10 replies to this topic

#1 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

Comptroller of Delusional Berkley Hippie Types

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22182 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:40 PM

Mounted the bar on my studs, and it looks like I was two inches too long for the bar to fit perfectly.

I forced the sides in, and got it screwed together. Secured to ceiling with 9/16 4" lag bolts, 4 to a side. No wiggle in the bar at all when I use it.

My question is am I risking anything with keeping 14 guage steel bent at a 10ish degree angle? I want to reinstall this at my new place, and don't want to damage anything here. I can't see it going anywhere though. I don't think the steel is bending, more just "tilting" from where it's mounted at the ceiling.

Anyway, I feel like I'm explaining this poorly. Asnswer my question anyway!
https://www.ebay.com...c10#UserReviews

#2 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111633 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:27 PM

TWSS

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33468 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:51 PM

So the pull up bar part section is bent or the mounting T's are bent?

If the mounting T's bent you risk tearing out the lag bolts because they dont have full thread engagement. If the bar is bent you risk buckling the bar. Is it a bar or a tube?

#4 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22182 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:57 PM

The mounting T's are straight, but angled slightly. It is a bar.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33468 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:01 PM

Then the only thing I'd worry about is the threading for the bar. It's not going to be as good being preloaded in bending and you might find it fails sooner after 10k reps or so. Then again if it's cheap Chinese pot metal then it who knows.

#6 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11499 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:37 PM

It will hold, I have used similar bars in the past. Very solid product s typically.

#7 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11499 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:46 PM

Then the only thing I'd worry about is the threading for the bar. It's not going to be as good being preloaded in bending and you might find it fails sooner after 10k reps or so. Then again if it's cheap Chinese pot metal then it who knows.

That bar itself is not likely to bend, the supports are the only question. I don't think they will be an issue however. I used this one for years without issue though i did not bend anything. 30-40 reps 2 times a week 200-210# and had no issues. amazon.com/gp/product/B003H7Z2YC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33468 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:08 PM

That bar itself is not likely to bend, the supports are the only question. I don't think they will be an issue however. I used this one for years without issue though i did not bend anything. 30-40 reps 2 times a week 200-210# and had no issues. amazon.com/gp/product/B003H7Z2YC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The stress concentration will be in the threading that's in bending and shear. Not ideal preloading scenario. I don't think it will break right away, but it's lifespan will be shorter. Things that have cyclical loading develop stress fractures over time, and things that aren't properly loaded will develop those problems sooner and usually fail catastrophically. Add in that it could be a cheap chinese knock off and you can bet that the material isn't as high quality.

Is it safe? Yeah, probably. But dont expect it to last for 10 years. 

#9 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22182 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:28 AM

Yeah, think about football goal posts, slightly wider at maybe 8 degrees, probably closer to 5. I think the angle is coming from the top, not any bending in the steel.

It also came with some big-ass anchors, but I think I trust the current setup more than I do anchors going I to drywall in the ceiling on one side.

#10 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20576 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:31 AM

The mounting T's are straight, but angled slightly. 

It's best to compress them slightly, while letting them stretch out.  

#11 Julius H Gardetto

Julius H Gardetto

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22182 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:35 AM

Called the place, they said likely QC issue. Down bar should be on inside of the t, not outside. That would account for the difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users