#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34993 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:18 PM

Eventually, we'll move this to the recipe section, but for now leaving it here will let everyone comment.

I'm thinking that it might be time to start planning meals that use meat as a flavoring for starches and veg instead of as the star of the meal. I'm not trying to set rules for everybody, but I'm going with 1/2 pound of meat for a meal for four people.

I'm thinking things like soups, fried rice, stuffed peppers, etc will be good candidates. I'm hoping that others will post recipe ideas here as well.

I've got beef vegetable soup on deck this week, and I'm looking for a recipe for a good tortilla soup.

Anybody else want to play?

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12606 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:49 PM

This is a classic comfort food from my youth. Not for the diet conscious.

Creamed Chipped Beef, Elevated

(serves 8)

10 oz. dried beef

6 c. boiling water

1/4 c. finely diced shallot

1/2 c. unsalted butter

1/2 c. flour

2 c. chicken broth (hot) 

1-1/2 c. whipping cream

1 tsp. dijon mustard

1/2 tsp. ground ginger

8 dashes tobasco or other hot sauce

1/4 c. cooking sherry

1. Place beef in a bowl with the boiling water for 5 min. Drain and chop.

2. Over med. heat, saute shallots in melted butter until soft and golden, about 5 min.

3. Stir in flour and cook while stirring for 2 minutes. Add broth gradually. Cook stirring constantly until thick, about 3 min.

4. Stir in beef, cream, mustard, ginger, and hot sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth, about. 2min. Stir in sherry.

Ladle over buttered baked potato. Serve leftovers on a biscuit or toast for breakfast with an egg or two on top. 

#3 TxBrewer

TxBrewer

CrAp Czar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21000 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 07:54 PM

Tortilla
Katchup

#4 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4284 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:07 PM

Eventually, we'll move this to the recipe section, but for now leaving it here will let everyone comment.

I'm thinking that it might be time to start planning meals that use meat as a flavoring for starches and veg instead of as the star of the meal. I'm not trying to set rules for everybody, but I'm going with 1/2 pound of meat for a meal for four people.

I'm thinking things like soups, fried rice, stuffed peppers, etc will be good candidates. I'm hoping that others will post recipe ideas here as well.

I've got beef vegetable soup on deck this week, and I'm looking for a recipe for a good tortilla soup.

Anybody else want to play?

You expecting a shortage of meat?
I’d be more likely to alternate straight vegetarian meals for the most part but in the spirit of your request.

Plov, it’s a uzbecki fried rice/pilaf sorta thing.
Most recipes call for 1.5-2 lbs meat and a lb or so of rice along with onion, carrots, garbanzo beans and such. I learned from an old uzbecki refugee who would use maybe 2 lbs of lamb or goat and as much fat as he could get ahold of with 5 or more lbs rice. So obviously the meat component can be smaller. The fat really brings the flavor.
Fried rices work well with small amounts of meat as well as eggs.
Beans and rice using fatty cheap cuts of meat can do well. A 30lb sack of pintos is cheap around here.
Potatoes and onions have been free for the taking the last couple months. My mom got access to straight off the farm lentils, split peas and garbanzo beans for $10/25lbs so I had her grab me 50 of each.
Not a huge fan of split peas but they will do in a pinch.
Honestly though I haven’t seen a shortage of meat and actually have a freezer full of chicken, pork and beef.
I need to pick up a goat that I bought and had butchered as well.
If it starts getting to look like things are gonna be scarce I’ll pick up a dozen or so Cornish x or red ranger chickens and another goat that I can raise on free range and scrap food for meat and if it gets real bad I’ll go shoot a deer from the porch of the cabin.
ETA: I can spend a couple hours drinking beer and come home with a dozen fish several places within an hour or so.

Edited by idajack, 18 May 2020 - 08:09 PM.

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34993 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:11 PM

All of us aren't as rural as you, Ida. Maybe not scarcity yet, but more expensive than I might want to spend for everyday meals.

And I freaking love split peas. They are a staple of my longterm buckets for flavor and protein.

#6 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64268 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:16 PM

We’re pretty rural here but prices are on their way up, selection is way down, steaks are pretty much off the menu around here these days. Chicken and pork still reasonable for the moment

#7 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45175 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:17 PM

Shrimp is still $6 a pound for just tails. We are headed to Cayo Costa this weekend to fill some coolers with black sea bass. I think we will just shift to more seafood.

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34993 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:46 PM

My first contribution is beef vegetable soup (with a vegan option)

This is more of a procedure than a recipe. You can use fresh, frozen, or canned veggies as needed. As you move through that progression add the veg earlier, so fresh cooks longest and canned cooks the least. Cabbage is NOT optional, or you end up with an unsatisfying vegetable broth rather than a fulfilling meal. If broth is not available, water works. Or water and bullion works.

1/2 pound of beef stew meat, or you could get away with ground if you had to. Floured and browned in a few tablespoons of oil. Use a bit more oil if you're trying to up the calories, because as written this soup is quite low in calorie density, but high in flavor.
Add a pound of cabbage in a rough cut. You want some to survive a whole pieces and some to break down. Brown a bit.
Add a bay leaf and 1/2 tsp of dried thyme OR marjoram OR sage OR a combination not to exceed about 1/2 tsp.
Add a can (or two cups) of diced tomatoes with juice and 1/2 cut of diced onions. Brown some more.
Add about a cup of beef broth and pressure cook for half an hour, or slow cook until the meat is tender and the cabbage is starting to break down.
Add 2 cups of frozen peas and carrots and 1 cup of frozen corn, plus beef broth to make six more cups. If you're using canned with the juice use less broth.
Add two cups of chickpeas, OR black beans, OR lima beans, OR a mixture, drained and rinsed.
Adjust salt and pepper to taste, simmer for about half an hour.
Turn off the heat and let sit and marry flavors for half an hour. Remove the bay leaf and adjust final seasoning.
Serve with bread and butter.

