18 replies to this topic

#1 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7698 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:58 AM

I've not ridden my road bike a ton in the past couple of years. I'm trying to ride more because it's good for body and brain.

I've not ridden enough to get used to 70+ year olds noodling around at 20mph.

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8460 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:50 AM

I'm causally looking at ebikes. The winds here in Delaware are killing me and the guys I ride with have $3000 aero bikes. I was thinking if I had that cash I'd probably look at a e-bike so I can keep up with them and decide how much effort I want to put in on each ride. Also without using the battery it would probably be a good bike to noodle around the developments with the wife. I'm waiting for Covid to be over to do some test rides and get a better feel for how they perform.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12733 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:17 AM

Is the end goal to benefit body and brain or to keep up with the 70+ hammerheads? Or a little of both?

#4 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:49 AM

I think they're cool if used properly. Would be perfect for my wife's commute (about 5 hilly miles) someday. She wouldn't want to show up at work drenched in sweat but would do the e-bike. I could see getting one when I'm older. They don't belong on singletrack.

Could also serve as an equalizer for couples who want to ride together but have different abilities - more practical than a tandem bike.

#5 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39425 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:04 AM

Interesting. I’ve never heard of these, but I just googled it and I saw someone riding one the other day. I was wondering what kind of bike it was and it was one of the first to pop up. That sounds like my kind of exercise. Pedal a bit, let it take over.

#6 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7698 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:22 AM

Is the end goal to benefit body and brain or to keep up with the 70+ hammerheads? Or a little of both?

The former. Although I'm not sure I'd consider the e-bike riders hammerheads.

#7 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7698 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:24 AM

Could also serve as an equalizer for couples who want to ride together but have different abilities - more practical than a tandem bike.

I've seen some couples like this. Cyclist followed by what I presume is partner. 

#8 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45455 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:33 AM

eBikes are great for beach riding.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12733 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:38 AM

The former. Although I'm not sure I'd consider the e-bike riders hammerheads.

Ah, I didn't realize the 70+ guys were on e-bikes. There are a handful of 70+ guys in our local group ride that can easily average 20mph without electric assist so that is where I was coming from.

Anyways, outside one of the scenarios Porter outlined, if it's strictly for fitness I would save the cash and use your existing bike. Now, if your current bike needs upgrading then go for it. Putting the cash into an comfortable well fit road machine will go a long way toward keeping you in the saddle and getting your fitness where you want it.

#10 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7698 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:49 AM

I'm not in the market for an ebike. I have no interest in upgrading my Surly Pacer that's nearly 20 years old. I was only remarking that there are far more ebikes out on the road than I expected.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12733 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:56 AM

Yeah for some reason I read you the wrong way here

#12 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8460 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:23 AM

around here the bike shops were first worried about going out of business. Then with all of the gyms closed many took to cycling for exercise and they got to the point they couldn't keep up with sales. Also a perfect storm for e-bikes were many of these 50/60+ returning to cycling found the electric assist perfect for windy days, etc.

#13 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21202 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:29 AM

I rode an ebike exactly once.  I was surprised how fast you can get going on them.  It was nothing to get up to 25mph.  

#14 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6554 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:42 AM

The new moped

#15 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21690 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:52 AM

Interesting. I’ve never heard of these, but I just googled it and I saw someone riding one the other day. I was wondering what kind of bike it was and it was one of the first to pop up. That sounds like my kind of exercise. Pedal a bit, let it take over.

Some are pedal paced so you still pedal to throttle the speed.
I have never ridden them but if I was hunting areas with lots of closed to vehicle logging roads that allowed bike access I would get one.

#16 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11749 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:21 AM

Some are pedal paced so you still pedal to throttle the speed.
I have never ridden them but if I was hunting areas with lots of closed to vehicle logging roads that allowed bike access I would get one.

I have thought they could be a great tool for hunting paired with a trailer and have seen them set up for that with fat tires.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12733 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:25 AM

I have thought they could be a great tool for hunting paired with a trailer and have seen them set up for that with fat tires.

The only person I know with an e-bike does exactly this.

#18 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21690 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:28 PM

Yeah the folks with logging roads closed do it. A lot of the places I have been are hit and miss.

#19 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16508 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:41 PM

I think those are cool and may look into getting a couple for the lake house instead of a golf cart to haul paddle boards down to the dock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users