12 replies to this topic

#1 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7837 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:51 AM

We need to replace an entryway and would like to have a small patio for morning coffee. Although we don't get much precipitation, most is concentrated in the winter. The entry is a bear when it comes to ice and snow. Some is the design and orientation of the roofline, but the fact that the current entry is a combination of tile, pressure treated lumber, and concrete, doesn't help.

We're thinking of putting in a small (80-100 sf concrete patio. Toying with the idea of heating it. It seems like a luxury now, but I suspect we'd be really happy we had it when we get old.

I know there are electric and fluid systems. Any advice on which to pursue? Am I right that cost is likely to be in the ~$12/sf range? Any other things to think about?

#2 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11683 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:00 AM

Up front cost on hydronic will be higher for sure. Ongoing cost of electric will be higher, but initial cost is fairly low and they are simpler. If you can stomach the electric bill, for that size area, get an electric. Look into driveway melt systems, they will be 240v and much more robust than an interior bathroom kit.

#3 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14579 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:22 PM

Up front cost on hydronic will be higher for sure. Ongoing cost of electric will be higher, but initial cost is fairly low and they are simpler. If you can stomach the electric bill, for that size area, get an electric. Look into driveway melt systems, they will be 240v and much more robust than an interior bathroom kit.

240V driveway melt is what I was going to recommend.

#4 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44063 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:23 PM

Bro:

Imma help you out here because that's who i am and that's what i do. I'm a problem solver, a job creator, and a fully functional human engineer*.  Take the money you were going to spend on automation and electricity and shit, and do all that. But, instead of hooking it up to the grid, install a man-powered generator (a human wheel of pain) in your basement. Hire your humans to turn the wheel. Tell them they will get strong. Tell them the ice will melt. They matter, they're important.

Drink coffee and laugh at cromm.

#5 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7837 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:29 PM

If only we had a basement....

#6 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44063 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:35 PM

It's a polite term for the underpit

#7 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85532 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:21 PM

Get the fully functional human engineer to build one "or else"

#8 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18208 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:33 PM

Rather have air conditioned than heat...

#9 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25362 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:07 PM

Bro:

Imma help you out here because that's who i am and that's what i do. I'm a problem solver, a job creator, and a fully functional human engineer*.  Take the money you were going to spend on automation and electricity and shit, and do all that. But, instead of hooking it up to the grid, install a man-powered generator (a human wheel of pain) in your basement. Hire your humans to turn the wheel. Tell them they will get strong. Tell them the ice will melt. They matter, they're important.

Humans?  Hire?  That's what kids are for.

#10 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85532 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:33 PM

Rather have air conditioned than heat...

Cuz you live in humidity city

#11 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14579 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:53 AM

Bro:

Imma help you out here because that's who i am and that's what i do. I'm a problem solver, a job creator, and a fully functional human engineer*. Take the money you were going to spend on automation and electricity and shit, and do all that. But, instead of hooking it up to the grid, install a man-powered generator (a human wheel of pain) in your basement. Hire your humans to turn the wheel. Tell them they will get strong. Tell them the ice will melt. They matter, they're important.

Naw man, that’s not the way to do it. What’s the frost line in that area, three feet down? You need to dig a pit six feet down, then, fill it with molten metal. Preferably copper. The cost might be high, heat might burn your house down, but don’t worry. That’s fine. The patio won’t t get icy any more.

#12 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44063 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:32 AM

Naw man, that’s not the way to do it. What’s the frost line in that area, three feet down? You need to dig a pit six feet down, then, fill it with molten metal. Preferably copper. The cost might be high, heat might burn your house down, but don’t worry. That’s fine. The patio won’t t get icy any more.

Can we use something with a half life instead? Someone might try to gank the copper

#13 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7837 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:42 AM

Can we use something with a half life instead? Someone might try to gank the copper

We do have a lot of uranium tailings......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users