#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39425 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:04 AM

I keep getting notices on my Fire Stick about new movies that are asking $20 to rent. I’m sure some people must spend this kind of money but man that’s steep.

#2 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84532 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:07 AM

Usually that price is for 'still in theaters' movies and if you think about it that's about the price you'd pay for 2 people to see a movie in the theater. I never pay that much myself but if you're into seeing movies when they're new I could see it.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39425 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:16 AM

Usually that price is for 'still in theaters' movies and if you think about it that's about the price you'd pay for 2 people to see a movie in the theater. I never pay that much myself but if you're into seeing movies when they're new I could see it.

I get paying that in a theater. No way I’m paying that at home. I’m at home, not a theater. Some of them even have $30-$40 rentals for HD versions.

#4 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43561 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:03 AM

Truth is there are some people who'll pay it.  But, yeah, about $5 and under is my rental trigger. And that really depends on the movie. 

#5 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4036 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:10 AM

If it’s something I’ve been following for a while waiting for it to come out. I’ll consider it.

Once quarantine hit I mentally diverted some of our entertainment budget to more on-demand purchases or streaming subscriptions.

We’re not eating out nearly as much. Saving money on groceries due to fewer trips (somehow bigger every other week trips is less expensive than smaller weekly trips).

A 20$ splurge here or there is not a huge impact.

#6 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23469 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:11 AM

Is this new with covid? Theaters are closed or people are avoiding. That is the cost of 2 tickets at a theater. Most people have tv's that give as good as video (audio is better in most theaters). You are trading the theater experience for home viewing there are pros and cons of both.

I find it hard to rent anything at home. With Netflix, Amazon and Disney I feel obligated to find a free movie

#7 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43323 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:11 AM

no way.  that's how much it should cost to own a movie.

my grocery bill has gone up b/c fewer things are on sale and some prices have just generally gone up.

#8 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43561 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:15 AM

Is this new with covid? Theaters are closed or people are avoiding. That is the cost of 2 tickets at a theater. Most people have tv's that give as good as video (audio is better in most theaters). You are trading the theater experience for home viewing there are pros and cons of both.

I find it hard to rent anything at home. With Netflix, Amazon and Disney I feel obligated to find a free movie

My home is a temple devoted to our lord and savior Vagus T. Reyhaus. And in this place of worship are all the sacriments needed for His eternal bliss and enhanced movie watching experience.  You can't bong a beer in a theater. At St. Vagus', you can. I'll goto a theater if i need to get away or something. Company over, house burns down, or i find myself with nothing to do (never happens). 

But, yeah, free movies are the priority. 

no way.  that's how much it should cost to own a movie.

my grocery bill has gone up b/c fewer things are on sale and some prices have just generally gone up.

If you get sick, your grocery bills will go down.

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39425 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:41 AM

If it’s something I’ve been following for a while waiting for it to come out. I’ll consider it.

Once quarantine hit I mentally diverted some of our entertainment budget to more on-demand purchases or streaming subscriptions.

We’re not eating out nearly as much. Saving money on groceries due to fewer trips (somehow bigger every other week trips is less expensive than smaller weekly trips).

A 20$ splurge here or there is not a huge impact.

Everyone has different budgets and priorities. It’s almost never that I can’t wait to see a movie when it comes out.

You used to be able to rent movies for like $5. Blockbuster is gone of course and that wasn’t for movies currently in theaters. Shit Netflix is cheaper for a whole month. I’ll wait to see it free and spend the money on a bottle of vodka

#10 Vin Affleck

Vin Affleck

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36430 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:46 AM

I said “Fvck it” And rented “The King of Staten Island” the other night. I knew it was a just released movie, and didn’t care... Great movie

#11 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43561 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:03 AM

Everyone has different budgets and priorities. It’s almost never that I can’t wait to see a movie when it comes out.

You used to be able to rent movies for like $5. Blockbuster is gone of course and that wasn’t for movies currently in theaters. Shit Netflix is cheaper for a whole month. I’ll wait to see it free and spend the money on a bottle of vodka

You should buy a bottle of vodka for every free movie you watch or intend to watch. Or just everytime i post.

#12 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45455 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:08 AM

For Avengers End Game, I could see it. Really any movie you have really been waiting for release.

My fear is this becomes the new normal for all releases.

#13 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43561 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:16 AM

For Avengers End Game, I could see it. Really any movie you have really been waiting for release.

My fear is this becomes the new normal for all releases.

There's gotta be a price point that still makes hollywood money, but takes into account we're not subsidizing a mutliplex.  

#14 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4238 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:24 AM

Do you guys remember the crazy pricing back in the day? If you wanted to buy a VHS when it was first available for rental it would cost like $120.

#15 TimE

TimE

Peacock Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3574 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:27 AM

Because theatres are closed several of the studios have taken their movies direct to rental at that $20 rate since they can't get theatre revenue. It seems to be a pretty good business model.....

And $20 is far less than a theatre experience even for 2 people

Edited by TimE, 27 June 2020 - 09:28 AM.

#16 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23469 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:05 AM

Do you guys remember the crazy pricing back in the day? If you wanted to buy a VHS when it was first available for rental it would cost like $120.

top gun and ET changed the business model in 87(?). They sold for around $20 so people purchased them rather than renting from blockbuster.

#17 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39425 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:12 AM

Because theatres are closed several of the studios have taken their movies direct to rental at that $20 rate since they can't get theatre revenue. It seems to be a pretty good business model.....

And $20 is far less than a theatre experience even for 2 people

If you could own it for $20, and have a killer home theater, that would be maybe worth it. There aren’t many movies I watch more than once tho, so I still wouldn’t bite. Plus I don’t have a home theater. The value in the theater experience is why it’s worth the price of admission. The huge screen and sound. At least for me, it’s not really about the movie as much. And I have no problem waiting til I can see it cheap to free later.

That’s nuts. I can’t believe anyone would pay that

#18 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43323 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:50 AM

I do not recall these $100+ rentals.

#19 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43561 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:59 AM

I do not recall these $100+ rentals.

Covid dementia. 

It was for VHS purchases. We still have a ton of what my grandparents amassed. All those old war movies and such. Its all on netflix now, but tell that to the homicidal maniac gestating in the depths of the vagus ancestral hold.  Go ahead, tell him. Use your words, that's what everyone loves to do. Like talking to a rock that's 8 miles wide and thrown from Klendathu.  

#20 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43323 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:02 PM

Covid dementia. 

It was for VHS purchases. We still have a ton of what my grandparents amassed. All those old war movies and such. Its all on netflix now, but tell that to the homicidal maniac gestating in the depths of the vagus ancestral hold.  Go ahead, tell him. Use your words, that's what everyone loves to do. Like talking to a rock that's 8 miles wide and thrown from Klendathu.  

I read that sentence a few times and it was throwing me off.  I don't recall $100 price tags on tapes either but I'm sure that's what it cost blockbuster to buy them early and maybe there was a way for average joe to get the privilege to get ripped off too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users