#1 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111635 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:47 PM

The little taunting/emoji bubble from Clash Royale is actually burned into my phone's screen. I didn't even think that could happen anymore!

I may have a problem.

#2 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23547 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:51 PM

it's probably not burned into your screen.

it's burned into your eyes.

#3 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111635 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:52 PM

I figured that was the 'rona.

#4 oui per

oui per

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9491 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:56 PM

Huh. Bet that never happens on an iPhone

#5 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8241 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:59 PM

Huh. Bet that never happens on an iPhone

Certainly not. Some upgrade bricks or neuteres them long before that point

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38064 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:21 PM

Certainly not. Some upgrade bricks or neuteres them long before that point

Ehhh. I had a 6 til last year and my wife had a 5c. I upgraded because I dropped my phone a few times and it eventually broke. Hers still worked but was short on memory so I just upgraded us both to XRs. That was 5 or so years with our phones and no issue with upgrade bricks or tube ties or whatever. Technology did advance tho, which made the upgrade worthwhile. The cameras are pretty good, they are pretty fast and always work.

Granted I’m not as tech savvy as most on here but Apple makes nice stuff. I’m not gonna be the guy waiting in line at 2 am the night before the next release. But I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another iPhone someday at this point.

#7 oui per

oui per

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9491 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:27 PM

Granted I’m not as tech savvy as most on here but Apple makes nice stuff. I’m not gonna be the guy waiting in line at 2 am the night before the next release. But I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another iPhone someday at this point.

100%

#8 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45970 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 March 2020 - 12:55 AM

My apple products have been better than my Samsung products though I wouldn't call the Samsung ones "bad".

#9 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42391 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:41 AM

My apple products have been better than my Samsung products though I wouldn't call the Samsung ones "bad".

Might be related to blood type

#10 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111635 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:50 AM

Apple makes reasonably solid consumer grade stuff for a very specific purpose and use window. If that is the specific problem you're trying to address, it's hard to do better at that price point. But as a general purpose mobile computing platform, they suck. That's why you see most engineers and technology people favoring Android. And Samsung makes a quality Android based device for tier 1 consumer mobile.

#11 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82544 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:00 AM

That's pretty accurate. It seems like if all you want is for it to "just work", and the specific way that Apple has decided it must work is acceptable to you, iOS is probably okay. If you're not intimidated by flexibility and can accept a little more hands-on in exchange for a freer experience that gives the end-user more choices, Android is definitely the way to go.

#12 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8699 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:05 AM

Android is for people who want to nerd out on a phone. I just want my phone to work. Is it locked down more than a droid phone? Yes, but in my experience it’s a more stable platform.

#13 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82544 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:10 AM

Right. It's like, if you want a car that starts up every time and gets you to work and you never have to think about it, you buy a Camry. If you want performance and don't mind some fiddling, you do like JKor and buy a Porsche.

I'm not really a "car guy" so I drive a Camry (I really do. Auto transmission, even.) But I'm definitely a "fiddling with computers" guy, so Android is my choice.

#14 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8699 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:37 AM

Years ago I was anti-Apple mostly because of seeing the ex using iTunes. It was bloated to say the least but they’ve streamlined since then. I got fed up with a galaxy I owned and made the switch. Where apple hooked me is the seamless integration of their devices.

My uncle called the other day and I was in the sunroom with the MacBook and my phone was in the kitchen. Call came in, I hit accept and started talking. I can text message from the MacBook too. Android likely offers similar perks but Apple makes it so easy. I’m ona laptop most everyday at work troubleshooting electronics and when I get home the last thing I want to do is geek out on a phone. My galaxy was always buggy and it drove me nuts. That may no longer be the case with them but I’ve been hooked since making the switch and will likely never go back.

I get the allure of both though and see why people are fans of droid.

Edited by VolFan, 26 March 2020 - 06:42 AM.

#15 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111635 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:46 AM

The abortion that is iTunes is a completely separate issue.  Or at least it should be.  I think Apple has at least recognized that more recently, but when they were intimately tied together, it alone was a reason to stay away from iStuff.

@ Volfan, I have to chuckle at the irony of someone with a Jeep avatar complaining about something that's flaky and breaks a lot with the benefits being that it's highly modifiable, flexible, and a lot of fun.  :P

#16 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8699 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:53 AM

Fair point but the Jeep is mechanical, I get my electronics fix at work. :)

Edit: I should also add that in the 6 months of owning the Jeep it has proven to be more reliable than my old galaxy. :D

Edited by VolFan, 26 March 2020 - 07:01 AM.

#17 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45970 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:21 AM

Yeah, the forced itunes integration is what kept me away for a long time.

#18 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2174 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:33 AM

My career is supporting Apple, and even I hate iTunes. 

Also, I use a $100 iPhone SE... I'm not paying a grand for a phone! (I can't unlock it with my face, but who cares!)

#19 oui per

oui per

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9491 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:40 AM

Right. It's like, if you want a car that starts up every time and gets you to work and you never have to think about it, you buy a Camry. If you want performance and don't mind some fiddling, you do like JKor and buy a Porsche.

I'm not really a "car guy" so I drive a Camry (I really do. Auto transmission, even.) But I'm definitely a "fiddling with computers" guy, so Android is my choice.

Jkor has a Porsche?

#20 the_stain

the_stain

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82544 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:42 AM

Yep. He keeps it in his giant oven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users