#1 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9411 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:23 PM

Zaph or anyone what’s your fav grouper recipe? Someone I know just got back from the Gulf and he brought tuna, grouper, halibut and some halibut cheeks also. I can’t recall ever cooking grouper at the house.

#2 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45676 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:34 PM

Grouper has such a great flavor I try not to do too much. Salt pepper, maybe a little cajun seasoning, blacken on a hot cast iron to seal in flavors. Unlike some fish, grouper needs to be cooked. Under cooking tuna and salmon is great, not with grouper.

Some people like frying in batter, but I think that is just because it is easier to nail the cooking. I like it blackened.

#3 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45676 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

I wanted to add, I have had it were you tilt the pan and keep spooning seasoned butter over it to cook. It is a lot of work, but delicious.

#4 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9411 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:11 PM

Gracious.

#5 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11285 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:34 PM

Hard to go wrong with grouper bites/fingers

Light breading. Not batter

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33762 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:36 PM

One of the most interesting ways I've had it was stuffed on the half shell. You have to leave the skin on the fillet (scaled of course) and you butterfly it so you can stuff the fillet. Sautee some shrimp, crab, old bay, butter, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon but not completely cooked. Coat the outside of the fillet with a little olive oil and add panko to it (dont dredge it) and season the panko with old bay and smoked paprika or blacked redfish seasoning. Stuff the shrimp/crab inside the grouper and close up the fillet. Add some butter on top and put it on the grill (skin down) on med/low heat or in the oven. Cook it until it's flaky. add a little lemon and parsley on top.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 03 July 2020 - 03:37 PM.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29993 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:37 PM

I still remember stopping at That Place on 98 on our way to St. George Island when our girls were in high school.  I had never had a fresh grouper sandwich before.  It was heaven

#8 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9411 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:45 PM

Hard to go wrong with grouper bites/fingers

Light breading. Not batter

This sounds intriguing. I’m about to try Zaph’s recommendation in a few minutes but have some more that I froze.

#9 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45676 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 03:53 PM

I still remember stopping at That Place on 98 on our way to St. George Island when our girls were in high school. I had never had a fresh grouper sandwich before. It was heaven

I love That place on 98. Unfortunately they moved it from 98 to downtown Apalachicola and raised their prices about 7 years ago.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29993 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:52 PM

I love That place on 98. Unfortunately they moved it from 98 to downtown Apalachicola and raised their prices about 7 years ago.

Living in KS every time we have bought grouper has been a disappointment after that.....  

Still it was a nice memory - that had to be about 20 years ago

#11 tjbsilv

tjbsilv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

Love a good fried grouper sandwich!  :wub:

#12 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8707 posts
  • Location38.362783, -85.311367 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:18 PM

Grouper has such a great flavor I try not to do too much. Salt pepper, maybe a little cajun seasoning, blacken on a hot cast iron to seal in flavors. Unlike some fish, grouper needs to be cooked. Under cooking tuna and salmon is great, not with grouper.

Some people like frying in batter, but I think that is just because it is easier to nail the cooking. I like it blackened.

This.

#13 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9411 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 05 July 2020 - 02:22 PM

Yeah I blackened it the pic is in the Blackstone thread.

I misspoke when I said halibut. I think he told me flounder. Anyway I got grouper and tuna.

#14 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8788 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:20 PM

There is a bar adjacent too the cruise ship dock on St Thomas that has the best grouper sandwich I’ve ever eaten. The only seasoning seemed to be salt and black pepper, and it was on a grocery store hamburger bun with something red sauce that was not ketchup, nor was it spicy. Jufran maybe. I didn’t ask. Came with plain lays chips.

#15 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8852 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:55 PM

One of the most interesting ways I've had it was stuffed on the half shell. You have to leave the skin on the fillet (scaled of course) and you butterfly it so you can stuff the fillet. Sautee some shrimp, crab, old bay, butter, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon but not completely cooked. Coat the outside of the fillet with a little olive oil and add panko to it (dont dredge it) and season the panko with old bay and smoked paprika or blacked redfish seasoning. Stuff the shrimp/crab inside the grouper and close up the fillet. Add some butter on top and put it on the grill (skin down) on med/low heat or in the oven. Cook it until it's flaky. add a little lemon and parsley on top.

The sounds both way overcomplicated and amazing.

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33762 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:34 AM

The sounds both way overcomplicated and amazing.

Its not the tough to make. Not a ton of prep and probably 3 min sautéing the shrimp/crab and 20 min on the grill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users