To make a vegan version, substitute 1/2 pound of mushrooms, ground like my vegan chili, for the beef and use vegetable broth or tomato juice in place of beef broth. Add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast before the final simmer.

You can also add potatoes to this if you have them - small dice before the final simmer - or quick barley - half a cup before final simmer.

#9 bierboy

bierboy

Comptroller of Temporary Pancakes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13887 posts
  • LocationThe Firey Pits of Liberal Hell

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:59 PM

sushi. 1/2lb of tuna is more than enough for two people and is dinner tomorrow. Plus, the Aldi tuna works pretty well for it.

Grill smaller amounts of marinated meat thinly slices with loads veggies kebab like. That's a summer staple for us.

I have been turning to SE Asian and Korean a lot lately for healthy eating. Serious Eats has some good recipes.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34993 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:06 PM

Chicken Gumbo

Trinity:

4 cups chopped onions

2 cups chopped bell pepper

2 cups chopped celery

Roux:

1 cup flour

1 cup oil

Others:

2 cloves garlic, minced/pressed

8 cups chicken stock or water

1/2 pound chicken thighs, whole

1/2 pounds smoked sausage, half moons (optional)

bay leaf

Cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's but Slap Yo Mama or any other is fine, including home mixed) Start with 2 Tbsp and adjust to taste and heat.  Always add this seasoning before final adjustments for salt.

File powder

Rice to serve

Have the Trinity cut and ready to go; it will stop your roux from cooking when added.

Make a brick roux with 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of oil.  Use medium heat and stir constantly and carefully to ensure that there aren't any burnt corners.  If anything is black, throw it away and try again.  Once everything is a nice red, brick color add the Trinity to stop it cooking and browning further. Add the broth.

If using sausage, but it into half moons and brown in a pan. Deglaze with some of the broth and add to the pot along with the rest of the broth.

Add garlic and spice.

Add chicken and simmer with broth until the chicken is done. Remove chicken so it doesn't get hammered and continue simmering soup for at least an hour.

While soup is simmering, shred chicken and cook white rice.

Last ten minutes of simmer, remove bay leaf and add back shredded chicken.

Adjust salt, pepper, and acid to taste.

Serve over white rice with file powder.

#11 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34993 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:27 PM

White Beans and Ham

1 pound navy or great northern beans, rinsed and picked, soaked overnight with water discarded.

1 cup onions, small dice

1/2 cup carrots, very fine dice (optional)

4-5 oz ham.  Canned is okay, or very small dice.  Even a ham hock bone or a smoked turkey wing will work.

1 tsp caraway seeds

S&P to taste

Put everything in a pot and cover with about 1" of water or veg broth and simmer for an hour or two.

When the beans are soft and everything tastes "done" use a potato masher or a fork to mash up some of the beans to thicken to desired consistency.

Adjust salt, pepper and acid (cider vinegar) to taste

Serve with corn bread and butter.

#12 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4284 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:22 PM

All of us aren't as rural as you, Ida. Maybe not scarcity yet, but more expensive than I might want to spend for everyday meals.

And I freaking love split peas. They are a staple of my longterm buckets for flavor and protein.

The Boise Metro is 709,000 people, but they faho’s population is 1.75 million
It’s more a matter of being plugged into the local food scene and also knowing how to not he dependent on the traditional food chain.
Aspen mentioned stocking up on meat last week when he and his better half came to visit. Four or five texts later I could’ve sent him home with 1/2 of cow or pig. And not GMO bs meat either, pastured pork or grass fed cow.
But yeah, Idaho is small population but I’m happy this way.

#13 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22727 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:18 AM

Shrimp is still $6 a pound for just tails. We are headed to Cayo Costa this weekend to fill some coolers with black sea bass. I think we will just shift to more seafood.

Probably a smart move. A local headline here read: Fishing boat returns with tons of tuna, but there’s no restaurant market — so they’re selling to the public

#14 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42410 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:49 AM

Last week I bought prime strip steaks for $10/lb. Pretty good deal I thought.

#15 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16310 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:02 AM

I made a batch of Instapot Red Beans and rice last night. Enough for a few meals. So good.

#16 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11401 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:23 PM

Chicken Caesar salad. A half pound is plenty, if thinly sliced. Having this tonight with big portions of lettuce and tomato, homemade baguette toast dipped in olive oil.

#17 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42410 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:05 AM

A lot of foods from places where people have been through some hardship have great recipes that can stretch a little meat a long way.

#18 Corbin

Corbin

Comptroller of Annoying-assed Threads That Go Too Freaking Long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9555 posts
  • LocationSt. louis, Mo.

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:07 AM

I made a batch of Instapot Red Beans and rice last night. Enough for a few meals. So good.

care to share recipe? Love red beans and rice.

#19 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16310 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:01 AM

care to share recipe? Love red beans and rice.

Sure. Just winged it but, it was good.

1 onion chopped

3 ribs of celery

1 Green bell pepper chopped

3-4 cloves of garlic crushed and chopped

1 bay leaf

1 box of Vegetable broth

3/4# pound red beans

Add everything to thing to the InstaPot and pressure cook for 28 minutes on high. Release pressure.

Add any sausage/meat you want at this time.

Pressure cook for 10 minutes on High. Allow pressure to slow bleed.

Serve over rice of choice.

#20 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14209 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:56 PM

I'm thinking that it might be time to start planning meals that use meat as a flavoring for starches and veg instead of as the star of the meal. 

I don't have a recipe to share, but you've basically just described Japanese cuisine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users