#9981 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28901 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:29 PM

Looks like I may be looking for a new PCP.

Did a teleDoc call with him today. First thing was he wanted to prescribe Ivermectin.

Me: I don't have a parasitic infection.

Doc: Well, people want the Ivermectin

Me: Treating Covid with Ivermectin is not the proper use for that medicine.

He's getting me a Z-Pack and a decongestant.

I asked about the other therapeutics listed on the CDC site. He didn't know anything about them or the site. Now, when you have the biggest medical emergency in the last 100 years going on, you would think a public facing healthcare professional would keep abreast of the latest treatments.

Instead, he wanted me to take horse paste.

Shit like this is why we have antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections these days.  People demanding antibiotics for things that they shouldn't and doctors just fecking caving.  

Why is he giving you a z-pack?  Did you develop a sinus infection while you were sick with COVID?

Edit:  I mean the random prescribing of ivermectin when there isn't any indication it's useful against COVID, but also now the z-pack (unless you really do have a sinus or lower respiratory bacterial infection)

Edited by Gumbo Leviathan, 26 January 2022 - 07:30 PM.

#9982 postSingularityHumanoid

postSingularityHumanoid

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58664 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:31 PM

Got another notification from my youngest school that another kid tested positive in his classroom. We're getting these every few days it seems. Omicron is ripping through everybody, even the kids.

Yep!

#9983 postSingularityHumanoid

postSingularityHumanoid

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58664 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:38 PM

Damn media reporting facts!

https://arstechnica....hing-hospitals/

#9984 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25537 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:43 PM

That 70% effectiveness against transmission tho…

#9985 postSingularityHumanoid

postSingularityHumanoid

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58664 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:47 PM

That 70% effectiveness against transmission tho…

Is this a reference to statements made before omicron existed?

#9986 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28901 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:48 PM

Is this a reference to statements made before omicron existed?

AL seems to be laboring under the impression that evolution isn't real

#9987 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59390 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:33 PM

Looks like I may be looking for a new PCP.

Did a teleDoc call with him today. First thing was he wanted to prescribe Ivermectin.

Me: I don't have a parasitic infection.

Doc: Well, people want the Ivermectin

Me: Treating Covid with Ivermectin is not the proper use for that medicine.

He's getting me a Z-Pack and a decongestant.

I asked about the other therapeutics listed on the CDC site. He didn't know anything about them or the site. Now, when you have the biggest medical emergency in the last 100 years going on, you would think a public facing healthcare professional would keep abreast of the latest treatments.

Instead, he wanted me to take horse paste.

In all seriousness, ivermectin has absolutely been shown to work as an viral inhibitor and specifically as an antiviral for COVID-19.  There are now several studies out there showing various levels of effectiveness in vitro and in vivo.  Randomized control trials and observational studies have all shown ivermectin to have some effectiveness.  I really wouldn't be turning it down if I were in your shoes and your doc is prescribing.  

#9988 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24731 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:35 PM

In all seriousness, ivermectin has absolutely been shown to work as an viral inhibitor and specifically as an antiviral for COVID-19.  There are now several studies out there showing various levels of effectiveness in vitro and in vivo.  Randomized control trials and observational studies have all shown ivermectin to have some effectiveness.  I really wouldn't be turning it down if I were in your shoes and your doc is prescribing.

Please post links to peer reviewed articles

#9989 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78976 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:39 PM

My understanding is that at worst it does no harm (when dosed properly) and it ~might~ help. Paxlovid would be the better option tho since it is Covid specific

#9990 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25537 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:46 PM

AL seems to be laboring under the impression that evolution isn't real

Nope.  That was the study that Stain was touting as the effectiveness against omicron as omicron was ramping up and I was saying it was wrong because of what we were experiencing out here from break-thrus.  It was back in November.  He was saying he'd take the study over my anecdotal experiences.  I knew that study wasn't going to hold water, as we were seeing unprecedented break throughs here, when it shut down our hockey facilities and nearly closed down town again.  Aspen is always on the leading edge of infection spikes since we are such a global visitor and vacation destination.  

Edited by AspenLeif, 26 January 2022 - 08:47 PM.

#9991 postSingularityHumanoid

postSingularityHumanoid

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58664 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:48 PM

My understanding is that at worst it does no harm (when dosed properly) and it ~might~ help. Paxlovid would be the better option tho since it is Covid specific

Pick any drug if that is all it takes. Many cause minimal harm and might help.

#9992 postSingularityHumanoid

postSingularityHumanoid

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58664 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:54 PM

Nope. That was the study that Stain was touting as the effectiveness against omicron as omicron was ramping up and I was saying it was wrong because of what we were experiencing out here from break-thrus. It was back in November. He was saying he'd take the study over my anecdotal experiences. I knew that study wasn't going to hold water, as we were seeing unprecedented break throughs here, when it shut down our hockey facilities and nearly closed down town again. Aspen is always on the leading edge of infection spikes since we are such a global visitor and vacation destination.

