#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:38 AM

I made an extract kit with steeping grains back in 2007. It was an amber that came out pretty good from what I remember.

Holy cow time flies.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:52 AM

I know it was a SNPA extract with steeping grain clone.  I do not know they exact year but I would say 04/05 time frame.

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47787 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 16 March 2021 - 08:00 AM

Steeped extract Amber that my wife bought me for Father's day in 2003.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 March 2021 - 09:08 AM

Extract, c60 for steeping and Cascade pellets.  March 19, 1998.  Turned out fantastic IIRC.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 March 2021 - 09:18 AM

Extract, c60 for steeping and Cascade pellets. March 19, 1998. Turned out fantastic IIRC.

Not sure on the crystal now but very similar.

Some kind of crystal. Amber lme. Cascade hops. Nottingham dry yeast. Cambridge, MA tap water out through a Brita pitcher.

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:12 AM

Mr Beer kit that the kids got me. It was terrible but luckily I was able to find a local homebrew shop that said the problem was mostly dead yeast and no aeration as the problem. They set me up with a good extract kit and plastic fermenters. Within a\two year sI was doing all grain and my first all grain batch won a gold at the yearly competition.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:13 PM

EWLFNor.jpg

#8 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:44 PM

Mr. Beer kit in '07, I think.  Then I made about a dozen or so extract batches, before going all grain in '08.   I brewed fairly regularly until '14 and quit for some reason or another.  Finally just got back to brewing last week.  

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:52 PM

Mr. Beer kit in '07, I think. Then I made about a dozen or so extract batches, before going all grain in '08. I brewed fairly regularly until '14 and quit for some reason or another. Finally just got back to brewing last week.

Can't stop. Won't stop.

#10 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22075 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 17 March 2021 - 05:50 AM

I guess my first homebrew was some strange kit I got as a gift in the mid to late 90's. It was a canvas/muslin bag that you added water to and hung it up for a week or so. I think it made about 12 bottles. I got more serious when my wife received a basic brewing kit (bucket, carboy, etc) as a gift from a friend. That sat around for a few years until I decided to try it out around 2003. I was then brewing regularly from then until 2014. Took off for 6 years, now I'm brewing more than ever.

#11 mikesarney

mikesarney

Advanced Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBridgeville, PA

Posted 17 March 2021 - 07:02 AM

NB Cream Ale Kit - All Grain .  April 2006.  It looks like they changed the recipe a little bit, used to have Willamette and Mt Hood hops. Still using my original burner and chiller, though I'm looking to replace them as they are getting a little beat up.  

I did ciders first, starting fall 2004, which helped me get used to my sanitation procedures.    

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 March 2021 - 09:04 AM

I guess my first homebrew was some strange kit I got as a gift in the mid to late 90's. It was a canvas/muslin bag that you added water to and hung it up for a week or so. I think it made about 12 bottles. I got more serious when my wife received a basic brewing kit (bucket, carboy, etc) as a gift from a friend. That sat around for a few years until I decided to try it out around 2003. I was then brewing regularly from then until 2014. Took off for 6 years, now I'm brewing more than ever.

The wort fermented in a sack?

#13 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22075 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 17 March 2021 - 10:30 AM

The wort fermented in a sack?

I guess the bag was lined. At the time I didn't think it came out too bad!

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 March 2021 - 10:31 AM

That's been over 30 years so I have no idea what my very first was. It was an extract kit for sure. My first all grain was a pale ale recipe out of Clone Brews. I felt like an alchemist when sweet wort began flowing out of the mash tun.

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 March 2021 - 04:21 PM

My first was a bastardized concoction made from 1 can of hopped Pale Ale extract intended for a brew in a bag kit I got on line and a quart of honey, made in extract partial boil style. Fermented with Nottingham yeast. I at least went and bought a kit from the LHBS to get brewing, that "honey ale" was very dry, and bland.

Next batch was an extract and steeping grain ingredient kit from the LHBS knocking off Hale's Pale which was invented here, waaaaaay better.

#16 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25478 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:13 PM

No Fail Pale Ale

https://fermentation...-fail-pale-ale/

I made a mistake in measuring temp of the wort and pitched the yeast at too high a temp. I kept going back to the LHBS, saying the ferment was stuck. "Now if you are going to make beer, you need to be patient." After 2 or 3 weeks with it stuck at 1.030 or something, the wife of the owner "let" me re-pitch some fresh yeast.

It finished out at 1.008 or so. Came out not too bad, all things considered.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:22 PM

Zymot, I'm sorry they abused you like that. It's going to be okay. We support you and your brewing.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 06:13 AM

Scotch Ale kit from Midwest Supplies. It was decent, actually. 

#19 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1946 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 26 March 2021 - 12:58 PM

Fall of 1986. Freshman in college. Saw an ad in the back of Popular Science magazine "Brew your own beer at home!"  How could I say no to that at 19 years old? Got a plastic fermenter with a 3-piece airlock, a can of (John Bull?) English Bitter hopped extract, a lever capper, bottlecaps and some corn sugar for bottling. We followed the directions on the can and dissolved the extract in warm water along with 5 lbs. of table sugar. Pitched the yeast packet that came with the extract. Sanitized with bleach. Remember, this was pre-Internet. It was probably God-awful but it wasn't infected and it got us drunk!  Pretty soon after that I found Papazian's book and have been brewing on and off ever since. I miss being able to go to any bar in town and buy the heavy old returnable longnecks for the price of the deposit!

Also, I can't believe I've been brewing longer than Denny!

#20 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 29 March 2021 - 12:06 PM

Mine was in 2002, extract IPA kit from Northern Brewer on the stovetop in my apartment. It wasn't bad at all. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users