#1 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36739 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:34 AM

Now you have a wood pellet smoker? Are you feckers trying to break my wallet?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15649 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

If you are talking the Smokefire thing.  The first batch sucked.  There were fires along with a whole bunch of complaints about issues.  I would give it some time or look elsewhere.

#3 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36739 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:32 AM

If you are talking the Smokefire thing. The first batch sucked. There were fires along with a whole bunch of complaints about issues. I would give it some time or look elsewhere.

That’s a bummer

#4 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64344 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:43 AM

i have no doubt they will fix it an it will be a good grill.

the idea of a pellet smoker intrigues me, i've always been worried about the cost of pellets and availability of the pellets I might want for particular smokes I have in mind.  traeger branded pellets are $19 for a 20lb bag, that's pretty fecking pricy to me.  personally, on a stick burner I like to run a mix of about 2/3 oak, 1/6 pecan, 1/6 hickory when doing pork.

#5 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8594 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:27 AM

the idea of a pellet smoker intrigues me, i've always been worried about the cost of pellets and availability of the pellets I might want for particular smokes I have in mind.  traeger branded pellets are $19 for a 20lb bag, that's pretty fecking pricy to me.  personally, on a stick burner I like to run a mix of about 2/3 oak, 1/6 pecan, 1/6 hickory when doing pork.

Unless they are different than wood pellets for heating once out of the bag you gotta use em or lose em.  They suck up water like its their job.  You could re-seal them I'm sure.  But my buddy has one and says that's a pain in the butt and if a kid, wife, whatever forgets to seal the container back just soo....

#6 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64344 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:43 AM

Unless they are different than wood pellets for heating once out of the bag you gotta use em or lose em.  They suck up water like its their job.  You could re-seal them I'm sure.  But my buddy has one and says that's a pain in the butt and if a kid, wife, whatever forgets to seal the container back just soo....

ewww, that sucks, especially in the high humidity south east.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15649 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:48 AM

ewww, that sucks, especially in the high humidity south east.

I would think a bucket with a gama lid would be fine.  

#8 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64344 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

I would think a bucket with a gama lid would be fine.  

if wife and kids can be trusted to re-seal it.  

one legit concern i've read about pellet grills is that they dont really get hot enough to get a good sear.  not an issue for smoking, but using it as a grill that would be a definite negative

#9 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8594 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:55 AM

Like I said... maybe the grill pellets are different / better.  I know he's just using the ones he heats his shop with. 

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15649 posts
  • LocationPalmer, MA

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:58 AM

Like I said... maybe the grill pellets are different / better.  I know he's just using the ones he heats his shop with. 

I do not have much problem with humidity and the heating pellets I use.  Granted, the winter humidity around here is not much.

one legit concern i've read about pellet grills is that they dont really get hot enough to get a good sear.  not an issue for smoking, but using it as a grill that would be a definite negative

Yoder.  It will sear!

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9218 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

I've never had problems with humidity and smoking pellets. I buy big bags and dump them in Lowe's buckets with lids. Whatever you do don't buy Traeger pellets. I wouldn't buy one of their grills either, but that's me. Like drez said Yoder or Pitts and Spitts will sear good. Mine gets to 600.

#12 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4294 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:13 PM

the idea of a pellet smoker intrigues me, i've always been worried about the cost of pellets and availability of the pellets I might want for particular smokes I have in mind. traeger branded pellets are $19 for a 20lb bag, that's pretty fecking pricy to me. personally, on a stick burner I like to run a mix of about 2/3 oak, 1/6 pecan, 1/6 hickory when doing pork.

Traeger pellets suck in my experience.
Bear mtn makes a far better product.

one legit concern i've read about pellet grills is that they dont really get hot enough to get a good sear. not an issue for smoking, but using it as a grill that would be a definite negative

Grill grates solved that for me.

Like I said... maybe the grill pellets are different / better. I know he's just using the ones he heats his shop with.

I’d never use heating pellets in my traeger.
Hardwood pellets are far better.

#13 Will Flairrell

Will Flairrell

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36118 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:23 PM

I bought an assload of Traeger pecan pellets for dirt cheap(like $5 for a 10lb box) and use them with my smoke tube when I make bacon

#14 Will Flairrell

Will Flairrell

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36118 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:26 PM

I’m going to spend a good portion of my morning tomorrow and clean my grates(Smokey Joe, Weber 18”, WSM 22) they look jacked up, but redeemable... I don’t think I’ve ever cleaned them, ever. I never clean the insides of my equipment, but I want my grates to be clean.  Oven cleaner standing by

Edited by Kid Spock, 23 May 2020 - 03:26 PM.

#15 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9559 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:54 PM

I’m going to spend a good portion of my morning tomorrow and clean my grates(Smokey Joe, Weber 18”, WSM 22) they look jacked up, but redeemable... I don’t think I’ve ever cleaned them, ever. I never clean the insides of my equipment, but I want my grates to be clean. Oven cleaner standing by

what's your process? I end up buying a new grate every season.

#16 dondewey

dondewey

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3819 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:20 AM

the idea of a pellet smoker intrigues me, i've always been worried about the cost of pellets and availability of the pellets I might want for particular smokes I have in mind. traeger branded pellets are $19 for a 20lb bag, that's pretty fecking pricy to me. personally, on a stick burner I like to run a mix of about 2/3 oak, 1/6 pecan, 1/6 hickory when doing pork.

How are they so expensive? A buck a pound for compressed sawdust?

#17 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9218 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:38 AM

How are they so expensive? A buck a pound for compressed sawdust?

Because the name Traeger is on it. It's ridiculous and they lie about what's in the bag.

#18 Will Flairrell

Will Flairrell

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36118 posts
  • LocationThe Galaxy

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:55 AM

Hang them from sawhorses with #8 ground wire... hose them down... scrub with wire brush... hose down again, spray furiously with oven cleaner... Wait 20 minutes furiously scrub, and hose them off

#19 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42517 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:09 PM

I've had the same smoker and grill for probably 10 years now and I've never bought new grates. I just heat then up and scrub of the burnt stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users