#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15127 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:35 AM

Not to continue to hijack the dual fuel generator thread. I finally killed my cheap Duracell flooded lead battery and want to upgrade to AGM. From what I understand is if you keep the battery from depleting under 50% before recharging that these batteries can last many years.

I don't have a battery management system built into our camper. Is there a after market system I can add? Also, I'm reading that gell cell batteries use a different type of charger. What's that all about? I figure my inverter while on shore power would take care of charging needs.

What else do I need to know?

#2 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4433 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

Battery Tender 022-0209-DL-WH 4A Selectable Charger is an AGM/Standard or GEL/Lithium Iron Switchable, 12v or 6v Switchable at 4a, Includes Rings & Clips. It Will Never Over Charge Your Battery https://www.amazon.c...i_TKpyFbBV2STNC

I use one of these in my snowmobile trailer with an AGM and another for the boat battery.
I have it permanently mounted with a shore power plug in to maintain the battery when parked and the battery is also wired to charge off the truck when I’m towing or I can plug the tender into the generator power bank if needed. The battery runs a dozen or more LED lights and powers the furnace to keep the trailer warm.
I have considered adding solar and a friend who makes overlanding products has a solution I’ve been told.

Edited by idajack, 15 September 2020 - 10:48 AM.

#3 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21938 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:55 AM

All batteries benefit from smart charges that stage charge, they raise the voltage high to bulk push amps but then taper off to a maintenance voltage to not cook the full batteries.

Yes AGM last a decent amount, the one I put in my 2500 lasted 6yrs and some hard winching finally killed it. The ones in my camper are 12yrs old and still going though I am sure at a reduced capacity, I haven’t monitored them closely lately.

#4 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21938 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:58 AM

Battery life is on a curve the deeper you deplete them the less cycles they last, keeping them over 50% really extends the life compared to going below. 10-20% depletion mostly and they will last a long time.

#5 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24428 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:05 AM

Idajack hit the nail on the head. Battery tender is all you need to know.

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15127 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:15 AM

When my camper is on shore power I thought the inverter keeps the battery maintained? My camper pretty much from April thru Oct is on shore power. I can see the battery tender would be used in the winter months or if for some reason it's being stored or ami,missing it?

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9572 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:26 AM

I don't think those built in inverter chargers do much. Like pods said batteries need to be charged in stages to get a proper charge and take advantage of the full capacity of the battery. If you want to monitor your battery and charging system to really know what's going on I would install a battery monitor. This is the one I am putting in my camper.
https://www.solar-el...ry-monitor.html

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15127 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:34 AM

I don't think those built in inverter chargers do much. Like pods said batteries need to be charged in stages to get a proper charge and take advantage of the full capacity of the battery. If you want to monitor your battery and charging system to really know what's going on I would install a battery monitor. This is the one I am putting in my camper.
https://www.solar-el...ry-monitor.html

Now you opened a bag of worms. This says a shunt needs to be installed. How to wire this is going to go back to all your help building my brew panel..lol

#9 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9572 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:12 PM

Nothing's easy is it! :)

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15127 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:15 PM

Nothing's easy is it! :)

I think for this camper and what we do, a decent AGM, budget battery monitor and a charger will suffice.

#11 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8272 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:43 PM

i'm glad my head isn't the only one spinning when talking about solar, batteries, charges, inverters, etc etc!

Looking to replace the battery in ours with two 6v golf cart style batteries.  The extra amp hours it would deliver is what we really need.

#12 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21938 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:59 PM

It depends what charger is in the camper, any good one would be a stage charger already thus no need for a battery tender.

Solar: a good solar controller will have a shunt in it.

#13 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21938 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:04 PM

i'm glad my head isn't the only one spinning when talking about solar, batteries, charges, inverters, etc etc!

Looking to replace the battery in ours with two 6v golf cart style batteries. The extra amp hours it would deliver is what we really need.

A given size battery offers the same capacity, there are 12V batteries that are the same footprint to deliver the same ah. 6v are usually more robust (thicker plates) which is a bonus, a downside is if you loose 1 battery you are dead in the water as you mo longer have a 12v bank. A buddy had that happen. That said I have two 6v AGM batteries for mine that have been on all kinds of rough roads for over a decade without issue.

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9572 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:17 PM

A given size battery offers the same capacity, there are 12V batteries that are the same footprint to deliver the same ah. 6v are usually more robust (thicker plates) which is a bonus, a downside is if you loose 1 battery you are dead in the water as you mo longer have a 12v bank. A buddy had that happen. That said I have two 6v AGM batteries for mine that have been on all kinds of rough roads for over a decade without issue.

When I was pricing out batteries and checking dimensions to figure out what I was going to do that wasn't exactly correct. Two 6v batteries were bigger than one 12v and had more ah. This was flooded golf cart batteries.

#15 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21938 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:50 PM

I meant a given battery case size whether it’s 6v or 12v doesn’t make much difference in capacity, they make similar sized 12V to 6v golf cart batteries. Obviously two 6v of a case size will have more (double) the capacity of one 12v of the same size. Two of those 12v will be similar to two 6v for similar sized cases with similar amounts of lead and chemicals. There are pros/cons to 6v, I happen to have 6v but was on a trip where a friend lost one 6v and thus we lost the whole bank and couldn’t run the heat or anything in the cold so it’s something to consider was all I was saying. That and 6v doesn’t inherently have more capacity.

#16 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15127 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:21 PM

When I was pricing out batteries and checking dimensions to figure out what I was going to do that wasn't exactly correct. Two 6v batteries were bigger than one 12v and had more ah. This was flooded golf cart batteries.

That's great and everything but I'm not interested in flooded batteries. No idea if two 6v AGM batteries would have more amp hours than a single 12v and if loosing a battery in either situation would shut down the bank. Long story short, not interested in flooded batteries.

#17 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9761 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:27 AM

I put 2- 12 volt AGMs in my boat for my 24 volt trolling motor. BEST CHOICE EVAR!!!

I can go multiple 7-8 hour days before I get to 50% dicharge. With regular lead acid, I could go about 4-5 hours before total discharge.

The charger I use for these had a screw in shunt (or something) that changed that charger's rates for charging AGM batteries.

The AGMs cost a lot more... but are well worth every penny

#18 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15127 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted Today, 08:53 AM

Battery Tender 022-0209-DL-WH 4A Selectable Charger is an AGM/Standard or GEL/Lithium Iron Switchable, 12v or 6v Switchable at 4a, Includes Rings & Clips. It Will Never Over Charge Your Battery https://www.amazon.c...i_TKpyFbBV2STNC

I use one of these in my snowmobile trailer with an AGM and another for the boat battery.
I have it permanently mounted with a shore power plug in to maintain the battery when parked and the battery is also wired to charge off the truck when I’m towing or I can plug the tender into the generator power bank if needed. The battery runs a dozen or more LED lights and powers the furnace to keep the trailer warm.
I have considered adding solar and a friend who makes overlanding products has a solution I’ve been told.

I went to the Battery Tender website and the charger linked here to Amazon is almost 2x the cost as listed on the Tender website. Altho the SKU is BT-WH instead of DL-WH. Otherwise the description is about the same.

#19 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21938 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted Today, 09:16 AM

What is your current trailer power center, brand/model?

#20 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15127 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted Today, 09:31 AM

What is your current trailer power center, brand/model?

Not exactly sure what you are asking? My current camper is setup for 30amps. I have no idea what Coachman/Forest River put in there as far as the inverter/converter. I'm planning to buy a 100ah AGM. Does that help?

Edited by BlKtRe, Today, 09:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users