pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21690 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:55 PM

Need to be launched.

I am antsy to go do some target shooting, need to rectify this dry spell. Got new sights and trigger kit on 22pistol that need trying, got a new G20 that needs shooting/learning (wish I had MUCH more practice on it for bears but so be it), the rifles haven’t been out shooting long since last hunt in January.

#2 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13346 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:08 PM

Go to Lone Wolf and get you a slightly heavier recoil spring/guide rod and a titanium firing pin for that G20, if you're going to be shooting suped up bear loads. 22lb spring should do the trick. If you plan on reloading the brass, you should get an after market barrel. The stock Glock barrel will stretch the brass in the hot loads.

Edited by StankDelicious, 30 June 2020 - 06:11 PM.

#3 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84532 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:16 PM

I can only throw them :(

#4 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21690 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:46 PM

Go to Lone Wolf and get you a slightly heavier recoil spring/guide rod and a titanium firing pin for that G20, if you're going to be shooting suped up bear loads. 22lb spring should do the trick. If you plan on reloading the brass, you should get an after market barrel. The stock Glock barrel will stretch the brass in the hot loads.

That hold true with the gen 4? Seemed like folks were saying that one soaks up the recoil a bit better than the stock gen 3 springs.

I have 180s to break it in and some Underwood 200 hard cast for Alaska.

Get your hunger games on. ;)

Edited by pods8, 30 June 2020 - 06:47 PM.

#5 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11905 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:56 PM

I think I might buy the Ruger 57 because I hate money

#6 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47717 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:56 PM

CHAZ is waiting...

#7 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13346 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:15 PM

That hold true with the gen 4? Seemed like folks were saying that one soaks up the recoil a bit better than the stock gen 3 springs.

I have 180s to break it in and some Underwood 200 hard cast for Alaska.

I'm not sure. I owned a Gen 3 and it helped absorb recoil. We you get into the 200gr plus range, it really batters your slide. If you're only going to load the bear loads while in bear country, you should be fine with the stock setup. If you plan on shooting those lots, then I'd upgrade. Full disclosure, I love tricking out my guns.

#8 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11601 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:24 PM

You should carry one in your pocket in case someone throws a bible at you...

#9 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21690 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:29 PM

I'm not sure. I owned a Gen 3 and it helped absorb recoil. We you get into the 200gr plus range, it really batters your slide. If you're only going to load the bear loads while in bear country, you should be fine with the stock setup. If you plan on shooting those lots, then I'd upgrade. Full disclosure, I love tricking out my guns.

I am new to glocks but sounds like they designed the gen 4 to do better from normal through hot loads vs needing to shuffle springs. We’ll see. For now yes I plan to run some mags of bear loads to verify function but then carry those but otherwise shoot 180s for range time for now.

Edited by pods8, 30 June 2020 - 07:29 PM.

#10 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13346 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:31 PM

I am new to glocks but sounds like they designed the gen 4 to do better from normal through hot loads vs needing to shuffle springs. We’ll see. For now yes I plan to run some mags of bear loads to verify function but then carry those but otherwise shoot 180s for range time for now.

It will eat the 180s all day long. The case stretching for the hot loads will happen with the stock barrel though. If you don't reload, then this won't be an issue.

#11 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21690 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:35 PM

I usually reload, I currently don’t have anything for 10mm though.

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35373 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:38 PM

Nice thing about a Wolf barrel, too, is that it won't be button rifled so you can use lead bullets without leading your barrel.

#13 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13346 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:39 PM

I usually reload, I currently don’t have anything for 10mm though.

You should be able in invest in an after market barrel with full case support without replacing the springs.

Nice thing about a Wolf barrel, too, is that it won't be button rifled so you can use lead bullets without leading your barrel.

Some of the higher end hard case bear loads have a special coating to reduce fouling. As long as you clean the barrel and don't allow an excessive lead buildup, it should be fine.

Edited by StankDelicious, 30 June 2020 - 07:40 PM.

#14 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21690 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:48 PM

Glock is polygonal rifling FYI. Yes the coated Underwood in moderation is supposed to be okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users