#1 dave in indiana

dave in indiana

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5221 posts
  • Locationa bustle in your hedgerow

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:45 PM

So this used boat I bought has a pretty good switch panel.

NK1yaDUL_t.jpg

But the guy who wired it made it so you have to connect 2 wires through a plug to (under the panel) turn it on.  Here's a picture of the plug.  One red wire and one black wire in each plug.

L7918oQe_t.jpg

Plug it together to power the panel, unplug it to power off the panel.  I want to change this as its sort of a pain in the ass.

There is a an unused switch on the boat console that I would like to use to power the panel on and off.

nufLFXcY_t.jpg26FSGAzr_t.png

Here the back of the button (blurry big foot style) It has three connections.

PKCzbiMJ_t.jpg

So .... how do I wire this switch using the red wire and black wire to power off and on the panel?

I'll hang up and listen for the answer.

#2 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10039 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:58 PM

The rocker switches will switch on the lights, bilge pumps, etc by themselves. All the boats I have owned worked in the same fashion. Is something staying on the panel when you leave the plug connected? I see no reason for it to be disconnected. Just leave it plugged up. 

Edited by VolFan, 14 July 2020 - 06:05 PM.

#3 dave in indiana

dave in indiana

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5221 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:25 PM

The rocker switches will switch on the lights, bilge pumps, etc by themselves. All the boats I have owned worked in the same fashion. Is something staying on the panel when you leave the plug connected? I see no reason for it to be disconnected. Just leave it plugged up. 

The only thing that stays on is the blue LED's on the panel.  So just leave it "plugged in"?

#4 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10027 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:30 PM

You hook the red wire to one of the terminals and the black to the other.

#5 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10039 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:34 PM

The only thing that stays on is the blue LED's on the panel.  So just leave it "plugged in"?

You can and since you have the voltmeter display you can monitor the drain on the battery. I never had LEDs on the rocker switches but I don't see why they should be constantly on. Seems like something is amiss. 

I could also run my bilge pumps and lights without the key being in the ON position and you should be able to also. 

I agree with BFB on the wiring (likely a NO/NC switch) and perhaps its the way your boat was designed but I don't recall ever seeing a boat that needed a master on/off switch for the rocker switches. 

If you have a voltmeter and can chase down where you are constantly hot we could likely get you through this. 

#6 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10027 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:25 PM

You can and since you have the voltmeter display you can monitor the drain on the battery. I never had LEDs on the rocker switches but I don't see why they should be constantly on. Seems like something is amiss.

I could also run my bilge pumps and lights without the key being in the ON position and you should be able to also.

I agree with BFB on the wiring (likely a NO/NC switch) and perhaps its the way your boat was designed but I don't recall ever seeing a boat that needed a master on/off switch for the rocker switches.

If you have a voltmeter and can chase down where you are constantly hot we could likely get you through this.

Actually the Nitro I have does have a master power switch that controls all of the other accessory switches.

#7 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10039 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:41 PM

I have seen that now you mentioned it. 

Dave - What year is the boat? The age of the steering wheel and the led rockers makes me believe that they're a more recent upgrade and something wasn't wired correctly. 

#8 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10039 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:44 PM

Also, is the connector fused?

#9 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22456 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:07 AM

You hook the red wire to one of the terminals and the black to the other.

Usually a switch just interrupts the + leg. So you would wire the red thru the switch and black is a straight run back to the negative terminal block.

#10 dave in indiana

dave in indiana

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5221 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:22 AM

I have seen that now you mentioned it. 

Dave - What year is the boat? The age of the steering wheel and the led rockers makes me believe that they're a more recent upgrade and something wasn't wired correctly. 

Its a completely re-done '98 SeaArk.

fh7RYQKN_t.png

Also, is the connector fused?

I can't see under the dash enough to know.

Usually a switch just interrupts the + leg. So you would wire the red thru the switch and black is a straight run back to the negative terminal block.

Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PHBT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users