• 43053 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:15 AM

Lemon and Cranberry “Babcia” Babka

INGREDIENTS:
Bread
1/2 cup warm milk
3 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons yeast(I used SAF- Rapid Rise)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dried cranberries, soaked in hot water for at least a 1/2 hour
and then drained.(Feel free to use any dried fruit you desire)
Syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon extract(orange extract works great too)
Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract(or orange extract)

In a mixer stand add eggs,milk, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix together,  then slowly add the flour until a dough forms. Gently fold in the cranberries until completely incorporated. Cover with a warm moist cloth and let it rise for one hour. 

After one hour you will barely notice any rise in the yeast, not to worry. Transfer dough to greased Bundt pan, making sure to distribute dough evenly, cover to let rise for 30-40 minutes, and preheat your oven at 350f(176c). 

After the second rise, you’ll see  a noticeable change in the dough.(almost doubled in size) Place the Bundt pan on middle rack of oven, and bake for 28-30 minutes. Remove pan from oven and allow  to cool in pan for 15-20 minutes.

While your Babka cools you need to make your syrup. Add 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar, 1/4 cup of water, and 1 teaspoon of  lemon extract( just like with the cranberries,  feel free to substitute and flavor of extract you like) to a small sauce pan on medium high heat. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves, and liquid thickens to a syrup, then remove from heat.

Now that the Babka has cooled down, while still in the pan take either a bamboo skewer, or a chopstick, and put holes all around the bread.(being careful not to pierce thru the other side. Then carefully pour the syrup into the holes(don’t worry it won’t be perfect all of it won’t get in the holes) Let the syrup settle, and the bread continue to cool for another 10 minutes.

During this time make your glaze, by combining 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoon of milk, and lemon(or whatever) flavored extract to a bowl and whisk till combined.

Now to assemble your Babka by carefully flipping the bread out of  the pan, upside down onto a serving plate, and drizzle the glaze all over the bread. Serve with coffee, tea or milk when ready.

Enjoy!

#2 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43053 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:25 PM

I’m making it again, but I’ve tweaked the recipe... I’m using 1 cup of dried cranberries(instead of 1/2), orange extract, instead of lemon, and I’ve added 2 TBS of milk chocolate cocoa, and 2 TBS of dark chocolate cocoa 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users