#1 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64268 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:02 PM

So I stimulated the economy by ordering up a new stereo for the truck, mostly so I could add Bluetooth and a backup camera for the youngest who will start driving it this fall. Tonight I taught Jordan how to splice in the wiring harnesses with the adapter, mount the head unit in the new bracket and layout everything orderly so wires aren’t crossing each other and etc. he did pretty good learning it, I think Friday afternoon we’re gonna do the actual install into the truck.

The wiring harness is a bit strange to me, there was a 5v rectifier to keep the factory sub from popping when turned on, had to splice that into two different parts of the harness, there is also a tiny digital relay That bypasses the parking brake connection required for being able to adjust CarPlay and Android Auto setting on the fly. Otherwise car has to be parked, parking brake engaged, before you can make adjustments. Fvck that noise.

Gonna order the camera setup for the back in a few weeks and get that installed a little later. Jordan think we’re gonna need new door speakers and a small 4ch amp. He’s definitely my boy

#2 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46815 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:51 PM

Fooling with car audio was fun in my teens and early twenties.

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64268 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:07 PM

So much easier now than back in the day. Wiring harnesses and etc are better sorted and detailed instructions are ridiculously precise. The days of lying upside down in the floorboards of the car and splicing wires behind the dash are ancient history. When I go to do the actual install of the radio it should only take about 30mins now since I could do all the prep work at the kitchen table.

#4 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64268 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:11 PM

Oh, and also to note, the wiring harnesses seem to have standardized on colors, I didn’t have to connect the pink/black wire to the grey/white for the speakers either

#5 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46815 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:45 AM

Well, feck, that takes all the adventure out of it! :D

#6 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83596 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:31 AM

The worst thing is replacing door panel speakers. 100% chance of breaking one of those plastic rivets

#7 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64268 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:34 AM

A trim panel tool reduces that to about 33%

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14959 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:30 AM

Cool stuff. How did you make the connections from the adapter to the HU? I started using butt connectors and didnt like the bulk and had a difficult time getting a proper crimp even using a dedicated crimp tool. So I decided to solder and heat wrap instead. Also, I find it interesting that Carplay and AA cannot be messed with on the fly. My 2018 Chevy MyLink and the wife's aftermarket Kenwood HU allow those settings to be used on the fly. That feature must vary from different manufacturer's.  

#9 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34994 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:34 AM

Where's weep when you need her?

#10 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64268 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 21 May 2020 - 06:46 AM

Cool stuff. How did you make the connections from the adapter to the HU? I started using butt connectors and didnt like the bulk and had a difficult time getting a proper crimp even using a dedicated crimp tool. So I decided to solder and heat wrap instead. Also, I find it interesting that Carplay and AA cannot be messed with on the fly. My 2018 Chevy MyLink and the wife's aftermarket Kenwood HU allow those settings to be used on the fly. That feature must vary from different manufacturer's.

i used crimp caps to make the connections, not may favorite way but since the head unit is mechless it’s quite small so there is a ton of room behind it, thing is only 2.5” deep. So some extra bull didn’t bother me. From what I can tell the CP and AA thing is a new “feature” that all the manufacturers are beginning to adopt, not sure if it’s a regulation or not

#11 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21437 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:02 AM

Cool stuff. How did you make the connections from the adapter to the HU? I started using butt connectors and didnt like the bulk and had a difficult time getting a proper crimp even using a dedicated crimp tool.

One like this? I find they work well with quality jacketed connectors.

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B0069TRKJ0

Edited by pods8, 21 May 2020 - 07:02 AM.

#12 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43033 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:03 AM

Where's weep when you need her?

Came here for this

#13 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64268 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:05 AM

i have a similar one, those are very nice tools.

#14 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46815 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:24 AM

I'm mildly tempted to add CarPlay head unit to the 911 but it's on a Bose proprietary system which is a PITA to feck with.  I'll probably skip it.

#15 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14959 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:25 AM

I've got a nice crimper I purchased that Matt recommended. The connectors I was using came from HD so that could of been my issue. 

#16 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14959 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:28 AM

I'm mildly tempted to add CarPlay head unit to the 911 but it's on a Bose proprietary system which is a PITA to feck with.  I'll probably skip it.

Bummer, Carplay is the shit. Its the only reason why I switched to an Iphone. I got tired of Google updating AA all the time and totally making it unstable every other month. I haven't had that issue with Carplay. With that said, both are awesome (when AA actually worked) and if you have the means, everyone should be running it. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 21 May 2020 - 07:29 AM.

#17 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64268 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:35 AM

Bummer, Carplay is the shit. Its the only reason why I switched to an Iphone. I got tired of Google updating AA all the time and totally making it unstable every other month. I haven't had that issue with Carplay. With that said, both are awesome (when AA actually worked) and if you have the means, everyone should be running it. 

ya, carplay is pretty friggin awesome.  it was a deal breaker on which head unit i bought.  The Alpine ilx650 was one of the cheapest name brands that had CP available

#18 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21437 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:39 AM

I've got a nice crimper I purchased that Matt recommended. The connectors I was using came from HD so that could of been my issue.

The vinyl jacket ones are fairly crappy, I’d have to look back where I ordered my nicer ones from. I also have uninsulated seamless butt connectors which are even nicer imho but you have to tape or heat shrink them after the fact, also the crimp tool is different (still low cost though).

#19 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46815 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:59 AM

I've used it in rental cars.  I agree it is awesome.  I would install it if I was driving alot but I don't commute in my daily driver and I don't drive the 911 enough to justify it.  Plus I'm usually driving with the top down and getting a flat six symphony.  :)

#20 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23102 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:51 AM

I'm mildly tempted to add CarPlay head unit to the 911 but it's on a Bose proprietary system which is a PITA to feck with. I'll probably skip it.

Same with the Miata.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users