#1 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12033 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:37 PM

Jumping another level next quarter, been a long week. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I do have some mixed feelings. They're slapping a Sr. in front my title and bunping me a level. I made a big jump last Sept so it's a nice surprise to move up so quickly.

But that said, i have been thinking about leaving the area. Don't get me wrong, i live the city but the cost of living is killing me. This year I should make 6 figures but i somehow still feel poor. I just dont see myself buying a house here and instead have just beem living in a small studio so I can put as much away as possible. The nice thing is that a huge chunk of my compensation is in RSUs so it makes it even easier to do just that.

But the new promo feels like it's chaining me back into this weird holding pattern because that stock is too hard to walk away from, and I still don't see myself buying a house here even with an improve salary. Bittersweet, my dudes. I've worked my ass off for this, and the money will be nice, but I feel stuck.

Apologies for the ranting, just feeling a lot of weirdness over the past couple days. Happy, nervous, and conflicted.

#2 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4411 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:46 AM

Jumping another level next quarter, been a long week. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I do have some mixed feelings. They're slapping a Sr. in front my title and bunping me a level. I made a big jump last Sept so it's a nice surprise to move up so quickly.

But that said, i have been thinking about leaving the area. Don't get me wrong, i live the city but the cost of living is killing me. This year I should make 6 figures but i somehow still feel poor. I just dont see myself buying a house here and instead have just beem living in a small studio so I can put as much away as possible. The nice thing is that a huge chunk of my compensation is in RSUs so it makes it even easier to do just that.

But the new promo feels like it's chaining me back into this weird holding pattern because that stock is too hard to walk away from, and I still don't see myself buying a house here even with an improve salary. Bittersweet, my dudes. I've worked my ass off for this, and the money will be nice, but I feel stuck.

Apologies for the ranting, just feeling a lot of weirdness over the past couple days. Happy, nervous, and conflicted.

Golden handcuffs, I know the feeling. I’m ready to move on to something other than what I’ve done the last 25 years but deep six figures make that jump a tough decision.
Buy a sailboat and berth it on lake Washington, then when you’re truly fed up you just sail away and don’t have to pack crap up....

#3 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22950 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:56 AM

Congrats on the promotion

Seattle is stupid expensive these days. I’m happy I bought when I did.

This place went on the market recently

https://www.redfin.c...070/home/521408

22 minutes to downtown

#4 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16948 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:05 AM

760 sq ft?  lol

#5 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22950 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:08 AM

The ferry noise is significant too

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39979 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:55 AM

Congrats on the promotion. Does seem like a tricky spot tho. Where are you thinking of moving to?

#7 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45688 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:20 PM

Get a cabin in the woods and keep pimping yourself for that ladder climb.

You were born to write a manifesto in the woods.

#8 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12033 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:08 PM

Golden handcuffs, I know the feeling. I’m ready to move on to something other than what I’ve done the last 25 years but deep six figures make that jump a tough decision.
Buy a sailboat and berth it on lake Washington, then when you’re truly fed up you just sail away and don’t have to pack crap up....

Haha yeah right, the only thing I can afford is a kayak. Make sure my PH obituary makes me sound all heroic after I throw a tantrum and end up drowning lol

Congrats on the promotion
Seattle is stupid expensive these days. I’m happy I bought when I did.
This place went on the market recently
https://www.redfin.c...070/home/521408
22 minutes to downtown

Thanks man, I gotta start looking around outside the city more. I have a feeling they're going to call WFH a full-time measure anyway.

Congrats on the promotion. Does seem like a tricky spot tho. Where are you thinking of moving to?

I'm not sure. Right now I get stock every 6 months, but I had a decent amount front loaded. My two biggest remaining would have November and next May, so I told myself I could walk away at that point and make peace with leaving the rest on the table in search for a lower stress job in a lower cost of living area. The new promotion really changes that because I don't think I'll be able to leave that much stock behind.

I guess I'll have to make a decision as to committing to living here permanently and buying a place or continuing to rough it and save up.

#9 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16948 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:21 PM

Permanent WFH means you can live anywhere dude.

It's both awesome and terrifying lol

#10 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22950 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:49 PM

Invy, if you can wfh most the time I’d give Tacoma a serious look. It has good bus and train service to Seattle

#11 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12041 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:04 PM

760 sq ft? lol

That's a cool little house, though. If you can afford that, though, buy this and wfh. https://www.zillow.c...244605213_zpid/

Edited by porter, 02 August 2020 - 06:05 PM.

#12 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12033 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:14 PM

That's a cool little house, though. If you can afford that, though, buy this and wfh. https://www.zillow.c...244605213_zpid/

Holy shit!

They initially said some bs about having to remain within a "reasonable" distance to the offices. Can they really have much say on where you live for a remote job?

#13 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85532 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:58 AM

Facebook is looking at reducing salaries of remote workers if they move out of the Bay Area. Pretty messed up if you ask me.

#14 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85532 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:02 AM

Holy shit!

They initially said some bs about having to remain within a "reasonable" distance to the offices. Can they really have much say on where you live for a remote job?

My company has a rule that you can't be a permanent WFH employee if you live within 50 miles of a company office.

If you move to a location that is >50 miles from an office you don't get to start working from home though. You keep commuting or you get fired.

#15 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6639 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:16 AM

Facebook is looking at reducing salaries of remote workers if they move out of the Bay Area. Pretty messed up if you ask me.

On the one hand, I agree. On the other, I would expect a cost of living raise if I were moved to a place like SF from a less expensive area.

#16 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44062 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:20 AM

It's both awesome and terrifying lol

I get the feeling there's going to be a run on rural acreage in the near future, if its not happening already. Isolation and quarrantine isn't alone enough for me. I need a density reduction. 

Vagusland - Population 1, available travel visas 4.

#17 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44051 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:18 AM

I get the feeling there's going to be a run on rural acreage in the near future, if its not happening already. Isolation and quarrantine isn't alone enough for me. I need a density reduction.

Vagusland - Population 1, available travel visas 4.

I have a cousin who did that over a decade ago. Ahead of his time. He had to build a bridge over a river. No joke. Where he messed up was not making it a drawbridge.

#18 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16948 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:13 AM

I don't like it, but I get it.  My company already has different base salaries for the same job depending on what metro area you live near.

#19 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85532 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:23 AM

I don't like it, but I get it. My company already has different base salaries for the same job depending on what metro area you live near.

It sort of makes sense but also, wtf? Am I compensated for my skills and contributions, or not? It kind of puts a different spin on the idea that we all just negotiate our salaries based on our value.

#20 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44051 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:38 AM

It sort of makes sense but also, wtf? Am I compensated for my skills and contributions, or not? It kind of puts a different spin on the idea that we all just negotiate our salaries based on our value.

value includes more than that (sort of).  if your skills stayed the same but all of a sudden you were the only guy who could do your job you could demand an even higher salary until the labor pool caught up to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users