45 replies to this topic

#1 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8383 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:15 PM

Someone made an order comment to get me to give them a discount.  10% 2014 early bird.  6 year old newsletter coupon that expired 3 days after I issued it, back then Scott was writing them.  Early birds were in January.  You can't even respond to those people.

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33767 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:34 PM

On like $10 in seeds? Feck those people.

#3 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85534 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:58 PM

Coupons shouldn't expire. As a general rule you should always accept your own coupons.

I had a conversation about this with a manager once when I worked at Little Caesar's.

Me: this customer has a coupon that expired last week. Should we accept it?

Manager: do they want to give us money?

#4 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11297 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:28 PM

Yeah. 10% off? Let em have it

#5 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6334 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:34 PM

If they want it bad enough, they will pay full price.

#6 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12033 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:40 PM

Someone made an order comment to get me to give them a discount.  10% 2014 early bird.  6 year old newsletter coupon that expired 3 days after I issued it, back then Scott was writing them.  Early birds were in January.  You can't even respond to those people.

Long time, no see my friend!

#7 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4126 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:57 AM

Don’t know how often you see the garden thread.

But my squash and zucchini have gone absolutely nuts this year. We’ve taken at least 40 veggies off of 5 plants so far. There’s at least that many flowers still out there.

We’ve been giving tons away to everyone.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33767 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:07 AM

Coupons shouldn't expire. As a general rule you should always accept your own coupons.

I had a conversation about this with a manager once when I worked at Little Caesar's.

Me: this customer has a coupon that expired last week. Should we accept it?

Manager: do they want to give us money?

Yeah, big difference between giant pizza chain accepting a coupon that's a week old and BB accepting a 3 year old coupon.

She doesn't need the hassle.

#9 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8383 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:13 AM

We hand out 3 day coupon codes every week all winter.  You get the current one.  If you are new, use the tryannies code for 5%.  We'll give you that if you ask.  That's someone who hasn't bought from us in 6 years if that.  Coupons expire for us because it's a way of closing the sale.  If they are always good, people don't order as much.  Most of our customers realize that we work on tight margins and they want us to stay in business.  There are years that 5% off doesn't work for us and years we can do the 10% no problem.  We don't build huge margins in so we can give you a sale.  We just give you a fair price all the time.

#10 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44052 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:25 AM

just for future reference do you sell any variety type seed packs for different things?  it would be nice if I could start a wider variety of tomatoes and then distribute them to my dad and my brother and myself.  this year, b/c of my late start and covid19 I only started two kinds of tomatoes which worked out okay but it would have been nicer to have 4-6 types.  even the seed packs I bought I don't use that many seeds.  maybe I could try using some of them next year.

#11 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16948 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:47 AM

just for future reference do you sell any variety type seed packs for different things?  it would be nice if I could start a wider variety of tomatoes and then distribute them to my dad and my brother and myself.  this year, b/c of my late start and covid19 I only started two kinds of tomatoes which worked out okay but it would have been nicer to have 4-6 types.  even the seed packs I bought I don't use that many seeds.  maybe I could try using some of them next year.

You're looking for tomato collections.  5 different varieties, 10 seeds each, sold as a unit.  Problem is we've dramatically cut back on the selection at the moment due to lack of staff.  Most of the time we have a bunch available, 6 to 8 I think?

We've also got garden collections, which is a similar concept but full size seed packets and a variety of veggies.  Same issue with selection right now though.

#12 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44052 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:07 AM

Will the selection issue still be going on when I'd want to buy seeds in the late winter or early spring? Not sure how this business works.

#13 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44052 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:09 AM

Actually that tomato collection you linked would be just the kind of thing I'd want. Nice choices in there.

#14 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64715 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:11 AM

You're looking for tomato collections.  5 different varieties, 10 seeds each, sold as a unit.  Problem is we've dramatically cut back on the selection at the moment due to lack of staff.  Most of the time we have a bunch available, 6 to 8 I think?

We've also got garden collections, which is a similar concept but full size seed packets and a variety of veggies.  Same issue with selection right now though.

the Annies Favorite Tomatoes and the Northern Tomatoes collection are what got me hooked on heirlooms, it's quite the rabbit hole.

I guess I didn't need to grow 32 plant from 26 varieties, but I'm still feeling out what does well here in my garden, and what we want to can and slice etc..

Favorite must grows so far are Amish Paste, Bloody Butcher, Black Plum, Holy Myrrhbearer, Yellow Pear, Mortgage Lifter

#15 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16948 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:27 AM

Will the selection issue still be going on when I'd want to buy seeds in the late winter or early spring? Not sure how this business works.

Should be straightened out by next season.  Though selection might be a bit more limited than usual just because the entire industry is short on supply right now.  We're trying to keep a good selection in stock, but that means some of our usual varieties have been replaced by something else for the time being.

#16 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39981 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:49 AM

the Annies Favorite Tomatoes and the Northern Tomatoes collection are what got me hooked on heirlooms, it's quite the rabbit hole.

I guess I didn't need to grow 32 plant from 26 varieties, but I'm still feeling out what does well here in my garden, and what we want to can and slice etc..

Favorite must grows so far are Amish Paste, Bloody Butcher, Black Plum, Holy Myrrhbearer, Yellow Pear, Mortgage Lifter

I’m interested in your experiment. Probably asking too much but do you think you could do a review at the end of the season?

I absolutely love heirloom tomatoes but my yard has too much shade for them to do well. They stretch out and don’t fruit much. The few fruits I do get end up getting chewed on by squirrels. The squirrels apparently don’t even like them. They just take a nibble and spit them out onto the ground. Little bastards...

I’m thinking about getting some grow lights and a grow tent for my basement to try to grow indoors.

#17 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16948 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:55 AM

We had serious success growing tomatoes hydroponically on the island.  Like vines reaching the ceiling success.  I don't think every variety would work well that way though.

#18 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44064 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:57 AM

Grow the plants to lure the food. Bambi isn't wounded, he's tagged. Nest aquired, death from above.

If you do it right, it finishes cooking and dying at the same exact moment. And you're eating seconds later.

#19 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39981 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:02 AM

We had serious success growing tomatoes hydroponically on the island. Like vines reaching the ceiling success. I don't think every variety would work well that way though.

I was planning on using dirt. At least at first.

#20 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64715 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:14 AM

We had serious success growing tomatoes hydroponically on the island.  Like vines reaching the ceiling success.  I don't think every variety would work well that way though.

my high school had a greenhouse that had some tomato vines that reached 16 feet easily, hydroponic in 3 inch gravel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users