#1 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:56 AM

I'm thinking about getting an e-reader.  I've never looked into them at all so I'm not sure if there are even any reasonable competitors to the Kindle or what the benefits of the different Kindle models are.  PHBT, school me.

#2 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44063 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:08 AM

I just use my phone. Tired of juggling devices.

#3 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5796 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:11 AM

I got my wife the Kobo Clara a year ago. She's happy with it, especially compared the the Nook she used to have.

#4 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11297 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:24 AM

I have a kindle Paperwhite, just the most basic one. I got a refurbished model, because I didn’t want to spend too much in case I didn’t end up using it a lot

I really like it, especially because it looks very much like reading an actual book page rather than looking at a “screen”

I wish I had one with a backlight so I could read before bed

Edited by Howie, 09 July 2020 - 09:24 AM.

#5 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:36 AM

I got my wife the Kobo Clara a year ago. She's happy with it, especially compared the the Nook she used to have.

Nice, I hadn't heard of that one.  I'll look into it.

I have a kindle Paperwhite, just the most basic one. I got a refurbished model, because I didn’t want to spend too much in case I didn’t end up using it a lot

I really like it, especially because it looks very much like reading an actual book page rather than looking at a “screen”

I wish I had one with a backlight so I could read before bed

Yeah, I can see the benefit of the backlight.  Does the paperwhite look significantly different than the kindle?

#6 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:53 AM

One thing I've always wondered about the e-readers is why is the bezel so big?  With most personal electronics going to a virtually bezel-less design, the e-reader design seems stuck in 2014.

#7 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12041 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:00 AM

Functionality and cost? Cheaper to produce, easier to hold without obscuring text and better battery life due higher battery:screen. Small bezels on anything bigger than a pocketable phone is more about appearance than anything else.

#8 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14579 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:00 AM

One thing I've always wondered about the e-readers is why is the bezel so big?  With most personal electronics going to a virtually bezel-less design, the e-reader design seems stuck in 2014.

The Kindle Paperwhite that I have has a haptic sensor in the bezel used to turn the page.  M guess is that the vibrating feedback wouldn't work as well going through a screen.

#9 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

Functionality and cost? Cheaper to produce, easier to hold without obscuring text and better battery life due higher battery:screen. Small bezels on anything bigger than a pocketable phone is more about appearance than anything else.

Look, no bezel!  :)

a8c95f41096fe8444cec3bee0692f7_jumbo.jpe

I guess my thought here is that having little/no bezel gives the most book-like experience and I believe that's in line with the design goal of an e-reader.

Although, I'm sure cost is a major factor.  There could be something with the e-ink displays as well needing extra space.  I don't know, that's why I was wondering.

Edited by JKor, 09 July 2020 - 10:07 AM.

#10 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12041 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:20 AM

Isn't all the paper surrounding the print functionally a bezel? It's so when you're holding the book and turning the pages you don't obscure the print. Having the print go all the way to the edges would be annoying.

#11 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85532 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:22 AM

Isn't all the paper surrounding the print functionally a bezel? It's so when you're holding the book and turning the pages you don't obscure the print. Having the print go all the way to the edges would be annoying.

Yep. You'd end up with a bezel-less screen but with empty margins on the screen itself. That might be even more annoying than a bezel.

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35656 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:59 AM

I don't think you can get a Kindle without a backlight any more, btw.

IME, this is one of those deals where it's not worth messing with anything but the Amazon product.  It gets you into the Amazon infrastructure automatically, so when you buy a book it just pops up on the Kindle ready to go.  There's no downloading and converting to other e-reader formats, no messing around with anything.

#13 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11297 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:55 AM

Nice, I hadn't heard of that one. I'll look into it.

Yeah, I can see the benefit of the backlight. Does the paperwhite look significantly different than the kindle?

I looked back at my purchase history. Mine is NOT a paperwhite, it is just a regular Kindle E-Reader

It’s like reading a regular book. Absolutely different than reading on a regular tablet.

Also no glare, so you can read outside, etc

I think the paperwhite is thinner and has a better display

#14 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

Yeah, it does appear the basic kindle has lighting now.  basic kindle is 167dpi and the paperwhite and oasis are 300dpi, so better resolution.  I'm not seeing any obvious reason to get something aside from the basic.

#15 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

IME, this is one of those deals where it's not worth messing with anything but the Amazon product.  It gets you into the Amazon infrastructure automatically, so when you buy a book it just pops up on the Kindle ready to go.  There's no downloading and converting to other e-reader formats, no messing around with anything.

I'm in agreement here, especially since I'm already well tied in to the Amazon network.

ETA:  I see it also has bluetooth connectivity and you can switch back and forth from reading to audio if you have Audible.  That's pretty cool...and I do have Audible.

Edited by JKor, 09 July 2020 - 12:21 PM.

#16 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22358 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:09 PM

I love mine, I definitely find it similar to reading a book, and love the accessibility of so many books.

#17 Matt

Matt

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36624 posts
  • LocationYou Mom’s house

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:52 PM

I just use my phone. Tired of juggling devices.

Ayup

#18 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35656 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:29 PM

E-paper has much less eye strain than an LCD. And the battery on an e-reader will last for days, even with high backlight it will last 20+ hours.

#19 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:57 AM

I ordered the standard Kindle.

#20 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11297 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:05 AM

I ordered the standard Kindle.

If you’re just reading books, I can’t see where the resolution is going to be a big deal

Maybe if you’re looking at magazines with high res photos it would make a difference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users