#21 Matt

Matt

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36604 posts
  • LocationYou Mom’s house

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:20 PM

Muh toe-maters have been going full time the last month and are already about 16” tall.

Muh peppers are about 12” and showing the first blossoms.

Basil went in the ground yesterday.

What varieties you go with?

#22 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44034 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:29 PM

can I keep these in my ferm chamber with the controller set to 75F until they poke through?  I wouldn't think light would be necessary yet.  my house is currently at 65F most of the time.

Edited by Mando, 08 April 2020 - 02:30 PM.

#23 Matt

Matt

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36604 posts
  • LocationYou Mom’s house

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

I got 2 cascade rhizomes the other day, I planted one, and I’m trying to figure out the location for the other

#24 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45679 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

Yes, 75 will work, just make sure the soil stays moist, but not water soaked.

#25 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8381 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:00 PM

I've got 10 trays of tomatoes started.  5 of those are pre-orders before I cut off plant orders.  The rest are for me.  2 trays of peppers and eggplants, a tray of cabbage and leeks and onions, and then there's the little tray of my expensive babies.  

No grow lights here.  All started in the inner greenhouse inside the big one.  It gets warm in there.  3 heat mats, a space heater, and then the outer greenhouse to keep things at a decent temp.  The tomatoes should start popping in a couple of days.

Outside I have a bed of spinach, a small planter with some peas, and then I just planted 5 kinds of Fava Beans.  i have some greens to plant in the next couple of days, and then on to lettuce.  Indoors I'll be starting to outfit the greenhouse for hydroponics.  I have a full set of shelving to install, old shelving to remove, pumps to set-up, etc.  Once it's all put together it's going to be SWEET.  Just set timers, fill the water reservoirs and watch the peppers and eggplants grow.  And the creole tomatoes.  I need lots of those seeds, and I figure the warmer climate will help them grow fast and give me good seed stock.

#26 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44034 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:03 PM

Yes, 75 will work, just make sure the soil stays moist, but not water soaked.

and light not necessary until they break through?

#27 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4126 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:50 PM

We’re just getting our starters going. We’re about 4 weeks behind the curve.

Ancho Chile’s. Bell peppers. Brandy wine and a cherry tomatoe are all going now.

Waiting on a rototiller to get the garden turned up to direct sow some bush beans. Chard. Onions. Zucchini squash and watermelon.

Some herbs are waiting on pots. We’ll get there. Cilantro parsley and dill.

#28 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85461 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:09 PM

and light not necessary until they break through?

Correct. A handful of things need light to germinate but if you were growing those things, it'd say so on the seed packet.

#29 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44034 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:12 PM

Correct. A handful of things need light to germinate but if you were growing those things, it'd say so on the seed packet.

this is just maters, basil, bell peppers and a couple of hot peppers

#30 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85461 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:14 PM

Yeah, all of those will come up without any light.

#31 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29995 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:40 PM

Two neighbors had a couple side by side trees taken out today.  Several small beds that had no direct sunlight are going to be happy.  And those trees blocked the last hour or so of direct sunlight to the pool.  I was wondering where I could find halfway decent places to plant some of the seedlings in the basement.  Nice little surprise

#32 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44034 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:46 PM

Is it worth while to start cucumbers, squash or green beans early? Normally I just start those outside around memorial day.

#33 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4126 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:53 PM

We just got starters going the other day. Super late. We’ll just transfer once they’re established.

Edited by Ineedacatscan, 09 April 2020 - 06:53 PM.

#34 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45679 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:55 PM

Cucumbers and green beans are so fast growing I wouldn't rush them early. They also won't take off until your temps outside are warmed up at night. Squash is always good to start early. It grows pretty steady so you get to harvest quicker.

Edited by Zaphod_Beeblebrox, 09 April 2020 - 06:56 PM.

#35 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8842 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:04 PM

Is it worth while to start cucumbers, squash or green beans early? Normally I just start those outside around memorial day.

In my opinion, no. I think they do better direct seeded. Transplants always have high losses.

#36 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8381 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:09 AM

I always direct seed green beans.  They don't transplant well at all.  I always start cucumbers and squash indoors.  They don't like their roots disturbed, so large pots and for a max of 2 weeks, and careful transplanting.  I almost never have losses, and I like knowing exactly where my plants are.  It's the gardening technique I was trained in.  Almost everything started before in pots, all summer and into fall as well.  It's not so much to get a jump on the season, but to transplant larger seedlings, know exactly where you want them, and cut down a little on the time to fruit, as well as maximize the harvest.  I can be harvesting lettuce while the cucumbers are in their 2 week starting period.  Then I can thin/harvest a little patch of lettuce to plant the cucumbers in.  Then as the cucumber grows, I am still harvesting lettuce.  Lettuce bolts, but by then the cucumbers are larger and growing up the trellis.  More food, less space.  

I learned from Laura, who learned from her dad.  Laura's dad was half Japanese, from an immigrant family that moved to Hawaii during WWII.  They were some of the ones providing and growing vegetables during WWII.  Maximizing harvests in small spaces was necessary.  That's how Laura learned, so that's how I learned.  My gardening ancestry is Japanese/American/Hawaiian.  

#37 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45679 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:02 AM

I have always started my cucumbers in cups, just so I can place them. I don't do it to get an early start, they don't really take off until the temps are correct.

#38 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • LocationBalmer, Merlin, Hon

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:00 AM

A co-worker always started his squash late. Stops them pesky squash borers.

#39 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44034 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 April 2020 - 01:46 PM

I bought a few plants at walmart the other day b/c I happened to be there.  a small rosemary plant, a medium pot with a couple of types of lettuce in it and couple types of basil.

since it's hailing outside right now I'm going to assume it's not a good idea to put those outside just yet ;)

but I know rosemary is pretty hardy so can I plant that outside soon?  how about the lettuce?  I know the basil is unlikely to be very happy about it so I'll keep that in the garage near the window for now and pop those outside on sunny days. 

#40 Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45679 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:07 PM

Lettuce is tough, it can handle it. I always grow rosemary and basil in pots. It has always grown best for me if I check the soil and only water when necessary.

I have never planted either in the ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users