#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:52 AM

I have a couple of packets that are use by mid sept so I'll take that as a sign that I need to make some beers with this stuff.  I'm thinking at least 3 beers.

Beer 1:

10 gallons, lower OG, lower kettle hopping level

direct pitch from packets

Save some yeast

Make a good sized starter

Save some of the starter

Use the rest for beer 2

Beer 2:

10 gallons, any OG and hop level I want suckahs!

make another starter with yeast reserved from last starter

Beer 3:

10 gallons, big beer, either another baltic porter or maybe a maibock.  not sure...

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:08 AM

I think for beer 1 I'm going to do another vienna lager (mostly vienna, a little munich, a little carapils copper)

Beer 2 I kind of want to try to make something like peak fresh cut which is a pilsner dry hopped with citra, chinook and centennial. (looks like I'm out of cent so I'll have use cascade perhaps).

beer 3 as I mentioned larger but I'm not sure yet.

Edited by Mando, 18 August 2020 - 09:12 AM.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:56 AM

I'm doing a Vienna lager, too, on Fri.  Gonna brew 12 gal., split into 2 fermenters.  Pitch 2 packs of Diamond in one and one in the other to see the difference.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:56 PM

I'm doing a Vienna lager, too, on Fri.  Gonna brew 12 gal., split into 2 fermenters.  Pitch 2 packs of Diamond in one and one in the other to see the difference.

I've had good luck so far doing lowish OG beers with 2 packs per 10 gallons.  Hopefully that will continue.

#5 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 August 2020 - 08:56 AM

I've had good luck so far doing lowish OG beers with 2 packs per 10 gallons. Hopefully that will continue.

Yeast is cheap, especially when you’re pitching it a few times. Even if one pack is sufficient, are you gonna count the cells on the next pitch so it’s only one pack’s worth? Nah. You’re just gonna pitch it. I don’t think you’re anywhere near a dangerous over pitch

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 August 2020 - 08:58 AM

Yeast is cheap, especially when you’re pitching it a few times. Even if one pack is sufficient, are you gonna count the cells on the next pitch so it’s only one pack’s worth? Nah. You’re just gonna pitch it. I don’t think you’re anywhere near a dangerous over pitch

I get it.  I don't know why I'm like this :lol:

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 August 2020 - 12:13 PM

I've had good luck so far doing lowish OG beers with 2 packs per 10 gallons.  Hopefully that will continue.

Yeah, I think 2 for 6 gal. is overkill but I want to see what happens

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 August 2020 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, I think 2 for 6 gal. is overkill but I want to see what happens

As mentioned by doob almost certainly not an over pitch either. I think this will likely just be a minor difference without one being drastically better than the other.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:42 PM

As mentioned by doob almost certainly not an over pitch either. I think this will likely just be a minor difference without one being drastically better than the other.

Pitch rate is really never high on my list of concerns, especially overpitching.

#10 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 21 August 2020 - 07:50 AM

Tell me about this yeast - is it just an all purpose lager yeast? How does it compare to 34/70? Is it as temperature tolerant as 34/70? I don't have true temp control and just brew any lagers I make in the fall/winter/early spring and put them in the utility room in the basement where they stay about 60 degrees.

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 August 2020 - 10:09 AM

Pitch rate is really never high on my list of concerns, especially overpitching.

I’d rather overpitch than under pitch. Your biggest concern with over pitching I guess would be more potential for autolysis. But honestly that would have to be so much freakin yeast sitting there for way too long anyway.

I would say for homebrewers, it’s almost not even a concern at all unless you really want to geek out on something.

I don’t get to reuse my yeast as much as I would like just due to my brew schedule and the beers that I end up brewing. With ales it’s not as much of a concern with pitch rates, but I think I may need to change my yeast supplier. I have suspected their cell counts to be low for a bit but I’ve had a couple of friends count the cells and confirmed it. One of them manages a $1mm plus yeast lab so I trust the results.

I got suspicious because of slightly slower fermentation time with both ales and lager but also lower attenuation with the lagers from some batches of the same strain of yeast with the same beer.

The point of all this is that I’m more worried about being even a little under than like double over.

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 August 2020 - 10:09 AM

Tell me about this yeast - is it just an all purpose lager yeast? How does it compare to 34/70? Is it as temperature tolerant as 34/70? I don't have true temp control and just brew any lagers I make in the fall/winter/early spring and put them in the utility room in the basement where they stay about 60 degrees.

Virtually identical to 34/70.  Same heritage.  I think it MAY be a bit crisper than 34/70 but haven't done a side by side.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 03:35 PM

I like 34/70 better but that is just my personal preference. Both make fine lagers and will work well for you.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

I like 34/70 better but that is just my personal preference. Both make fine lagers and will work well for you.

I'd have to do a side by side.  I can't say for sure which I'd like better.  I wouldn't hesitate to use either.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 06:59 PM

I'd have to do a side by side. I can't say for sure which I'd like better. I wouldn't hesitate to use either.

Agree, both work great for a dry lager. Liquid, Bayern would be my preference.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 August 2020 - 12:51 PM

Split 12 gal. of Vienna lager into 2 fermenters.  Pitched one pack of Diamond into one and 2 in the other to compare.  Fermenting at 50F.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:56 AM

ugh - I know this yeast is slow to get going but normally I would see definite signs of life after 48 hours.  I pitched two packets into 10 gallons of 1.042 wort on Tuesday at about 5PM.  So let's see... 62 hours.  I don't think I've ever gone this long.  Looks like a trip to the LHBS is in order.  Hopefully this doesn't turn into a dumper b/c I'm almost out of beer.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:17 AM

I start to get really worried when I have a lag time that long.  I think we have discussed this but I would have used that many packages for 6g.  Fingers crossed!

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:20 AM

I know. Not sure why I do this to myself :P

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 September 2020 - 06:09 AM

if I get some new yeast into this today how likely will this turn out fine?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users