What is your point here? So early on someone was wrong? Big ####ing deal. Every new variant has the capability of changing our current situation. At this point there are no claims of 70% protection.

#9993 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24731 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:00 PM

Nope.  That was the study that Stain was touting as the effectiveness against omicron as omicron was ramping up and I was saying it was wrong because of what we were experiencing out here from break-thrus.  It was back in November.  He was saying he'd take the study over my anecdotal experiences.  I knew that study wasn't going to hold water, as we were seeing unprecedented break throughs here, when it shut down our hockey facilities and nearly closed down town again.  Aspen is always on the leading edge of infection spikes since we are such a global visitor and vacation destination.

It seems you are admitting to context change, but negating the reality of it

Sorry your hockey was impacted

#9994 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59390 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:04 PM

Here's a recent study in a healthcare setting showing 73% reduction in infections: https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC8405705/

Another healthcare study showing, ironically, 73% reduction in infections: https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/33592050/

In vitro testing showing 5000-fold decrease in activity when SARS-CoV-2 is exposed to ivermectin: https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/32251768/

RCT as a treatment showing 25% reduction in time to symptom clearance: https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/33278625/

Meta-review of ivermectin trials for COVID, this one summarizes quite a few studies up through middle/end of last year: https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC8354804/

Recently, the WHO has commissioned a meta-analysis [17] to assess the clinical efficacy of ivermectin through the ACC Accelerator Program. The meta-analysis included 18 randomized controlled trials (RCTs) that evaluated doses up to 0.6 mg/kg of ivermectin, and conducted on a total of 2,282 RT-PCR positive patients (both, inpatients and outpatients), with mild to severe COVID-19 symptoms. Across six trials assessing the efficacy in survival in 1,255 patients, 14 of 658 patients (2.1%) died in the ivermectin arm versus 57 of 597 patients who died in the control arm (9.5%).

A real-time meta-analysis of 53 studies [21] conducted over a total sample of 17,582 patients with COVID-19 disease, assessing 27 RCTs, and 26 observational studies, described that all the studies included in the analysis reported positive effects. 

According to a recent meta-analysis based on 18 randomized controlled treatment trials of ivermectin in COVID-19, mortality, time to clinical recovery, and time to viral clearance were lower in patients treated with this drug (33). In other meta-analysis analysing mortality in 28 clinical trials, mortality was also lower in the ivermectin arm versus non-ivermectin arm (OR 0.39, 95% CI 0.22-0.70) [34].

In a multicentre case-control study [36] of 280 hospitalized patients, ivermectin administered in a single dose of 150 µg/kg to patients diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2 infection, achieved a significant reduction in intrahospital mortality in those patients treated with the drug (1.4% versus 8.5% (ivermectin versus non-ivermectin; Hazard Ratio (HR) 0.20, 95% CI: 0.11 to 0.37, p<0.0001)

There's more in the paper.  Or, you can wait for the big NIH-run trial that's underway.

That's the thing, the downside is very minimal and there's a shitload of decent studies in its favor.  The risk-reward definitely seems to lean towards taking it if you get COVID.  

Edited by 3rd party JKor, 26 January 2022 - 09:07 PM.

#9995 postSingularityHumanoid

postSingularityHumanoid

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58664 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:25 PM

So I don't have the time or energy to go through this BS again. Any of these studies not in third world countries where people were more likely to be infected with parasites?

If one of the studies in the US showed it worked I'd think it would be big news.

ETA: I don't know why I ####ing bother. In the links posted I'm seeing all places where parasites are likely common.

Edited by Mando, 26 January 2022 - 09:32 PM.

#9996 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59390 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:33 PM

Pick any drug if that is all it takes. Many cause minimal harm and might help.

There's legit evidence in it's favor, though.

#9997 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59390 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:36 PM

So I don't have the time or energy to go through this BS again. Any of these studies not in third world countries where people were more likely to be infected with parasites?

If one of the studies in the US showed it worked I'd think it would be big news.

ETA: I don't know why I ####ing bother. In the links posted I'm seeing all places where parasites are likely common.

Do you have any evidence that suggests that parasitic activity is a factor?  

#9998 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16276 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:36 PM

It's the same crap that's been gone through probably four times now. Jkor is sold, though, for whatever reason, completely unaware of his own limited understanding.

"decent studies"

#9999 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59390 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:38 PM

Except a year later and significantly more evidence.  NIH has a big trial running, we'll see what happens.

#10000 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8865 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:43 PM

Except a year later and significantly more evidence.  NIH has a big trial running, we'll see what happens.

And significantly more evidence that the drug isn't useful.

I agree, let's wait for the large, properly controlled study.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Ineedacatscan