have determined their lifetime exposure risk is about 1%.

I buy monthly flea and tick stuff from amazon, between that and spraying the yard we have not had any issues.   Our neighborhood is THICC with ticks so if we take the pups for a walk I often spritz the underbody with a trigger spray of cheap stuff from tractor supply, just to keep any ticks from following us home.

#17 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92836 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:50 AM

True, but that's usually only something to worry about in pretty extreme cases. If you are regularly giving preventative meds, it's almost impossible for it to ever be an issue.

We don't give our dogs heartworm or flea/tick meds in the winter months.

#18 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23665 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:31 AM

Shouldn’t really have to in the summer either, unless you’re in the lower 25% of the US.

Edited by AspenLeif, 04 May 2021 - 07:32 AM.

#19 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92836 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:42 AM

For fleas yes. We definitely have ticks here.

#20 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23665 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:53 AM

Oh true, was talking about heart worms. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users