#1 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21142 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:28 PM

I have a $5k deductible and 20% after that for quite a bit of coin, last year we spent $8k which was primarily the wife and quite a bit for some reoccuring numbness in parts of hands, etc.  Anyways turns out the C5-C6 and C6-C7 disks are pinching her spinal column notably and she's gonna need a fusion.  Not making light of the stress and stuff that will occur around dealing with all that but iirc she has like $500 deductible and maybe $1500-2000 max out of pocket range, pretty sure that just saved a financial nut punch as we just started making up some ground which would have just poured the stress onto the situation.

Sounds like it'll take ~6weeks for insurance clearance and scheduling, overnight hospital recovery, 6weeks neck brace (not allowed to drive), and then like 9mo of ramping up actively allowance afterwards.

Edited by pods8, 13 February 2020 - 05:28 PM.

#2 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41739 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:35 PM

Sorry for all that, but nice on the insurance. We're switching from what you have now to like a 12k deductable, 30% coinsurance until 17k. For twice the price.

No one is ever getting medical care again.

Anyway, take care man. Hope she feels better!

#3 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32303 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:39 PM

I'm shopping health insurance. Ugh.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33222 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:01 PM

Make sure to get a few opinions on her necessity for surgery and what type. TPW had back surgery several months ago and had severe protruding discs in similar areas but didn't need fusion.

#5 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21142 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:59 PM

No real need even we can see on the MRI imagery the disks are HEAVILY pinching the spinal column, both the orthopedic and surgeon agreed on diagnosis (before the surgeon look at the other diagnosis), she has had off/on numbness and tingling in the areas affected by that compressIon for over a year. She has already done rounds of PT, steroids, etc. prior to the MRI.

Her dominant arm tricep is weakened (she didn’t notice due to compensation). If there wasn’t on going numbness and atrophy the surgeon would want to monitor and not cut as a recommendation. He is concerned with the atrophy, he said could do focused PT short term to work on trying to combat the atrophy but if that didn’t mitigate he recommended proceeding. But the reality is it’s basically a matter of when not if, it’s a genetic degeneration going on. In her future life she will likely have to deal with L4-L5 and possibly L3-L4.

In the meantime due to the compromise she is higher risk for paralysis with any neck trauma (car accident, a hard fall if she wanted to snowboard/ski again). With all that in mind she’s fairly certain she’ll proceed with things and just get it over with.

Her option is fusion or artificial disks but her neck geometry isn’t suitable for discs so those would most likely cause pain if she tried to go with them.

Edited by pods8, 13 February 2020 - 10:03 PM.

#6 JKor

JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45071 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:05 AM

I have a $5k deductible and 20% after that for quite a bit of coin, last year we spent $8k which was primarily the wife and quite a bit for some reoccuring numbness in parts of hands, etc.  Anyways turns out the C5-C6 and C6-C7 disks are pinching her spinal column notably and she's gonna need a fusion.  Not making light of the stress and stuff that will occur around dealing with all that but iirc she has like $500 deductible and maybe $1500-2000 max out of pocket range, pretty sure that just saved a financial nut punch as we just started making up some ground which would have just poured the stress onto the situation.

Sounds like it'll take ~6weeks for insurance clearance and scheduling, overnight hospital recovery, 6weeks neck brace (not allowed to drive), and then like 9mo of ramping up actively allowance afterwards.

It's all because you made her get a job!!!

#7 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21142 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:08 AM

It's all because you made her get a job!!!

This came up while she was teaching fitness classes, at the time I was irritated the activity seemed to have triggered a lot of medical costs which the pay didn’t come close to covering. In reality they may have played a role in expediting the timing but sounds like this was coming either way.

But now that she has single coverage insurance with associated lower deductible and out of pocket max it won’t put another large financial strain on the family with the higher exposure that comes with any family coverage plan (mine is better than hers thus I still carry the kids, hers is good for the employee though).

#8 SnowMan

SnowMan

Advanced Snowman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8006 posts
  • LocationSunman, IN

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:11 AM

Vibes. Neck and spine surgery is no joke.

#9 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4073 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:19 PM

I'm shopping health insurance. Ugh.

Do yourself a favor and get a CPA now.
Projections of income after business deductions may get you into the realm of subsidies that you may not initially think you would qualify for.
I switched to an S Corp and saved $17 o in income taxes this year as well as qualifying for subsidies.

#10 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4073 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:21 AM

Do yourself a favor and get a CPA now.
Projections of income after business deductions may get you into the realm of subsidies that you may not initially think you would qualify for.
I switched to an S Corp and saved $17k in income taxes this year as well as qualifying for subsidies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users