#21 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6288 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:07 PM

My lot is 5000 square feet, which is mid sized for the area. I get a nice bonus with my yard backing up to a 14 acre park.

#22 dave in indiana

dave in indiana

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5152 posts
  • Locationa bustle in your hedgerow

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:34 PM

Either way, good on you guys that have managed to acquire large plots!

Here's the quick story on mine.  This was my grandpa's farm.  4 parcels.  200 acres total.  Grandpa died and it all went to grandma.  Grandma died and it went to my Dad and his only sister.  She didn't want the farm.  And my Dad didn't want to buy her half. So her undivided half was offered to all the grand kids/cousins.  No one was interested.  I really couldn't afford it but I borrowed the money anyway and bought my Aunt's half.  My dad and I held it together for years and years.

Then one day, Dad said (more or less) - since you stepped up and bought my sister's share I am going to give you my half. I had a 15 year note.   About the time I got it paid off Dad said if I would continue to split the farm rent with him he would deed his portion over now.

So, that's what he/we did.  He deeded over his half.  We split the rent and taxes.  He'll be 82 this month.  We still go down there (abt 250 miles) and camp and deer hunt and fart around.

His goal is to live long enough to see our house built....

ew9NAOV.jpg

Edited by dave in indiana, 13 January 2021 - 05:36 PM.

#23 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8733 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:02 PM

Nice layout of the house. You can't beat the open floor plan with Master on one end and 2 bedrooms on the other end. One item I missed out our retirement home is the size of the spare bedrooms. You did it right and will have plenty of room for guests or in my case of an office desk and still sleeping space for visitors.

#24 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9914 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:51 AM

Here's the quick story on mine. This was my grandpa's farm. 4 parcels. 200 acres total. Grandpa died and it all went to grandma. Grandma died and it went to my Dad and his only sister. She didn't want the farm. And my Dad didn't want to buy her half. So her undivided half was offered to all the grand kids/cousins. No one was interested. I really couldn't afford it but I borrowed the money anyway and bought my Aunt's half. My dad and I held it together for years and years.

Then one day, Dad said (more or less) - since you stepped up and bought my sister's share I am going to give you my half. I had a 15 year note. About the time I got it paid off Dad said if I would continue to split the farm rent with him he would deed his portion over now.

So, that's what he/we did. He deeded over his half. We split the rent and taxes. He'll be 82 this month. We still go down there (abt 250 miles) and camp and deer hunt and fart around.

His goal is to live long enough to see our house built....

ew9NAOV.jpg

So really you have 2 100 acre parcels?

#25 dave in indiana

dave in indiana

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5152 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:21 AM

100, 25, 25, and 50.

#26 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9914 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:29 AM

100, 25, 25, and 50.

Nice! I missed the part about 4 parcels.

I like the layout. I would probably double the back porch.

#27 dave in indiana

dave in indiana

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5152 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:39 AM

We want a deck - in addition to the back porch - that covers the back of the house.  Will prob sacrifice a window(s) in the master with some french doors to the deck.

#28 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9659 posts
  • LocationWinter...

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:01 AM

We want a deck - in addition to the back porch - that covers the back of the house.  Will prob sacrifice a window(s) in the master with some french doors to the deck.

Good call.  Put the hot tub out there too!

#29 dave in indiana

dave in indiana

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5152 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:25 AM

definitely! 

#30 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8733 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:49 PM

If I lived with that much property I would always refer to things being over yonder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users