strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1213 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:23 AM

Are those bugs red? Looks like a mite.

If they aren't damaging anything it's probably predatory (your friend) but if there is damage to the foliage it's probably a spider mites. There would also be a lot of them I think.

They are red/brown in color. Definitely not a bright red and yea there are a ton of them.

No damage to my greens but haven't seen these particular bugs before so wasn't sure what to expect.

#442 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44101 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:32 AM

Could be something else altogether. Just a guess on my part. Does completely submerging the lettuce get them off?

#443 Bevis Christ

Bevis Christ

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36651 posts
  • LocationYou Mom’s house

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:53 PM

The sunflowers I planted in the front yard 3 months ago opened up today..

46-FBB378-1-AE9-4130-8906-35-A273483-A8-

the ones in the back yard bloomed 3 weeks back, and today I cut them down and harvested the heads. They’re drying now, I’ll keep at least one head for next years flowers. I think Basser wants one so I’ll save it for him when he rolls thru. I’m already filling the ground and going to plant MOAR!

#444 Bevis Christ

Bevis Christ

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36651 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:56 AM

Ok... I’ve started processing sunflower heads... originally I wasn’t going to toast any, but after many inquiries/requests it’s happening. I’m starting with the backyard ones...

28-B69942-78-A8-4654-B81-E-9-BEF358-F1-B

E79369-D4-5230-4844-BC04-E3-E2-FD1-CA5-F

E04-B1930-D2-E2-4493-8415-194-D3850-B541

I’ll have 12-13 more heads to process over the next month. I’m going to reseed immediately(because I can), store some for next year, and then I’m going to make spicy and salty seeds with the rest

#445 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8875 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:01 PM

Been preserving and processing...

So far I've done: 50ish quarts of beans.  14 quarts of sauce. Probably 2 buckets of peppers, and we dug 325 lbs of potatoes on the weekend... And we're just getting good and started!

#446 Bevis Christ

Bevis Christ

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36651 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:05 PM

Saw your FB posts... Your “sweat shop labor force” is amazing :D They sure look like they were having a blast

#447 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64721 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:02 PM

Been preserving and processing...

So far I've done: 50ish quarts of beans.  14 quarts of sauce. Probably 2 buckets of peppers, and we dug 325 lbs of potatoes on the weekend... And we're just getting good and started!

how many row feet of spuds and what varieties are those spuds?

we had such a cool wet spring my tomatoes and pepper are about a week behind schedule, but the sauce apocalypse will be upon us soon

#448 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8875 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:15 PM

how many row feet of spuds and what varieties are those spuds?

we had such a cool wet spring my tomatoes and pepper are about a week behind schedule, but the sauce apocalypse will be upon us soon

Hell I don't know how many feet...

I planted 5 lbs of reds, 5 lbs of goldens and 20 lbs of kennebecks.  Of course the kids mixed the golds and the kennebecks.  :facepalm:

#449 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64721 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:38 AM

Hell I don't know how many feet...

I planted 5 lbs of reds, 5 lbs of goldens and 20 lbs of kennebecks.  Of course the kids mixed the golds and the kennebecks.  :facepalm:

whoopsies

I planted 2.5 # of Red Norland, 2.5# of Yukon Gold, 2.5# of Red Viking and 3.5# of Ama Rosa fingerling

#450 Bevis Christ

Bevis Christ

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36651 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:12 PM

All my front yard sunflowers are In full bloom.... I figure I’ll be cutting off the heads come Tuesday OT Wednesday. I’ve read to let them sun dry until the petals turn from bright yellow to orange and become shriveled up... I have a few that never got big, and they just opened up, and will look much better in a vase inside, rather than withering away in the sun.(Plus these ones eont have mature seeds

I bought Sunchoke tubers on amazon today... I’ll be planting them in September, I’ve never grown them(I’ve only harvested wild ones) And they’re delicious

#451 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8875 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted Yesterday, 08:46 PM

24 quarts of tomato juice/sauce tonight.

I start and run the first batch as soon as the canner is hot... Let the remainder keep cooking and keep adding juice as the tomatoes get processed.

All in all, 15 gallons of raw tomatoes into 24 quarts of product

#452 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85641 posts

Posted Today, 02:12 AM

The only thing I'm growing right now (outdoors) is raspberries. Getting about a pint every other day. I love raspberries but man I wish they all came in at once

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users