#1 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:01 PM

I don't think this was brought up here but Rogan signed a $100M deal with Spotify in May.  I remember within the last 2 years we had a thread where a lot of people didn't realize podcasts were still a thing.  Turns out it's a revolution.  There's a simply insane number of podcasts popping up now and they are getting listeners.  I think it's pretty cool, I'm a big fan of the podcast format.  It's a little like AM talk radio but almost all podcasters are independent so they can do whatever the hell they want.  Much more entertaining.  I listen to podcasts way, way more than I watch TV now.  Anyway, I thought it was an interesting topic because it does seem like a bit of a shift in the news and entertainment world.  

#2 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4126 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:05 PM

I basically only listen to podcasts. I can tailor what I’m listening to, to my interests. No or minimal commercials. And at least for the ones I listen to high production values.

#3 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9425 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:10 PM

I read about the deal and he's also moving to TX. He will save about $13 million in taxes but he says that wasn't the reason. He speaks of economic despair, homelessness and other issues. 

“I just want to go somewhere in the center of the country, somewhere where it’s easy to travel to both places and somewhere where you have a little bit more freedom,” Rogan told De Sena.

Edited by VolFan, 30 July 2020 - 06:11 PM.

#4 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85532 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:14 PM

I listened to a TON of AM talk radio in the early to mid 90s. I think that might be why I never really cared for most podcasts.

#5 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12695 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:47 PM

Stamps.com, mail order mattresses, and boutique underwear companies must be spending billions to support all these podcasts!

It’s still in gold-rush mode. No one is saying how much money they’re making for a reason. I suspect it will be a struggle to be make real money unless you’re a celebrity or backed by a big media company. I think people are mostly doing it for fun and influence, not the big bucks. 

#6 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11005 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:49 PM

Lol, I'm listening to a podcast as I read this, and the very same moment I read stamps.com, the podcast said the same words.

#7 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12695 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:54 PM

I basically only listen to podcasts. I can tailor what I’m listening to, to my interests. No or minimal commercials. And at least for the ones I listen to high production values.

Same. I think doing more audio books would be more rewarding, but they’re entertaining. There are all kinds to fit whatever you’re into. 

I read about the deal and he's also moving to TX. He will save about $13 million in taxes but he says that wasn't the reason. He speaks of economic despair, homelessness and other issues. 

Did he say about guests? Being in LA gives him easy access to celebs. The rest of the oddballs he gets he can fly in, but he’s done some pretty interesting interviews with big names that probably won’t make the time to go see him or even squeeze him in while in Austin.

#8 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9425 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:03 PM

Same. I think doing more audio books would be more rewarding, but they’re entertaining. There are all kinds to fit whatever you’re into. 

Did he say about guests? Being in LA gives him easy access to celebs. The rest of the oddballs he gets he can fly in, but he’s done some pretty interesting interviews with big names that probably won’t make the time to go see him or even squeeze him in while in Austin.

He didn't in that two minute clip. I've only listened to a handful of his podcasts but thought they were well done. I suspect this deal will Spotify has been in the works for some time now and both parties are good with the move. He/they may not care if they lose the LA market, he may gain more listeners once he relocates. 

#9 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7837 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

I think Rogan is a good and thoughtful interviewer. I think he invites too many quack scientists onto his show.

#10 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

I just saw an ad for a new podcast from...Michelle Obama!  Dayum!

#11 dagomike

dagomike

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12695 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:17 PM

I subscribe to his podcast and clips channel on YouTube. If it’s something I’m interested in, I’ll play the clip or queue up the whole podcast. I probably will stop once he moves to Spotify. I’m sure many fans will follow him to a new platform, but I’m not that interested to put in the extra work.

#12 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:21 PM

Stamps.com, mail order mattresses, and boutique underwear companies must be spending billions to support all these podcasts!

It’s still in gold-rush mode. No one is saying how much money they’re making for a reason. I suspect it will be a struggle to be make real money unless you’re a celebrity or backed by a big media company. I think people are mostly doing it for fun and influence, not the big bucks. 

IMO you're not thinking about it properly.  This is a way for a certain set of people to monetize a following that was previously not available.  You had to go through the "gatekeepers" to make money.  With the invention of direct pay services to creators, like Patreon, the gatekeepers have been removed.  Even popular youtubers are reliant on youtube, podcasting is funded heavily by direct payment from consumers.  This is a huge boon for journalists, in particular.  Even staff writers at well known institutions make pretty shitty money in the grand scheme but if they generate a bit of Twitter following they can swing it into a gig making them more money than writing.  Freelance writing is even worse, obviously.  I was following a couple of journalists on Twitter that had an overlapping following and they developed a bit of a rapport tweeting back and forth at eachother.  They just started a podcast a few months ago and they have $17k/mo of direct donations through Patreon.  They just shoot the shit about journalist Twitter drama, pretty much.  I think there's a lot of room for niche podcasts like that to take in decent money without having to be connected to a media company.

#13 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6639 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:23 PM

I listen to a lot of podcasts as well, almost exclusively educational ones regarding my business sector. I've learned a lot from them.

#14 brewguy

brewguy

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:29 PM

Podcasts started to kick off at the right time. Not many people can do it it full time, but everybody has a side hustle.

#15 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17416 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:07 PM

They just started a podcast a few months ago and they have $17k/mo of direct donations through Patreon.

That does seem quite gold-rushish.

#16 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12041 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:15 PM

The only podcasts I ever listened to were a season worth of Revisionist History by Malcom Gladwell. Those were fine. Usually I prefer to read my information as it's more efficient and easier to cross reference. I do listen to audiobooks, but that is a much more polished format than most podcasts. I dunno, not for me. 

#17 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17416 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:22 PM

I listened to them more in the before-times, when my gym was open.  I'm in far from great shape, but the closing of the gym is one of the more unexpected and terrible personal consequences of this BS.  I didn't realize how beneficial an hour at the gym was in all sorts of ways. 

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39981 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:58 PM

I subscribe to his podcast and clips channel on YouTube. If it’s something I’m interested in, I’ll play the clip or queue up the whole podcast. I probably will stop once he moves to Spotify. I’m sure many fans will follow him to a new platform, but I’m not that interested to put in the extra work.

Why would you not listen on Spotify? Youtube is horrible for podcasts unless you have the pay version of YouTube. I guess if you run it off a different device than your phone. Spotify is the shit. Seriously idk why anyone doesn’t subscribe. It’s the best money I spend every month.

JKor, regarding the OP, people thought podcasts were going away? They lost steam and resurged? Not from my view. They for sure are blowing up but it seems like ever since they appeared it’s been an upward trajectory.

#19 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:19 PM

I listen to Rogan on Apple Podcasts.  I only use YouTube to listen when I'm at my desk.

#20 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21777 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:13 PM

Yeah I have been listening to podcasts for years (decade?) regularly. Working out, manual labor, tinkering, driving, etc. Hell when hunting solo I will listen to a bunch of audiobooks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users