#381 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44052 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:23 PM

I think he got Race Face Chester pedals.

Yep

#382 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1505 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:44 PM

Thx

#383 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44052 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:08 PM

so far they are nice pedals.  very grippy and a nice size for me.

#384 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23829 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:01 PM

I guess this is as good as place as any. Driving by a neighbor house I saw a 99 trek 800 sport being thrown away. 16.5 / 48 cm frame. Should fit my 9 year old in a 2 years it will be a winter project. I know the family so it confirmed trash. Their youngest is going into 9th and she road it this winter. It is the black with red trim. Based upon a 10 minute inspection.

3x7 - the freewheel is locked up this was the reason they threw it away
Chain - needs replaced
Grip shift - will replace with friction thumb
Grips- need replaced
Seat - needs replaced
Some surface rust on the frame and handle bars. Will sand and repaint with air brush in spots.
Derailuers looks ok - atlus so I may replace
Rims were straight, tires looked good had pressure
Will inspect and replace lose bearings, replace all cables and pads.

Question it is 1 1/8 threaded. I would like to pick up front shocks. Based upon the old geometry I assume I don't want to go over 60-80mm travel? Considering the weight of the rider that should be enough? But the real question can I buy 1 1/8 threadless shock and swap out the steerer? I have never removed a steerer. I assume I could convert threaded to threadless but that seems more complicated.

I could leave it ridged but he will already have a cross / road bike: (14 inch ridged drop bar conversion cycle cross bike) & (49 cm:87 giant quasar with modern drive train) that will over lap this frame.

I figure a $200 budget will get me a fun project and him a cheap bike.

I have a soft spot for the 800 sport. I had a 97 or 98.it was green. At 5'10" it was a 21inch frame. It is a entry level trek

https://www.bikepedi...aspx?item=83218

#385 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44052 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:50 PM

noice!  I wish I had the skill/patience to completely rebuild stuff like that.

#386 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23829 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

We have a 16 inch nishiki bikes from the mid / late 2000 that my oldest purchased used for $40. I think it is a 3x6 I will see if I can use it to rebuild the rear hub. The weak link with the nishiki was the shocks but the hike will be a donor

#387 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44052 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

We have a 16 inch nishiki bikes from the mid / late 2000 that my oldest purchased used for $40. I think it is a 3x6 I will see if I can use it to rebuild the rear hub. The weak link with the nishiki was the shocks but the hike will be a donor

so do you have a whole shed full of old bikes that you are fixing or using for parts?

#388 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23829 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:14 PM

so do you have a whole shed full of old bikes that you are fixing or using for parts?

So... You sound like my wife.

I have 3 bikes: 84 Peugeot, 501 chromoly with modern drive train ($450 total I paid $50 for it... It was converted to a beach cruiser when I saved it), mid level bikes direct mtb hard tail ($500), city bike 1978 lugged free spirit, racks, fenders, commuter (purchased at vintage swap meet for $50).

16.5 year old son: 2 bikes: hard tail mountain bike: Mid level frankenstein mtb. Most of the parts came from a trek 3800 that I found thrown away with a busted chain stay. I picked up a used iron horse (branded north face) frame for $20. I think I have $100 in that bike. He has a 1972 Schwinn varsity that he has never ridden (maybe $50 in consumables, most of it is free from a neighbor who was moving). It is a beater bike, with various part box upgrades, that he will take to college and it can sit on a bike rack and get snowed / rained on and eventually stolen / lost.

8 almost 9 year old. Some x Mart 18 inch "bmx" style bike that he has out grown, but still rides.

Not in use 4 bikes plus the new trek whick will replace the nishiki the all technically belong to the 9 year old:
14 inch frame/24 inch tires Schwinn thrasher, ridged mtb with a drop bar conversion into a cyclocross bike. My oldest road this from 8 till 12. With a season of cross and multiple triathlons. It is a late 90s frame when Schwinn was still a bike store bike. I paid $20 plus $100 for the conversion. This might be my favorite bike in the house.

Some x Mart mtb. 20 inch wheels. I replaced the brakes an the levers. It is heavy and the shocks are junk. But it taught by oldest the basics of mtb

48 or 49 inch 1987 giant quasar road bike. The frame was free (same person that gave me the varsity). Converted to modern drive train. $200 in it. My oldest raced triathlons with this from 12-15. This was his primary bike and his favorite. But it was a road bike he missed cross and mtb. He purchased the nishiki, $40 I have done nothing, it is in between x Mart and entry level bike store. My 9 year old will never ride the nishiki it will end up as parts for the trek.

My wife thinks she can get by on one bikes direct comfort bike.

I am down to 1 bankers box of parts. A couple spare tires and a rear wheel / tire for the trainer. I am doing really good... Tell my wife

Edited by Sidney Porter, 09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM.

#389 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44052 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:27 PM

You took it the wrong way then. You should be proud of your many bikes. Get more!

Edited by Mando, 09 August 2020 - 05:28 PM.

#390 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23829 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:46 PM

I didn't take it the wrong way 11/12 bikes does seems excessive for a family of 4.

I have always argued that everyone should have a road and mountain bike.

I remember in jr high / high school having 4 bikes: bmx dirt, bmx 1/2 pipe, road and mountain.

Working on / collecting old bikes is cheaper than cars. I only have 2 cars (sports and 4x4... Notice the theme)

The largest cause of the excess is the belief in a road and mtb. 2 sons, 8 years apart, causes a 4 bike (now 5) backlog collection.

#391 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44052 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:48 PM

Meh, as you say there are worse things.

#392 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44052 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:57 AM

I need a better bike storage solution even with my relatively low number of bikes. Tired of having to move then around to get cars out or the kids scuffing or scratching the cars trying to moving them in and out.

#393 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23829 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:02 AM

Ours mostly hang from ceiling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users