#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35092 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:36 PM

I made a no Knead Bread for the first time yesterday. Simple. Pound of flour, 1/2 cup water, salt and a packet of yeast.

I stirred it together about 11pm and let it go overnight. Punched down at 10am, formed at 2pm and baked at 3pm in a dutch oven 450. 45 min total, and it could have used another ten.

The result was crazy chewy. Good, but so chewy, is this a characteristic of the no Knead method, or did I do something wrong?

#2 deejaydan

deejaydan

Comptroller of Spooning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • LocationFennville, MI

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:39 PM

AP flour or Bread flour?

I've had a pretty chewy crust on it, using AP flour, never have used bread flour though.  But the inside is nice....

#3 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17982 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:47 PM

Did you use a whole cup of catsup? Next time, I'd suggest 1/2.

#4 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9139 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:54 PM

I use Lahey's recipe with bread flour and it only calls for 1/4 tsp of yeast.

I'd say its chewier than some breads but nothing that has struck me as being as chewy as you describe. 

3 ⅓  cups/430 grams all-purpose or bread flour, plus more for dusting
¼  teaspoon instant yeast
2  teaspoons kosher salt

PREPARATION
In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons/390 milliliters water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

#5 northbound

northbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationBellaire, MI

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:48 PM

Needed a new hobbie this Winter during lockdown. Discovered this guy on youtube. Made few of his bread recipes so far.  All of them are spot on. The no knead whole wheat turns out everytime. https://www.youtube....nboy2478/videos

#6 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12059 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:26 PM

Is the bread chewy or the crust? Wet dough + Dutch oven makes a lot of steam which makes a crunch/chewy crust. Think bagels.

The king Arthur recipe I’ve been using is 1:.75 flour to water. Yours is 1:.5. Not sure if that matters.

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35092 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:43 PM

I know it's was underdone. Temp was 206,which I thought was close enough to the recommended 210. It was not close enough.

I sure do like the ease of it though.

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38884 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:00 AM

I use Lahey's recipe with bread flour and it only calls for 1/4 tsp of yeast.

I'd say its chewier than some breads but nothing that has struck me as being as chewy as you describe.

Jim Lahey is a legend
https://youtube.com/...h?v=WdlIKy2lJ_g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users