Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 March 2021 - 10:27 AM

https://www.experime...triple-your-ipa

The Brew is Out There! 

We've threatened and now we're doing. In this episode we bring together Drew and Denny's advice about brewing a Triple IPA and combine it with professional brewers you know and love like Jamil and Mitch! And Drew tastes his way through 4 top notch TIPAs! Prepare yourself for a crop ton of hops!

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 March 2021 - 11:00 AM

What defines an ipa as being a triple? Is this mostly just an abv thing?

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 11:11 AM

it used to be ABV and IBU but since IBU is no longer really a thing I would say just ABV.  An Imperial IPA is up to about 10% so over that is a TIPA in my book.  In reality I bet there are many under that number and it is all marketing.  Pliny the Younger comes in at 10.25%  

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 March 2021 - 11:35 AM

I've seen abv all on the place on stuff called pale ale, ipa, dipa, imperial ipa

Edited by Mando, 18 March 2021 - 11:35 AM.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 12:00 PM

I've seen abv all on the place on stuff called pale ale, ipa, dipa, imperial ipa

Sure .. guess back to my "in reality marketing" thought.  Remember when and IPA had to be bitter?

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 March 2021 - 12:17 PM

Sure .. guess back to my "in reality marketing" thought. Remember when and IPA had to be bitter?

Ewwww! Gross!!! ;)

Ever have a victory hop devil? I recall that seeming extremely bitter back in the day. Reading reviews now make me think they changed the recipe.

Or maybe my taste buds couldn't handle it back then :blush:

Edited by Mando, 18 March 2021 - 12:38 PM.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 March 2021 - 11:30 AM

More alcohol and hops

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 March 2021 - 11:32 AM

Ewwww! Gross!!! ;)

Ever have a victory hop devil? I recall that seeming extremely bitter back in the day. Reading reviews now make me think they changed the recipe.

Or maybe my taste buds couldn't handle it back then :blush:

My wife and I were once being shown around Victory by one of the owners.  We finished up at the bar and he asked us what we wanted to drink.  I said that my wife liked really hoppy beers, and he said he'd get her a Hop Devil.  She asked if he had anything hoppier and I thought the guy was gonna cry!  She ended up with a Prima pils.  This was in 2001.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 March 2021 - 12:35 PM

My wife and I were once being shown around Victory by one of the owners.  We finished up at the bar and he asked us what we wanted to drink.  I said that my wife liked really hoppy beers, and he said he'd get her a Hop Devil.  She asked if he had anything hoppier and I thought the guy was gonna cry!  She ended up with a Prima pils.  This was in 2001.

LOL!  My memory of it was that was straight IBUs but not as much hop flavor/aroma.  at the time it seemed harsh.  again - it could be my taste buds at the time.  I was mostly drinking irish/english/scottish ales back then.

for instance I think at that time my favorite beer might have been Belhaven.  now it doesn't seem that great to me but back in the early 2000s I thought it was great compared to most things I had tried up to that point.

other stuff I liked was Guinness, Smithwicks and pretty much any local porter or stout.  at the time it was pretty much smuttynose, redhook and portsmouth brewery.  soon after that I started to like IPAs and the rest is history.  maybe I'd like Victory Hop Devil now.

Edited by Mando, 20 March 2021 - 12:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users