#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39979 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:09 PM

Sailing has really gotten me back in touch with nature in a way I haven’t felt in a while. I’d love to be able to get out in the winter in a similar way. I’ve always been interested in snowmobiles. If I were to buy one, I’d buy two so I would have someone to ride with. Seems kinda dangerous on your own if you get away from cell service and it’s nice to have someone to ride with I would think.

Where should I start to look? How much should I expect to spend if I pull the trigger? How much should I make my budget for a reasonable turnkey entry into the sport?

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65499 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

New or used??

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65499 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

Only Polaris or skidoo, 600cc two strokes. Trail, off trail or deep snow riding? Performance or luxury??

#4 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6070 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:09 PM

Don't know much about cost cause I always go with others who have sleds. But Old Forge is awesome, been there a good bit. Also my uncle goes to Tug Hill a lot as well, never been though.

#5 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9424 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

Paging BFB!  :P

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39979 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:16 PM

Definitely used. I don’t know much but luxury doesn’t seem like how I’d go. I don’t need to be the fastest but I don’t wanna get too beat up. Just enough for the booze to soothe me at camp

#7 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6070 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

Definitely used. I don’t know much but luxury doesn’t seem like how I’d go. I don’t need to be the fastest but I don’t wanna get too beat up. Just enough for the booze to soothe me at camp

It is a drinking sport

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39979 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:54 PM

It is a drinking sport

Hence my interest

#9 bierboy

bierboy

Comptroller of Temporary Pancakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14052 posts
  • LocationThe Firey Pits of Liberal Hell

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:30 PM

Waste of money. Trails aren't consistently open unless one live really far north.

#10 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44051 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:42 PM

Waste of money. Trails aren't consistently open unless one live really far north.

how far is really far?

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39979 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

If there’s no snow that is the case here but otherwise it seems like they are open. I have private land I can use in any case

#12 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23829 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:27 PM

How much snow do you get? When I lived in Cleveland a friend had several they were fun but he couldn't plan on using them and sometimes his best time was a random Tuesday.

I would spend money on a boat, dirt bike or road motor cycle since you can use it more and plan the usage. If you have 20 inches of snow all winter it is a different story

#13 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23829 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:30 PM

Dirt bikes in the snow are a lot of fun. Plus you can ride them in the summer get a dual sport and you can ride them on the road plus on trails at night

Edited by Sidney Porter, 29 July 2020 - 05:31 PM.

#14 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:59 PM

Take your wallet, turn it inside out and shake every penny left out.....
Well, not really. I’ve ridden every single year of my life, literally getting hauled into the cabin before I was a year old. Started driving one at 4 years old.
I’ve ridden all the major brands and ride pretty much exclusively back country steep and deep.
Trails are for getting to the good stuff out here. I’d recommend renting a few times and making sure it’s for you. Around here a five year old sled with 2k miles or so goes for around $5k but you can do ok with older as well. I ride a 2008 skidoo summit x 172” track with an 850 kit that’s set up the way I like but rode an arctic cat alpha one a couple times last year and it’s tempting to step up. I’ve always bought used and rebuilt the engine and clutches with some suspension upgrades since I have an aversion to paying for a new toy that I can basically get the same thing a few years old for 1/4 the cost.
There’s a lot more than just the sled to consider, look at Klim, Motorfist or FXR gear and think layering. Buy a minimum of three pairs of gloves too, wet hands suck.
Don’t cheap out on boots either, and the BOA system rocks.
You can find deals on the gear mfg. sites on out of date gear, I’ve bought most of my gear that way too.
Think about hauling the sleds to the trails too, a two place open deck tilt trailer and two sleds shouldn’t weigh more than 2000 lbs but if you get serious an enclosed trailer is very nice. I pull a 28’ enclosed v nose with a furnace, fold down beds, lights etc. with five long track sleds and use it to haul 4 wheelers, motorcycles or even the Jeep in the summer and it weighs a hell of a lot more loaded.
If I was gonna spitball the entry cost with a couple decent used sleds, an open deck trailer and gear for yourself I’d say $10k would be easy to spend and then you’re gonna need oil, spare belts, etc. ride the west or back country and you can easily spend $1k on avalanche gear alone.
It’s an incredible sport but not a cheap one.
I’ll burn through $150 easy in a day just on fuel for the truck and sleds.

#15 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:02 PM

It is a drinking sport

Truth....

#16 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:03 PM

Only Polaris or skidoo, 600cc two strokes. Trail, off trail or deep snow riding? Performance or luxury??

Polaris sucks........

#17 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:11 PM

7-D9-A58-C0-7-E91-43-A2-AF5-D-73-CC73-CC

B23-BFE54-D500-4022-92-FE-805-B7-D419-F6

E3-E56-FBB-E7-DE-4-EA1-83-AB-A7-C76-D0-F

C0-F484-D2-86-E8-4-F88-9046-46-AF0492011

BAEB4-B62-E934-427-F-BA38-89-BDCB093253.

#18 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:14 PM

I miss snowmobiling.

#19 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39979 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:28 PM

How much snow do you get? When I lived in Cleveland a friend had several they were fun but he couldn't plan on using them and sometimes his best time was a random Tuesday.

I would spend money on a boat, dirt bike or road motor cycle since you can use it more and plan the usage. If you have 20 inches of snow all winter it is a different story

How much snow? It’s a decent amount here in upstate NY.
Good info Idajack. $10k is what I was thinking as far as entry cost at the bottom rung.

#20 bierboy

bierboy

Comptroller of Temporary Pancakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14052 posts
  • LocationThe Firey Pits of Liberal Hell

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:12 PM

how far is really far?

Lake Superior far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users