#1 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16324 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:14 AM

Our 19 year old Pioneer receiver is starting to flake out so, we are looking to replace.

Looking at the Denon AVR750H and the Sony STRDN1080

We have Bose wall speakers with a Sony center speaker, (probably should upgrade to a sound bar of some sort).

We use is mostly to watch movies and I will occasionally crank up some jams via Pandora or my phone, (with Echo device attached). External devices attached are Echo, turntable, Roku, Sony blue ray, Apple TV, Nintendo Switch.

Open to other options/makes.

THX

#2 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64144 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:54 AM

I have a Yamaha RX 363 BL I'v had for 11 years that still does fine.

#3 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6079 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:26 AM

We have Bose wall speakers with a Sony center speaker, (probably should upgrade to a sound bar of some sort).

Sound bars are meant to be a replacement for a surround system rather than a single channel speaker.  The bar will have HDMI, optical, and similar inputs for a line level signal rather than the speaker wire connections for an amplified signal.  You can find center speakers that are bar shaped, or depending on the room a sound bar instead of the surround system may be fine.

We're in a similar boat- when we moved I got an Onkyo 7 channel receiver, but didn't upgrade the speakers from our old 5.1 system.  Time to fix that!  

#4 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64144 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:41 AM

Sound bars are meant to be a replacement for a surround system rather than a single channel speaker.  The bar will have HDMI, optical, and similar inputs for a line level signal rather than the speaker wire connections for an amplified signal.  You can find center speakers that are bar shaped, or depending on the room a sound bar instead of the surround system may be fine.

We're in a similar boat- when we moved I got an Onkyo 7 channel receiver, but didn't upgrade the speakers from our old 5.1 system.  Time to fix that!  

So just add the 2 extras? Or all 8 new ones?

#5 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36739 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

I got a Samsung soundbar with a wireless subwoofer a couple years back. Sounds amazing and doesn’t take up any space.

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14965 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:56 AM

I prefer Denon and Marantz. Both are built by the same company. I upgrade AV receivers every 3-5 yrs. With that said, I only use the processor side of things and could care less about the amp section. Seems to me that your HT build is pretty basic. What you need to decide is if you want to future proof for a few years and replace with a better LCR, atmos etc. 

#7 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6079 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:10 PM

So just add the 2 extras? Or all 8 new ones?

I got new side and rear speakers since those had to be installed (or at least wired) when the basement was finished.  The plan was to replace all of them;  I just haven't gotten around to it yet. 

#8 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6079 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:12 PM

I upgrade AV receivers every 3-5 yrs. 

That often?  Is there really that much of a difference?

#9 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64344 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:46 PM

I prefer Denon and Marantz. Both are built by the same company. I upgrade AV receivers every 3-5 yrs. With that said, I only use the processor side of things and could care less about the amp section. Seems to me that your HT build is pretty basic. What you need to decide is if you want to future proof for a few years and replace with a better LCR, atmos etc.

another vote for denon

#10 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12059 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, sound bars are for crappy TV speakers, not for as a center channel.

The plasma is still going strong after 9 years. Maybe when we finally go 4K, I’ll upgrade the receiver. I’m tempted to upgrade for ATMOS though. I’m not super compelled for any other features/functions.

#11 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14965 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:33 PM

That often? Is there really that much of a difference?

Now they Atmos has set in for awhile. Not really. But when HDMI standards updated often I kept up.

#12 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64344 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:55 PM

Yeah, sound bars are for crappy TV speakers, not for as a center channel.

The plasma is still going strong after 9 years. Maybe when we finally go 4K, I’ll upgrade the receiver. I’m tempted to upgrade for ATMOS though. I’m not super compelled for any other features/functions.

Atmos in the theaters is fecking awesome

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35092 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:52 PM

Denon here too.

#14 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42517 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:27 AM

I've had a denon for a long time.  been working great.

I would only go to the soundbar if you want to get rid of the bose speakers.  I have to think you'll always be compromising some sound quality for convenience/compactness when you go with a soundbar.  and as others said, a soundbar is not meant to replace a center channel speaker.  it's usually meant to be 2-3 speakers in one.

Edited by Mando, 24 May 2020 - 03:27 AM.

#15 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16324 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:48 AM

Thanks for that. I'm looking at the Denon AVRS950H. It's in the budget and supports everything we want and some.

I was surprised how inexpensive the units are. I was expecting to shell out ~750- a grand for a "Nice" HTR. The Denon AVR550 is about $300. Granted, that's their low end model but for $600.00 I can get the higher end 950.

#16 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64344 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:40 AM

The money is in the speakers

#17 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16324 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:15 PM

Went with the Denon AVRS950H. It's their flagship of that segment. I think we'll be happy with it.

Order from BestBuy for curbside pickup. Rolled you, a guy came out and asked my name and what I ordered.

5 minutes later, he dropped it into the truck of the car and we were on our way. I can get used to that kind of shopping.

Going into BestBuy is sensory overload for me. Too loud and too many flickering TV screens. Add in you have an employee tracking you the whole time you're there...

#18 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14965 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:16 PM

Congratulations. At some point when you have speakers figured out you will want to run Audessy. If there are any other questions about settings give us a holler.

#19 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16324 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:21 PM

Congratulations. At some point when you have speakers figured out you will want to run Audessy. If there are any other questions about settings give us a holler.

Thanks for that. I'll take you up on it if I run into issues or have questions.

Denon does a good job with on screen setup. It will let you know if you phased your speaker connections. Setup was pretty easy. It already sounds a lot better after running Audessy.

The mobile apps seem pretty slick as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users