#41 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44013 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:18 PM

I've grown them both ways and it seems fine.

#42 Matt

Matt

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36587 posts
  • LocationYou Mom’s house

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:16 PM

It’s been raining here on and off since last Sunday can’t wait for clear skies tomorrow 

#43 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8379 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:32 PM

Rosemary is mediterranean.  I can't grow it outdoors here in the ground, it has to go in a pot and come inside.  Basil can't handle a frost.  Lettuce is hardy and only does well when it's cool out.

#44 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44013 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:36 PM

Huh, I've had my rosemary survive until Thanksgiving when everything else has died.

#45 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44013 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 April 2020 - 04:42 AM

okay some of my tomato and basil seeds have popped up between yesterday afternoon and this morning.  none of the bell or hot peppers have come up yet.  it's raining all day here so not much sun to be had as far as I can see.  I can put the tray near a window but the temperature will only be in the mid 60s or I can leave it in the dark at 75F.

what's the better option?

#46 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45676 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:07 AM

Window, they are still getting sun on a cloudy day. Peppers are slow growing. Expect that even after they break soil in a week, they will grow very slow.

#47 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112411 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 13 April 2020 - 05:36 AM

This. Today's about when I'd start seeds inside :P

Yep. A month out from any outside seedlings, and even then it depends on the 10-day forecast.

#48 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8379 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:41 PM

okay some of my tomato and basil seeds have popped up between yesterday afternoon and this morning.  none of the bell or hot peppers have come up yet.  it's raining all day here so not much sun to be had as far as I can see.  I can put the tray near a window but the temperature will only be in the mid 60s or I can leave it in the dark at 75F.

what's the better option?

Peppers take longer than tomatoes and basil.  Patience.

#49 Matt

Matt

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36587 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:43 PM

Some of my sunflowers are starting to peep out

#50 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44013 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:21 AM

I always direct seed green beans.  They don't transplant well at all.  I always start cucumbers and squash indoors.  They don't like their roots disturbed, so large pots and for a max of 2 weeks, and careful transplanting.  I almost never have losses, and I like knowing exactly where my plants are.  It's the gardening technique I was trained in.  Almost everything started before in pots, all summer and into fall as well.  It's not so much to get a jump on the season, but to transplant larger seedlings, know exactly where you want them, and cut down a little on the time to fruit, as well as maximize the harvest.  I can be harvesting lettuce while the cucumbers are in their 2 week starting period.  Then I can thin/harvest a little patch of lettuce to plant the cucumbers in.  Then as the cucumber grows, I am still harvesting lettuce.  Lettuce bolts, but by then the cucumbers are larger and growing up the trellis.  More food, less space.  

I learned from Laura, who learned from her dad.  Laura's dad was half Japanese, from an immigrant family that moved to Hawaii during WWII.  They were some of the ones providing and growing vegetables during WWII.  Maximizing harvests in small spaces was necessary.  That's how Laura learned, so that's how I learned.  My gardening ancestry is Japanese/American/Hawaiian.  

so on the cukes and squash you are saying to start them indoors two weeks before when I'd normally direct seed them outdoors?  how big of a cup/pot would I need to not disturb the roots?  I have some plastic cups somewhere around here.  I also might have a few slightly larger plastic pots out in the shed from past plants I've bought that I could maybe use.

#51 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45676 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:17 AM

Red plastic cup from your beer pong days. Drill a hole in the bottom.

#52 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8379 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:28 PM

Red plastic cup from your beer pong days. Drill a hole in the bottom.

Perfect size.  I start about 2 weeks before I'd pant outside.  I plant plants instead of seeds at the same time, which is early June here.  

#53 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64688 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:31 PM

Peppers take longer than tomatoes and basil.  Patience.

This, peppers are notoriously slow to germinated and are slow growing as seedlings too.

#54 Matt

Matt

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36587 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:35 PM

My Hops are sprouting

#55 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64688 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:45 PM

For me it's almost time to put spuds in the ground, doing Ama Rosa fingerling, Red Norland, Yukon Gold, and Kennebec.

First batch of carrots were seeded the other day, as well as spinach and radishes. Gotta get the lettuce bed prepped now.

Tokyo bunching onions will go in soon as well, seeded them in plugs, and then I'll transplant the plugs once they harden off a bit.

I might have killed half of my regular onions seedlings, I let them get too cold fresh out of the heat mat.  We'll see.

I also have a bunch of lettuce plugs growing to get a jump on salads.

#56 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44013 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2020 - 04:56 AM

So all the tomatoes are up and a couple of the peppers. I've been keeping the plastic cover on during the day to keep the seeds warmer. At night I take it off so the plants don't get too wet in there. Pretty soon I think the tomatoes are going to be too tall for the lid to go on. I could probably cut the tray in half so I could remove the tomatoes and leave the peppers in there but I'd rather not. At some point soon is it okay to have the lid off all the time?

Edited by Mando, 16 April 2020 - 04:57 AM.

#57 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45676 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:12 AM

You can have the lid off all the time, just make sure the soil stays moist but not wet. The only temperature requirement for tomato plants is they don't experience frost, they will grow fine with temps above 50°. When your pepper plants get older, about 3 sets of leaves, you want to back off on the soil being moist everyday. They want the soil to become low on moisture before watering. When the pepper plants get their 4th set of leaves, cut the top of the plants off just below the 4th set of leaves. They will look pathetic for a week or so, but this makes them grow into a bush and provide more fruit. If you don't top them, they can get leggy and the stalk might not support the weight of the fruit.

Edited by Zaphod_Beeblebrox, 16 April 2020 - 05:15 AM.

#58 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45676 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:14 AM

#59 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44013 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2020 - 06:09 AM

I'll check back on that video when they get a little larger. Thanks for sharing that as I had no idea about pruning peppers. I'm pretty good with tomatoes once they are a little bigger though.
Oh yeah, just to be clear some of my peppers are hot peppers and some are bell.

#60 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45676 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:07 AM

You grow them the same way, including pruning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users