#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35656 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 April 2020 - 07:32 PM

I haven't read fiction for pleasure in so long that I had to search for my Kindle and charge it before I could start the book I bought. I typically listen to audiobooks voraciously, but I haven't "read" anything in at least a year.

I've recently been preparing to play a paper-and-dice RPG called Shadowrun with some old friends who used to play with me in college. Since it's been about 27 years, I wanted to get back in the world by reading some of the fiction set there. I checked for audiobooks but they're old enough that there are only a few on Audible and none of the series are complete. I have some of the paperbacks still, but checking Amazon I found the first trilogy for $4.99 on Kindle so I went that route.

I must say I've been enjoying reading immensely. Sitting in the office with the windows open listening to the spring birds and wind in the trees while I read has been very relaxing. Reading engages a different part of the brain than listening, too. You have to focus more, and there's something of a meditative state going on.

I used to read absolutely constantly. I was a guy who always had a paperback on me. But with everything going on and all this media competing for time and attention I just lost the habit. I'm definitely going to pick it back up.

#2 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5796 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 April 2020 - 07:43 PM

I need to. I did a good bit of college and all of grad school in my 40s with a full time job and two small kids. Reading for pleasure got replaced with textbooks and research papers. Somewhere in there I got a smartphone and its constant newsfeeds, not to mention you drunkies. Most of the fiction I've read in the last decade was kids books at bedtime. I did read The Hobbit while I was in the Grand Canyon, which was a spectacular combination. I also read Realms Anchor when it was released. The author of that one needs to get off his ass and release some new shit.

#3 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6072 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 27 April 2020 - 07:46 PM

I need to. I did a good bit of college and all of grad school in my 40s with a full time job and two small kids. Reading for pleasure got replaced with textbooks and research papers. Somewhere in there I got a smartphone and its constant newsfeeds, not to mention you drunkies. Most of the fiction I've read in the last decade was kids books at bedtime. I did read The Hobbit while I was in the Grand Canyon, which was a spectacular combination. I also read Realms Anchor when it was released. The author of that one needs to get off his ass and release some new shit.

This, but I drank constantly through Realms Anchor, and barely remember any of it.

#4 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48667 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 April 2020 - 09:43 PM

I can't remember the last time i read an entire fiction book. Maybe college? I went through a phase (~10yrs ago) where i was genuinely trying to read at night. I learned that if i read a book in bed I immediately fall asleep. I can't even get through one page. So i gave up.

#5 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44063 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 28 April 2020 - 03:21 AM

This, but I drank constantly through Realms Anchor, and barely remember any of it.

This.

I will say that while many have had the pandemic slow the rate of certain projects, the realm has been going strong. It's getting a knob polish as I wait for feedback from the beta readers. I expect a round of corrections. Then line editing as I engage the publishing mechanisms.

Back to george's post, I like to read. I agree it is immersive and relaxing. And surrounded by kids and screaming, a lot of my reading is the closed captions on the tv i can't hear.  

#6 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11297 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:23 AM

I find reading to be very enjoyable as I get older. I started reading more regularly about 18 months ago, and I’ve probably read more books in that time frame than I did in the previous 18 years

I find it relaxing and de-stressing in a way that TV can’t be

I’m currently reading a book called Mile Marker Zero: The Movable Feast of Key West that explores many of the famous people (mostly writers) who lived in Key West back in the 60s and 70s

#7 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14579 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:28 AM

I just took some time off from work and parenting on a Sunday, and read the three Dennis Taylor Bobiverse books, low-end sci-fi narrated by the AI in an interstellar Von Neumann probe.  That was a good day.

#8 maddog

maddog

Comptroller of badogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7837 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 09:21 AM

I've read the first two-thirds of many, many books.

#9 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16948 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 28 April 2020 - 09:29 AM

I just took some time off from work and parenting on a Sunday, and read the three Dennis Taylor Bobiverse books, low-end sci-fi narrated by the AI in an interstellar Von Neumann probe.  That was a good day.

I liked it.  Last one left me wanting though.

#10 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18293 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:10 PM

I purchased a copy of William Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" close to 30 years ago. I tried and failed to read it about 4 or 5 times and could only get about 40-50 pages in before giving up.

About 2 or 3 years ago I got it from Audible. Close to 60 hours. I was able to get through it with better comprehension than any of the multiple times I tried to read the physical copy. I've actually managed to get completely through it 3 times now.

#11 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14579 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:36 PM

I liked it.  Last one left me wanting though.

I felt like the Bobiverse just kind of petered out without really ending, but it's kind of hard to think of an ending for a self-replicating AI.  It looks like there is a fourth book out now, and also an option for a TV/Netflix series.

