#1 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4294 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:13 AM

I know several here have cut the cord.
I’ve procrastinated mainly due to the 95 grandma and associated learning curve as well as the DVR that I use often to store shows I don’t want to watch live.
Considering going to an OTA antenna and potentially a dvr like the tablo with four tuners and capability of utilizing up to an 8 terabyte hard drive.
What are people using?
There is a local outfit that offers to install and wire in an antenna for sub $150 and the tablo looks as though it’ll work with Apple TV as well as firestick, I like the Apple TV for the simplicity of iOS use from an iPad or iPhone and firestick is in use on a couple tv’s
Looking for other’s experiences.

#2 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64344 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:18 AM

i've had apple tv (older version) and fireTV and ChromeCast.  I prefer FireTV of those.  I've heard good things about Roku as well but it hasn't been a compelling enough argument for me to swap out.

we use YouTubeTV for access to networks and local news channels (to far out for antenna and to much terrain in between here and the big stations), we also have netflix and of course amazon content.  it is more than we really need in truth, it is possible we'll cut loose Netflix someday, not sure on that tho

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35092 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:22 AM

Depending on what streaming services you have, DVR is no longer required.  Just stream it.  When we first switched to Sling I had a whole list of programs to DVR that I'd copied from the DISH.  I brought that list with me when I moved from Sling to Hulu.  Hulu's personal DVR is rather small and I quickly found that I didn't need to "record" anything because almost everything was available on demand. The only exception would be if you wanted to time shift sports.  You just don't need to save most stuff locally anymore.

As far as the antenna goes, I still have mine in the attic, but we only use it for backup now.  Streaming locals from Hulu or YouTubeTV is just SO much easier.  They'll have a single interface instead of having to switch between OTA and streaming.  I don't know how much YT costs but Hulu is only $54

#4 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45236 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:23 AM

Many of the Roku apps for stations provide streaming of their programs. We pay $45 for the old Dish welcome package which offers local channels and DVR, plus cable channels that we never watch. It does however allow us to use apps on the free Roku that is on the TV. Most of what we watch is through the apps.

#5 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64344 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 20 May 2020 - 08:29 AM

Depending on what streaming services you have, DVR is no longer required.  Just stream it.  When we first switched to Sling I had a whole list of programs to DVR that I'd copied from the DISH.  I brought that list with me when I moved from Sling to Hulu.  Hulu's personal DVR is rather small and I quickly found that I didn't need to "record" anything because almost everything was available on demand. The only exception would be if you wanted to time shift sports.  You just don't need to save most stuff locally anymore.

As far as the antenna goes, I still have mine in the attic, but we only use it for backup now.  Streaming locals from Hulu or YouTubeTV is just SO much easier.  They'll have a single interface instead of having to switch between OTA and streaming.  I don't know how much YT costs but Hulu is only $54

YT is $50

#6 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10934 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

Like George said, most everything is available on demand and you don't need to record.  But for OTA channels I use a Sling box that you can connect an antenna into, as well as a USB drive for recording.  It then slipstreams the OTA channels into the Sling interface, so you can have a single pane experience.  Works pretty well, but I need a better antenna.

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35092 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:28 AM

I've got an AirTV that you can have if you pay for the shipping to you. I hate the thing.

#8 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42520 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:37 AM

Sling requires a subscription right?

I have cable but never use it directly. I stream a few things via network apps. Amazon, free streaming apps, etc.

#9 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64344 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:40 AM

Sling requires a subscription right?

yes, like $25/month iirc.  we used it when we had aerial to local channels.  losing aerial capability in AL forced us into YouTubeTV

#10 TimE

TimE

Peacock Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3532 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:15 PM

YT tv, Prime, Disney + and PBS Live here. We can either watch live or stream anything we want

#11 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2255 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:38 AM

Antenna and TiVo OTA w/3TB drive and 4 tuners for local stuff.

Roku TV in Living room and an older Roku box in the guest bedroom. For streaming services.

Plex Server with my personal video library (mostly ripped DVDs). Streams to the Roku or directly to other devices (computers, tablets, etc.)

I activate and deactivate various streaming services according to the seasons of various shows. HBO Now for Westworld, Game of Thrones (when it was on), Showtime for Shameless, Ray Donovan, Penny Dreadful, SlingTV mainly for AMC for Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, CBS All-Access for Star Trek Discovery.

This results in having to navigate 2 different systems with different remotes (TiVo and Roku) which drives my wife crazy, but I've gotten used to! The TiVo Remote is RF and the Roku is IR, so I can't even find a decent universal remote to do everything!

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35092 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:58 AM

This results in having to navigate 2 different systems with different remotes (TiVo and Roku) which drives my wife crazy, but I've gotten used to! The TiVo Remote is RF and the Roku is IR, so I can't even find a decent universal remote to do everything!

Logitech Harmony Companion

https://smile.amazon...90087502&sr=8-2

#13 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42520 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:13 PM

Plex is great

#14 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10934 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:09 PM

Plex is the shit.  And it's free, unless you want the extra features they offer like local downloads to devices and whatnot.

