Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23102 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:03 AM

https://www.usatoday...020/5227291002/

In another article it was outlined as a defect in the mold and it really only impacts the later units 5%. But they can't tell since they share a part number.

I have 4 of their stands 3 ton heavy duty which were not part of the recall.

Working under my car is not my favorite thing

#2 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46815 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:26 AM

:crazy:

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14959 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:26 AM

How do you feck up jack stands? 

#4 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46815 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:34 AM

If you're selling them for $8.99/pr then I can think if a few ways they they might get fecked up.

#5 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23102 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:51 AM

My understanding. It was the casting of the dog ears. The casting got old and not to the correct size (too small). It can get bumped and it releases. It wasn't a design or material issue. So poor manufacturing quality control.

The part numbers go back to 2016. Only the recent ones have the issue but since they share a part number and the manufacturing date stamped so they are recalling all of them.

Napa had a recall a few years ago with a weld in the base. Once again poor manufacturing rather than flawed design.

#6 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64268 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:53 AM

My understanding. It was the casting of the dog ears. The casting got old and not to the correct size (too small). It can get bumped and it releases. It wasn't a design or material issue. So poor manufacturing quality control.

The part numbers go back to 2016. Only the recent ones have the issue but since they share a part number and the manufacturing date stamped so they are recalling all of them.

Napa had a recall a few years ago with a weld in the base. Once again poor manufacturing rather than flawed design.

fvcking made in china crap

:troll:

#7 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11401 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:58 AM

I know I've been made fun of for my HF opinions in the past, but this is exactly why I don't shop there. Yikes.

#8 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9555 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:02 AM

I know I've been made fun of for my HF opinions in the past, but this is exactly why I don't shop there. Yikes.

I would not buy anything from there that could put me in danger. I'll buy tarps and bungee cords from there.

#9 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21437 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:03 AM

HF is good for certain things and not others. Needed a pile of clamps for the camper project, they fit the bill just fine. I bought one of their floor jacks but not worried because I never go under a vehicle with the jack, it’s for lifting and then placed on stands (I don’t have HF stands but I bet they’re still Chinese even if a name brand).

I would not buy anything from there that could put me in danger. I'll buy tarps and bungee cords from there.

Till that bungee snaps and takes out an eye!!! ;)

#10 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11401 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:08 AM

I have a set of screwdrivers from there which are falling apart and will be replaced with something better. Everything else I've bought from there has broken, with the exception of a heavy duty drill I use to run my grain mill.

#11 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21437 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:05 AM

Haven’t had the same failure rate as you, not that I exclusively shop there or anything.

#12 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8664 posts
  • Location38.362783, -85.311367 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:04 PM

Just checked my four, not from HF. Got them so long ago I couldn’t remember.

#13 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36721 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:34 PM

I bought a $20 cordless drill there that lasted 6 months. Replaced it with a DeWalt.

#14 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38801 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:22 PM

If you're selling them for $8.99/pr then I can think if a few ways they they might get fecked up.

Yeah that’s not an item I’d purchase at a discount store

#15 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8559 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:14 PM

They are good for low cost, low use tools.

#16 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21437 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:15 PM

I bought a $20 cordless drill there that lasted 6 months. Replaced it with a DeWalt.

That would not be something I would ever buy there. I have bought a few cheap corded tools I planned to use in rough conditions, all still work iirc but I wouldn’t bother with their battery stuff.

Edit I did wear out some orbital sanders but I figured I would doing a lot of fiberglass sanding thus I bought disposable tools vs beating down a nice model.

Edited by pods8, 21 May 2020 - 02:17 PM.

#17 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9107 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:27 PM

Working under my car is not my favorite thing

I am with you on this. When I started lifting the Jeep I had it on 3 ton and I didn't like the optics of it, so I went and bought four 6 ton stands. 

#18 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23102 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:46 PM

I am rarely under the car. Changing oil is mostly just my arm even though the car is on stands. Jack stands are used more for brakes, suspension etc.

I do enjoy the act of having the car on 4 stands for tire rotation

#19 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4284 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:34 AM

HF is good for certain things and not others. Needed a pile of clamps for the camper project, they fit the bill just fine. I bought one of their floor jacks but not worried because I never go under a vehicle with the jack, it’s for lifting and then placed on stands (I don’t have HF stands but I bet they’re still Chinese)

I built a 4x5 welding table with 1” holes drilled on a 4” grid pattern. Picked up a dozen of the cheap clamps from Hazard Fraught, cut the base off and welded on a piece of 3/4 round stock at a 10 degree angle. The clamps lock in tight to the holes and cost me around $1/each on sale. Eastwood and others sell similar for $10-20 each to start. I’ve since made a few right angle jigs using other clamp parts to fix them to the table. Makes holding stuff tight to the pattern a breeze.

#20 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46815 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 May 2020 - 03:07 AM

I've had pretty good luck with HF stuff but like others have said I wouldn't buy something there that was meant to protect my life.  I've bought mostly hand tools there over the years and a few pcs of power equipment more recently.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users