#12 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44063 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:46 PM

I felt like the Bobiverse just kind of petered out without really ending, but it's kind of hard to think of an ending for a self-replicating AI. It looks like there is a fourth book out now, and also an option for a TV/Netflix series.

Obviously the AI could evolve to the point where its input can reach down to its output and it loses the need to devote resources toward replication.

#13 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35656 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:07 PM

I felt like the Bobiverse just kind of petered out without really ending, but it's kind of hard to think of an ending for a self-replicating AI.  It looks like there is a fourth book out now, and also an option for a TV/Netflix series.

Supposedly #4 is out to alpha readers, but with the delay in everything I wouldn't expect it before fall if not later.

I don't think these books would make a good TV show at all.  The weakest part of any video adaptation is the difficulty in portraying internal monologue.  That's all the Bob has!  All the time acceleration would be difficult as well, I'd think.

#14 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12041 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 28 April 2020 - 02:37 PM

I liked the first two in that series. I listened to the audiobooks and the actor (?) was really good for the part.

#15 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12033 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 28 April 2020 - 03:06 PM

Been reading a lot since the quarantine.

Rivers of London - fun urban fantasy police procedural

Kings of the Wyld - This is Spinal Tap crossed with fantasy. Fun stuff

The Fisherman - horror done pretty well.

The Grey Bastards - kind of a Mad Max/Sons of Anarchy fantasy mashup.

Now I'm reading through the Discworld series

#16 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18293 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:14 PM

I'm not big on fantasy or sci-fi at all, but this sounds pretty freakin' epic.

#17 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24422 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:14 PM

I try to read every night before going to sleep.  Even if it's only 10 minutes.  I like that better than scrolling through social media on my phone before turning out the light.  

Almost always fantasy or sci fi.  I like disappearing out of "this" world for a little bit each night into some place that couldn't exist.

Although recently I have been reading a novel called Seveneyes.  It was recommended to me by a friend who USUALLY has the same taste in books as I do.  But this is a story about basically the end of the world and the post-apocalyptic scenario is stressing me out.  After just starting the book some "general" (military) in the story asked how many rolls of TP he should hoard for everyone sheltering.  I threw my iPad down and texted my friend despite it being late.  I had to bitch her out for telling me to read this lol...  I am still working on it but I might have to stop.  It's getting a little too close to some current events (despite the scenario in the novel being much more dire)

#18 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22358 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:25 PM

Been reading a lot since the quarantine.

Rivers of London - fun urban fantasy police procedural

The Fisherman - horror done pretty well.

The Grey Bastards - kind of a Mad Max/Sons of Anarchy fantasy mashup.

Now I'm reading through the Discworld series

I've got the grey bastards on tap.

You teach any Brandon Richardson? Wrote altered carbon, and the steel remains series? Good shit.

#19 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14579 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:01 PM

I try to read every night before going to sleep. Even if it's only 10 minutes. I like that better than scrolling through social media on my phone before turning out the light.

Almost always fantasy or sci fi. I like disappearing out of "this" world for a little bit each night into some place that couldn't exist.

Although recently I have been reading a novel called Seveneyes. It was recommended to me by a friend who USUALLY has the same taste in books as I do. But this is a story about basically the end of the world and the post-apocalyptic scenario is stressing me out. After just starting the book some "general" (military) in the story asked how many rolls of TP he should hoard for everyone sheltering. I threw my iPad down and texted my friend despite it being late. I had to bitch her out for telling me to read this lol... I am still working on it but I might have to stop. It's getting a little too close to some current events (despite the scenario in the novel being much more dire)

If you mean Seveneves instead of Seveneyes, that book is awesome for the first 75% but the last 25% with all the flinking is awful.

#20 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12033 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:16 PM

I'm not big on fantasy or sci-fi at all, but this sounds pretty freakin' epic.

It's worth checking out.  A bunch of old guys once well famous have to come out of retirement for one last impossible tour.   There's plenty of humor and nods to the original (funny how drummers bards have a bad habit of dying!).  But this one surprised me in that it had a lot of heart  - the way the characters interact and treat each other is heartwarming. 

I've got the grey bastards on tap.

You teach any Brandon Richardson? Wrote altered carbon, and the steel remains series? Good shit.

I grabbed book 1 along with The Forever War but haven't had a chance to dive in. They're on the pile!

The Grey Bastards was pretty fun, finished it on Sunday. It was the authori's debut, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on him for some of his future work.  I'll pick up the sequel that just came out once it goes on sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users