#1 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36890 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:50 AM

Looking at getting a nice big heavy duty cooler. Something that will last a good long while and take some abuse. My budget is Yeti but I’m also looking at the Ozark Trail. Looks like I can get a big cooler and a small/medium side cooler for the cost of the Yeti. Anyone have experience with the OT coolers?

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64865 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:01 AM

the Yeti knock offs have repeatedly been proven too be "as good as" the originals for a fraction of the price.  The ozark trail stuff has also proven to be just as effective.  I plan on getting one of the OT 52qt at some point this summer.  the heat in AL crushes my old tech colemans and igloos

#3 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21690 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:17 AM

For what purpose do you need a more heavy duty than just a Coleman extreme? Usage likely would affect suggestions.

Edited by pods8, 30 June 2020 - 08:18 AM.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39425 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:17 AM

I’d recommend looking at something with wheels and a telescopic handle. We’ve had this one 8 years. Works great
https://www.amazon.c...130548410&psc=1

#5 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36890 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:23 AM

Camping, weekend trips, boating, whatever. I need to keep ice for days instead of hours. Had a Coleman extreme years back and it didn’t do it for me.

#6 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23471 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:27 AM

I have a 62qt Coleman Xtreme. It is wheeled. If it is filled with ice and drinks it is heavy rolling on hill /grass. It will keep ice for several days. We also have a cheap 48qt, that is as big as I would want to carry. We also have a 32 and 28 (also extreme). And a little one that holds a 6 pack (9qt?).

The yeti style are heavy empty, let alone packed

#7 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21335 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:34 AM

I’d recommend looking at something with wheels and a telescopic handle. We’ve had this one 8 years. Works great
https://www.amazon.c...130548410&psc=1

I have one similar to this and have used it for years. Love it

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39425 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:36 AM

Camping, weekend trips, boating, whatever. I need to keep ice for days instead of hours. Had a Coleman extreme years back and it didn’t do it for me.

The one I linked keeps ice for 3-5 days depending. Sometimes longer

#9 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23960 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:36 AM

For what purpose do you need a more heavy duty than just a Coleman extreme? Usage likely would affect suggestions.

I have a 62qt Coleman Xtreme. It is wheeled. If it is filled with ice and drinks it is heavy rolling on hill /grass. It will keep ice for several days. We also have a cheap 48qt, that is as big as I would want to carry. We also have a 32 and 28 (also extreme). And a little one that holds a 6 pack (9qt?).

The yeti style are heavy empty, let alone packed

i agree...tests have shown that the coleman extreme keeps stuff cold almost as long as the yeti. depending on how you pack it, how much ice, outside temps, how much it is opened, etc, you can get a maximum of about 5 days out of a coleman extreme, and about 6 out of a yeti. for the price, the coleman will do the job 99% of the time unless you're going on some extended trips.

#10 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23960 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:38 AM

i take my coleman extreme on camping trips for 3-4 days multiple times a year, in temps upwards of 100. it hasn't failed me yet. i have found the biggest key is making sure everything is cold before you pack it into the cooler. if you fill a cooler with warm cans, it will be all water in no time.

#11 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64865 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:43 AM

i agree...tests have shown that the coleman extreme keeps stuff cold almost as long as the yeti. depending on how you pack it, how much ice, outside temps, how much it is opened, etc, you can get a maximum of about 5 days out of a coleman extreme, and about 6 out of a yeti. for the price, the coleman will do the job 99% of the time unless you're going on some extended trips.

my brother bought a coleman xtreme on sale at amazon for like $40, it was a 75qt version, thing is great for the price.

i take my coleman extreme on camping trips for 3-4 days multiple times a year, in temps upwards of 100. it hasn't failed me yet. i have found the biggest key is making sure everything is cold before you pack it into the cooler. if you fill a cooler with warm cans, it will be all water in no time.

same goes for the yeti's as well.  icing strategy is key.  only fill the cooler about 1/3 with already chilled products and add 2/3 of ice and you'll get max performance.  of course there are other strategies as well, like rarely opening it, dont put warm shit back in there, etc...

#12 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23960 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:43 AM

my brother bought a coleman xtreme on sale at amazon for like $40, it was a 75qt version, thing is great for the price.

i have the 70 qt...that is about what we paid for it a few years ago. the biggest downfall of it is i didn't get a cool(er) sticker for the back of my truck.

wait...it's actually the 100qt...we paid $55 for it..just checked.

Edited by Mynameisluka, 30 June 2020 - 08:45 AM.

#13 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36890 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:44 AM

i have the 70 qt...that is about what we paid for it a few years ago. the biggest downfall of it, is i didn't get a cool(er) sticker for the back of my truck.

I can make you a sticker if you want... LOL

#14 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39425 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:50 AM

Yup. I’ll even go so far as freezing meat

#15 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21690 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:00 AM

i have the 70 qt...that is about what we paid for it a few years ago. the biggest downfall of it is i didn't get a cool(er) sticker for the back of my truck.

wait...it's actually the 100qt...we paid $55 for it..just checked.

I have a pair of 120qt (like $60ish) but they basically just get used for hunting. I agree they perform 90% of what the yeti does (not 10%). The only reason I would go after the more robust rotomolded coolers is if I needed more secure latches.

Yup. I’ll even go so far as freezing meat

For hunting if I have freezer space available I get my ice blocks ahead of time and drop the temp down to the -10 to -20 range.

#16 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64865 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:01 AM

I have a pair of 120qt (like $60ish) but they basically just get used for hunting. I agree they perform 90% of what the yeti does (not 10%). The only reason I would go after the more robust rotomolded coolers is if I needed more secure latches.

or if that extra day or two was a deal breaker

#17 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36890 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:10 AM

more secure latches.

Also this. There’s always a lot of rugrats running around at family gatherings and keeping them out of the coolers and playing with the ice is also a factor.

#18 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16508 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:31 AM

OT stuff is really good for a lot less than Rtic, Orca or Yeti.

We have a Colman Extreme. It works for us. I just replaced the drain plug. Stupid dog gnawed on the last one.

#19 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45455 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:32 AM

We bought an Igloo Sportsman 7 years ago. It has been bullet proof. I abuse the shit out of it. It lives on the deck of my boats, so it gets UV 365 days of the year. The seals are perfect, the latches are perfect. We just did a 5 day camping trip. At the end of 5 days 75% of the ice was still there. It has a drain, and I drain what little water is in it every morning. Having ice in water melts it faster.

ftG5Id9.jpg

#20 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23960 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:04 AM

I can make you a sticker if you want... LOL

i want a coleman extreme sticker for the back of the expedition. i don't want to be a poser. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users