#1 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:10 PM

I brewed my first batch at this house about two years ago. There was a slight sour smell but it seems to go away after a month or two. I assumed it was stressed yeast and/or something with the water. My wife struggles with pizza/bread dough since moving as well...

Anyway I got my stuff out and brewed a simple IPA and got that same sour smell, but this time stronger. A friend in the development also brews and doesn't seem to have any problems with the water. So now I have to blame the obvious a plastic Speidel fermenter that spend the last 4 summers in my hot and humid garage. It was cleaned and sanitized before moving and left closed so I never suspected it as the problem.  I also didn't suspect an infection the first time since I never heard of a soured beer getting better...

I brewed a new batch in my old glass carboy and I decided to go ahead and try to restore the Speidel. I dumped the bad batch, cleaned with strong Oxyclean and bleached and sealed the fermenter. I shake/spin every few hours to ensure the bleach reaches all area.

My plan is to dump the bleach tomorrow, then another Oxyclean and then Star San. Has anyone every de-funked a plastic fermenter? What steps did you take?  I am specifically wondering about the best way to make sure the bleach is removed.

Thanks for any comments or advice..

Edited by MakeMeHoppy, 18 October 2020 - 05:12 PM.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:49 AM

Campden tablets will knock out the bleach

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:57 AM

Campden tablets will knock out the bleach

good point.

is there any risk with regards to mixing oxi with bleach?

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:16 AM

A good rule of thumb is don't mix anything with bleach but water.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:15 AM

I mean, I know he's rinsing first so probably okay but just checking.

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:45 AM

Hey thanks for the recommendations... I have some Campden tables and will use that after I dump the bleach. 

Note to self: Always treat years old equipment like it is contaminated BEFORE you brew!

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:07 AM

Hey thanks for the recommendations... I have some Campden tables and will use that after I dump the bleach. 

Note to self: Always treat years old equipment like it is contaminated BEFORE you brew!

I always give my cold side equipment a soak in hot water and oxiclean and this seems to always do the job.

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 02:39 PM

I always give my cold side equipment a soak in hot water and oxiclean and this seems to always do the job.

yeah I am big on Oxyclean and dry before storing things away after a fermentation finishes. I think I should have done an Oxyclean before this brew since it was sitting for so long.  I hope my current batch comes out good (in glass carboy) so I keep brewing and that also I can save this Speidel because I really like the plastic with handles.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

yeah I am big on Oxyclean and dry before storing things away after a fermentation finishes. I think I should have done an Oxyclean before this brew since it was sitting for so long. I hope my current batch comes out good (in glass carboy) so I keep brewing and that also I can save this Speidel because I really like the plastic with handles.

I brew often enough I just leave the oxiclean in there until it's close to brew time again and I rinse and sanitize.

#10 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25476 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:50 PM

Bleach by itself is pretty awesome. (they trust it in hot zones when exposure to nasty germs and viruses is a potential issue) I think ammonia is the counter of bleach. If you want to clean with a one-two punch, use one then the other. Rinse well between applications and never mix bleach and ammonia them together.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:17 PM

Bleach by itself is pretty awesome. (they trust it in hot zones when exposure to nasty germs and viruses is a potential issue) I think ammonia is the counter of bleach. If you want to clean with a one-two punch, use one then the other. Rinse well between applications and never mix bleach and ammonia them together.

I wouldn't get them close to each other.  Bad stuff - really bad.  The metabisulfites will knock out the chlorine harmlessly.

#12 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22074 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:24 PM

Maybe the spigot is the culprit.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:06 AM

a pretty good guess.

#14 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:48 PM

I agree and the spigot got soaked inside the fermenter   It looks clean and I always drain star san out and occasionally spray some in there while it is fermenting. But it's a likely place for stuff to hide.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:20 PM

I'm just glad you're brewing again.  It's fun to come back to the second best hobby in the world.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:24 PM

I'm just glad you're brewing again.  It's fun to come back to the second best hobby in the world.

#1 is?

#17 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:26 PM

#1 is?

JHC - taking pictures of naked women.  This younger crowd.............  :facepalm:

That was an old home brewing joke back in the 80's - maybe it's not appropriate anymore.  But I posted it anyway

Edited by djinkc, 22 October 2020 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users