#461 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:42 AM

the boy and I did about 55-56 miles on gravel rail trail from Lebanon, NH (near VT border) down to Boscawen, NH (just north of Concord).  pretty tiring on a mountain bike but we still had fun.  lots of gravel bike people.  one woman was hauling ass.  I was jealous I could increase my speed a little but my son can't ride as fast as an adult just yet.

#462 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15369 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:46 AM

That sort of thing is where the extra set of wheels could be handy. 29" wheels with some low profile 2.2" tires could be swapped on for rides like that, lock the suspension out.

#463 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:57 AM

That sort of thing is where the extra set of wheels could be handy. 29" wheels with some low profile 2.2" tires could be swapped on for rides like that, lock the suspension out.

I should really just get new tubes/tires for my Trek 830 (no suspension).  I didn't want to take it on this long ride because I was worried I'd have a tube failure of some kind on the trail.

#464 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 September 2020 - 06:08 AM

also I keep watching that bike repair stand the the price aint moving below $120 on amazon.  it kind of looks like it might drop as we come into fall though and people aren't thinking about biking as much so I'll continue to wait it out...

#465 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:25 AM

no prime day sale on that bike repair stand LOL!  bastards.

so I've been looking around at gloves because it's getting to be pretty chilling in the mornings around here plus the protection might not be a bad thing.  any of you guys tried the handup gloves?  they seem pretty popular right now.  https://handupgloves...ost-days-gloves

I'm still kind of toying with the idea of proper mountain bike shoes but shoes are really hard for me right now.  https://brews-bros.c...earfeet-issues/

I think I need something that has almost no arch support and is very wide in the front portion of the shoe.  I don't know this exists.  Probably need to find a bike shop or something that stocks a lot of different footwear.

#466 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15369 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:26 AM

I use cycling gloves in the warm season but in cold weather I use some cheap wool gloves from the hunting department at Walmart. Sometimes liners and warmers if really cold. I use foot warmers a lot in the winter. Pretty much any ride below 45 degrees.

#467 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:38 AM

I don't think I'll be riding in the actual winter. You doing it on snow?

#468 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25704 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:44 AM

I have never used these for mtb but I think they would make nice gloves for that purpose. They come in different sizes

https://www.harborfr...arge-62525.html

#469 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:48 AM

I have never used these for mtb but I think they would make nice gloves for that purpose. They come in different sizes

https://www.harborfr...arge-62525.html

I was thinking about something like this as well.  the military guys often wear mechanix gloves and that's kind of a similar need for protection with dexterity.

#470 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15369 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:52 AM

I don't think I'll be riding in the actual winter. You doing it on snow?

I ride all year. I have Mondays off and between the three days of the weekend there is usually (not always) a day with favorable weather (temp higher than 30, sunny, minimal wind). If not I'll get on my trainer. We get about 40" of snow a year here but it tends to not stick around. I'll ride on residual snow but not fresh snow. It also is sunny throughout the winter. If I lived somewhere with actual snowpack, I'd consider a fat bike to ride groomed snow.

#471 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7485 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:40 AM

One thing to look for is a soft snot wiper on the back of the hand.  It sucks to have rough stitching or logos across the backhand when trying to wipe your face.

#472 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:15 AM

One thing to look for is a soft snot wiper on the back of the hand.  It sucks to have rough stitching or logos across the backhand when trying to wipe your face.

that seems like a pretty common glove feature these days but def good to make sure.

#473 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7485 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:30 AM

It's on most bike gloves, but the mechanic's gloves usually won't have it.

#474 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:53 AM

It's on most bike gloves, but the mechanic's gloves usually won't have it.

True enough.

#475 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:18 AM

where do you guys shop for mountain bike shoes?  do bike shops stock them?

#476 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16965 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:30 AM

where do you guys shop for mountain bike shoes?  do bike shops stock them?

Granted, it has been a LONG time since I bought any but I just went to Amazon.  The local stores did not have a great selection and price was not great.

#477 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:47 AM

I feel like I'm starting to abuse Amazon returns on shoes. I'm only batting like .250

#478 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7485 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

They expect a high % of returns for something that you need to try on.  It's baked in to the price.  

#479 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:29 AM

the 5ten contacts didn't fit me quite right but I don't know if the regular freeriders will be better: https://www.amazon.c...=8-4&th=1&psc=1

I had read that shimano gr7 has a wider toebox area so I'm not sure if that would be better but those are tough to find in my size.

#480 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 October 2020 - 01:06 PM

ordered the freerides to see if those are better.  I'm hoping they are.

so general biking stuff....

I kind of suck but I'd like to get better.  I used to be able to endo (when I was a kid) but that was on my no suspension bike.  my new full suspension bike seems to just compress the front suspension if I slam on the front brakes at low speed.

the reason I'm wondering about this is I see in videos a lot of people kind of going up on the front tire and swinging the back tire to the side to navigate through tricky tight spots.  this is totally teaching an old dog new tricks I think.

the other thing I always wished I could do was bunny hop.  back in the day there was no youtube to teach me everything but now I've at least got some direction.  I'm not sure I'll ever pull it off.  it seems like maybe I need to learn to manual first?  I don't really get how doing a manual works though since currently the only way to get my front wheel high enough and my weight far enough back to hold it at all is to pop a wheelie which is using my pedal power to make it happen.

Edited by Mando, 17 October 2020 - 01:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users