#15 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4294 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 09:29 PM

Antenna and TiVo OTA w/3TB drive and 4 tuners for local stuff.

Roku TV in Living room and an older Roku box in the guest bedroom. For streaming services.

Plex Server with my personal video library (mostly ripped DVDs). Streams to the Roku or directly to other devices (computers, tablets, etc.)

I activate and deactivate various streaming services according to the seasons of various shows. HBO Now for Westworld, Game of Thrones (when it was on), Showtime for Shameless, Ray Donovan, Penny Dreadful, SlingTV mainly for AMC for Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, CBS All-Access for Star Trek Discovery.

I’m leaning toward the Tablo for four tuners and ability for up to 8 terabytes storage.
I’ve got a mix of Apple TV and firestick streaming devices already but kinda think I’ll migrate to the Apple TV since there are several iPhones and iPads around here already.
PLEX is intriguing but I really don’t have many dvds since pretty much all movies I’ve “purchased” have been via amazon instant video already. I suppose I’m screwed if they ever decide to discontinue amazon instant video for some reason.
Local company offers an antenna they say works great for my area installed to one device for $149.00. I can do it my self for less but they’ve got the experience of setting it up to just work well from the start.

#16 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2255 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:27 PM

I’m leaning toward the Tablo for four tuners and ability for up to 8 terabytes storage.
I’ve got a mix of Apple TV and firestick streaming devices already but kinda think I’ll migrate to the Apple TV since there are several iPhones and iPads around here already.
PLEX is intriguing but I really don’t have many dvds since pretty much all movies I’ve “purchased” have been via amazon instant video already. I suppose I’m screwed if they ever decide to discontinue amazon instant video for some reason.
Local company offers an antenna they say works great for my area installed to one device for $149.00. I can do it my self for less but they’ve got the experience of setting it up to just work well from the start.

Yeah, If I were putting it together today, I'd give Tablo some serious consideration. But, I got a really good deal on the TiVo. When they first introduced the Roamio OTA, they had it available for a limited time at select Best Buy stores for $50. I called every Best Buy in a 30 mile radius until I found one. It only had a 500MB drive, but I upgraded that myself.

The TiVo actually sat unused for a couple of years because I couldn't get good reception on all channels in my area. The fix for that turned out to be a Dual Quad-Bay antenna, pointed west with one side cocked slightly to the south and the other slightly north.

I've never been impressed with the AppleTV. Especially when the Roku did about the same thing for a lot less. I say this despite being what some would call an Apple fanboi... (I support Mac computers for a living!) I think it's gotten better, but I'm fully invested in Roku now.

Edited by jimdkc, 21 May 2020 - 10:32 PM.

#17 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4294 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:55 PM

Yeah, If I were putting it together today, I'd give Tablo some serious consideration. But, I got a really good deal on the TiVo. When they first introduced the Roamio OTA, they had it available for a limited time at select Best Buy stores for $50. I called every Best Buy in a 30 mile radius until I found one. It only had a 500MB drive, but I upgraded that myself.

The TiVo actually sat unused for a couple of years because I couldn't get good reception on all channels in my area. The fix for that turned out to be a Dual Quad-Bay antenna, pointed west with one side cocked slightly to the south and the other slightly north.

I've never been impressed with the AppleTV. Especially when the Roku did about the same thing for a lot less. I say this despite being what some would call an Apple fanboi... (I support Mac computers for a living!) I think it's gotten better, but I'm fully invested in Roku now.

I’ve actually had good experience with the gen 4 Apple TV as a streaming device and like the way it ties in with the other iOS devices.
I’ve got a couple old (10years maybe) roku boxes somewhere I suppose I could hookup and try out but they’re old and I’m thinking Apple TV for seamless across the five TVs in the house.
(Bedroom, office, garage, and two living rooms) and potentially moving one outside or adding one to the patio.
As far as the antenna it seems like a no brainer to have these guys out for $150 ish since they know what the best orientation is for the area already, for an extra $30 they can put it in the attic but I’m not bothered by one being mounted on the house

#18 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35092 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:03 AM

I think $150 for an installed antenna is a great deal.  A good antenna will be $80 by itself.

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14965 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:25 AM

I've been unplugged for over 5 years. For my antenna and figuring out what stations I could get using various antennas and their locations TVFool was a great tool.

https://www.tvfool.com/

I was an early adopter for Roku, Chromecast and Fire TV/Sticks and still use updated equipment from all three. What phone we have didnt play into the decision making of what we went with since we had Android and Iphone in the family. Now we have nothing but Iphones and still doesn't matter what type of streamer we own.  About 2 years ago lightning hit and we lost a bunch of equipment. I was on a budget and decided to get a TCL Series 6 UHD Roku TV. Probably the best decision I made in TV's in forever. I probably will never buy another Samsung again.  

#20 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8331 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:32 AM

It's been so long I don't remember what we had.  I stream on my 6 inch kindle.  Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users